Thread: RPG Backtrack: Episode 62 - Bio Hazard Level 4

Code: Kirin RPGamer Staff JuMeSyn's Avatar

RPG Backtrack: Episode 62 - Bio Hazard Level 4

New York cops have it rough a lot of the time, but Aya Brea would gladly tackle some drug dealers instead of the evil mitochondria monsters that came one Christmas. Her life just got weirder from there.
    Surprisingly NOT about Die Hard - mostly.
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

Staff Healer RPGamer Staff TwinBahamut's Avatar
    I finally finished Parasite Eve 2 a few days ago. I wish I had managed to do so before we recorded the backtrack, because I'm actually surprised by a few things... The variety of New Game+ modes is rather interesting, and combined with the rewards for multiple playthroughs it actually gives the game some interesting replay value. It actually reminds me of replaying something like a good Metal Gear Solid game (even if the quality of the gameplay isn't quite up to the same standard), which is a compliment in my book.

Angel-Possessed Priestess Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    Though I'm sure the idea of mitochondria becoming rogue is ludicrous however you look at it, I can sort of see where it would come from. Mitochondria have their own DNA, and according to the most likely theory, it's because early in eukaryote evolution, mitochondria were their own organisms, perhaps a type of bacteria. These bacteria took to living and eventually incorporating their DNA into the nucleus of larger host cells, becoming part of them as organelles. Not having played any of the games, I can only guess that these menacing organelles want to become their own free-living organisms again in a big way.

Regardless, it's interesting to know that MegaTen isn't the only RPG series/franchise based on Japanese novels.
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

Staff Healer RPGamer Staff TwinBahamut's Avatar
    As a random bit of trivia, the chloroplasts in plants that perform photosynthesis are also a formerly independent life-form that have their own DNA code despite being an organelle now. Whenever the characters in Parasite Eve start taking the who mitochondria thing too far, my mind wanders over to imagining some kind of bizarre parasite war between super-mitochondria and super-chloroplasts...

My mind scares me sometimes.

I've got Parasite Eve 1 on my shelf and may bust it out at some point, but it sounds like I can skip 2. And definitely skip 3rd Birthday, since I needed a long shower after hearing the description of how they treat Aya.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups

Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflict Administrator sabin1001's Avatar
    I don't know if Draconis found another way to let you know, or if you've already fixed it, but as of 3 weeks ago, your voicemail number wasn't working.

There! (finally crosses it off to-do list).

Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff jcservant's Avatar
    Hey...Yeah, but I finally got to that email. Darn holidays put me behind. I've set up the following number:
    (801) 810-5597 . I've tested it several times, and it does seem to work. So, if you have questions or comments, give us a call! Or, if you want to review or just talk about a game that is 2 years old or older, call in and tell the world about it! We'll get it on the next RPGBacktrack!