Thread: Final Fantasy Origins Now on PSN

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar

Final Fantasy Origins Now on PSN

Is there anybody left in the universe who hasn't played Final Fantasy I and II? If so, one of the better remakes of the two games is up on the PlayStation Network starting this week.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Pretty much...
    I find it sad and embarrassing that I own Origins for the PSX, GBA and iOS but I have yet to FINISH THEM!

Although, it's nice to see these being released as one entity.

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    I'll have to get it, as I need to do a mandatory replay of FF2, just for DAT STORY! The gameplay...I'll consider it to be a partial run of a SaGa game.

PSP's already got superior versions, and PS3 can already play the original disc. Utterly pointless release other than for digital download fanboys.
    I'm He Who Lurks, and I'm AWESOME!

Quote Originally Posted by He Who Lurks View Post
    PSP's already got superior versions, and PS3 can already play the original disc. Utterly pointless release other than for digital download fanboys.
    How much better is the PSP version of FF1 and FF2 compared to the PS1 version? I never got them since I already had the hardcopy of Origins (now long since dead).

Have towel will travel Member shoptroll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkRPGMaster View Post
    How much better is the PSP version of FF1 and FF2 compared to the PS1 version? I never got them since I already had the hardcopy of Origins (now long since dead).
    Higher resolution sprites and another bonus dungeon for each game I think.
    So long & thanks for all the fish!

Quote Originally Posted by shoptroll View Post
    Higher resolution sprites and another bonus dungeon for each game I think.
    I'm not a fan of the bonus dungeons for these games, as a lot of them just make me go MEH due to the fact that they don't really add anything to the story. Higher resolution sprites are nice, but for me they don't really matter much at all.

I still have the game disc in almost perfect condition as it was also the last PS1 game I bought. The only way I will re-buy them is if they release a PS3 HD remastered edition of the PSP games in PSN store.
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkRPGMaster View Post
    Also they have a traditional MP system whether that is an improvement to you or not.

Quote Originally Posted by He Who Lurks View Post
    Actually the PSP edition of FF1 is terrible for the horribly easy difficulty(borrowed from the GBA version) and doesn't include the hard mode that Origins has. When you use the afore mentioned "Hard Mode" Origins maintains the 8-bit knock you down, hurt you and kill you of the original while fixing things like elemental weaknesses. For me the difficulty is why FF1 holds up today as you have to work for everything....but I will say it's only worth the download if you don't already have the disk...
    FFXI Character name: Shadowneko Server: Quetzalcoatl Main Jobs: lvl 76 THF, lvl 95 Summoner, lvl 39 Dragoon

My VAPS Entry,

The only thing that I find really difficult in the original version Final Fantasy 1 is that there are certain enemies that can wipe you out before you can do anything about it (cockatrice, pyrolisks, mindflayers, frost wolves, and gas dragons off the top of my head - some of these names are from latter versions). These enemies can either stone or One Hit KO your characters and can do so before your characters can even act. This in and of itself isn't really difficult to me but rather cheap. The only areas that I find particularly difficult are the swamp cave, ice cave, and the final area and that is largely impart to the aforementioned enemies.

Once you get the air ship you can start finding items that alleviate the issue of having limited magic, and there is a sword which can be used as an item and One Hit KO entire groups of enemies and even a major boss.

Personally I'd recommend Origins if you just have to have the almost original version with wonderfully updated graphics and music. Otherwise, I prefer the Anniversary version on the PSP or iOS.

FF1 is easy even on hard. The only thing you need to do is grind to Lv.10 in the first area.
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.