Thread: RPGCast - Episode 205: "Paper Trashbin Fart Fighter"

Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflict Administrator sabin1001's Avatar

RPGCast - Episode 205: "Paper Trashbin Fart Fighter"

RPGCast - Episode 205: "Paper Trashbin Fart Fighter"

What does 2012 hold? Cthulu is off to save the world on all platforms. Nintendo is going to offer DLC. The RPG Cast crew is designing a new iPhone game and fixing Final Fantasy.

You can find the links to all our stories on delicious: http://delicious.com/rpgamer/205

RPGCast streams live, sometimes on Friday at 10 PM Eastern / 7 PM Pacific, usually on Saturday at Noon Eastern / 9 AM Pacific.

Leave your feedback in the following ways!
    Post in this thread.
    Email us at podcast@rpgamer.com
    Leave us a voicemail at (608) 729-4098
    Email us an mp3 or m4a voicemail at podcast@rpgamer.com

Download the show: "Paper Trashbin Fart Fighter"
    Subscribe to the feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/Rpgcast
    Subscribe in iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...t?id=264306390
    Subscribe your Zune: Zune Player Link

New Member New Registered User moenki's Avatar

RPGCast rocks!

Don't let overcritical iTunes reviews get you down, Chris! The awkward pauses, unplanned silences, and flat-falling jokes are all part of the comedic timing and fun that's inherent in the show. Cut it out, and you'll be more of a straight-laced RPG-related video game podcast, but you'll lose so much of RPGCast's charm and earnesty. I've been a fan for almost 2 years now and still as big a fan as ever; don't change!

35 minutes in: I don't recall a nickname function in Persona 3 Portable, just the first/last name. Devil Survivor Overclocked DID ask for first, last and nickname though. (Unrelated, but does Tiansi sound Japanese enough to fit as a last name in the SMT universe?)
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups

Quia ego sic dico RPGamer Staff Severin Mira's Avatar
    Don't recall P3P or P4 having one either, although Persona 2: Innocent Sin does have one. Was a nice touch to mix things up a bit.
    "If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU), severin-US (US) | Skype: severinmk
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevirain Kristinger (Leviathan)

Quote Originally Posted by Shaymin View Post
    (Unrelated, but does Tiansi sound Japanese enough to fit as a last name in the SMT universe?)
    Be Tiansi if you like it. "Not really" was my immediate response to your question--even if you take Ti as Chi and Si as Shi, Chianshi definitely does not sound like a typical Japanese surname. But on the other hand, there are a lot of Japanese names in videogames, anime, light novels, etc. that are contrived, obscure, or odd (there are entire anime with casts of characters all with weird names that form puns and such). So actually, it doesn't matter. I think Tianshi or Chianshi sounds cool, certainly better than spending the entire game as Marshmallow or something.

If you really want an authentic Japanese surname for your P3P character, look at some credits in a game manual for a nice looking name or find some simple phrase that you like that you can find kanji for. (E.g. If I wanted a Japanese-sounding alias...my name "Douglas" means something like "black/dark water" and was the name of a river... Kurokawa means "black river" and not only sounds like an authentic Japanese surname, it so happens to be a Japanese surname too!)
    Last edited by Just Doug; 01-07-2012 at 05:38 PM.
    "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
    Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Shakespeare, Hamlet Act I, Scene 5

"You need mad bank for lobster cash." - Sabin1001

[Tangent]

My favourite Japanese name pun belongs to a Touhou character, Keine Kamishirasawa.

"Keine" (慧音) means "wise sound", which meakes sense, she's a teacher. Her surname "Kamishirasawa" (上白沢) literally means "upper stream of a white valley", which doesn't make much sense. However, the kanji 上白沢 can be read as "ue-hakutaku", which becomes "were-hakutaku". This refers to her ability to change into a hakutaku (A being from Chinese mythology) on the night of a full moon.

The series is full of little jokes like this.

[/Tangent]

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

Releaser of Heavy Metal LegendaryZoltan's Avatar
    Awesome show guys.

Chris, you said that you think if Final Fantasy can be fixed by keeping the old school style and polishing it as opposed to trying something new every time. That's exactly what Dragon Quest does (At least up to VIII) but you said in a negative way that "Dragon Quest is traditional for the sake of tradition." Check and mate!
    Like RPGs? Then you will like my RPG comedy show. Watch free RIGHT HERE!

FaceBook | Twitter | Website

When Lost Odyssey came out people complained that it was too traditional, too slow, and too closely resembled variously Final Fantasy games. It currently has an even lower critic score than FFXIII on gamerankings and, from what I recall, sold like ****. What makes people think that making the next Final Fantasy game a "traditional" JRPG would give people what they want?

They long for the, "Good old days"?

There are segments of the fanbase that will never be satisfied. There are too many "sacred cows" that are held on to.

Personally I've enjoyed each game more and more since 7 with one exception and if the series regressed I'd probably stop playing. That each title is fresh is willing to mix things up is the main thing that keeps me interested in the series and will keep me coming back in the future.

And if you were thinking that the one title was Final Fantasy 9, you'd be correct.

Quote Originally Posted by ThroneofDravaris View Post
    When Lost Odyssey came out people complained that it was too traditional, too slow, and too closely resembled variously Final Fantasy games. It currently has an even lower critic score than FFXIII on gamerankings and, from what I recall, sold like ****. What makes people think that making the next Final Fantasy game a "traditional" JRPG would give people what they want?
    Lost Odyssey has probably sold better than any non-ff console JRPG of this generation. The critic scores only really reflect the idiocy of the critics in question, and their naive belief that the new console generation would lead to a new paradigm in JRPGs, rather than a backwards step like FFXIII.
    Lusipurr.com: One man's monument to himself!
    9 out of 10 Dentists recomend UNDERBOOB!

Nah man it sucks. I played it.
    Last edited by Drav; 01-08-2012 at 07:38 AM.

While I don't put much stake in critics and reviews, I do so more than the rantings of people around the net. My general experience is that those that dislike something crow a lot louder and longer than those that like it and are the least reliable source of how good or bad a game is.

Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff Nyx's Avatar
    Recettear is the item shop game, and Chantelise the action-RPG in the vein of the Ys games. Yay for mixing them up! ;

Quote Originally Posted by ThroneofDravaris View Post
    Nah man it sucks. I played it.
    Worse than Final Fantasy XIII? A game which was essentially a tube with huge chunks of painful cutscenes.

Lost Odyssey might not have been the greatest RPG ever, but it seems difficult to justify giving Final Fantasy XIII a higher score.

Also, if you want to talk about sales numbers, you must consider that Lost Odyssey was an Xbox 360 exclusive, something that was definitely detrimental for a JRPG.

Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflict Administrator sabin1001's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyx View Post
    Recettear is the item shop game, and Chantelise the action-RPG in the vein of the Ys games. Yay for mixing them up! ;
    Hey, most shows wouldn't have even spent time wondering if there was a difference! Give me some credit!