Thread: Save vs News - Wizards Announces New Edition of Dungeons & Dragons

Dread News Editor RPGamer Staff Fowl Sorcerous's Avatar

Post Save vs News - Wizards Announces New Edition of Dungeons & Dragons

no one has stated what the title of of 5th edition will be, my mind is split between 90's sequel mode where it has a one word subtitle starting with the letter R or the current trend in reboots where they just call it 'dungeons & dragons' with no qualifiers.

http://www.rpgamer.com/savingthrow/news/011112.html

While I agree that 4e has some problems (especially the lack of consistent vision and solid product follow-through) I don't think the solution was to toss out the system that has only been out for bit over 3 years. WTF wizards... wtf?
    Please Donate to RPGamer's Extra Life team!
    http://www.extra-life.org/participant/diceadmiral

Well everyone hated 4E and most just sticked to 3.5E, so maybe that was their reply. =p

Though I heard the hate on 4E is mainly because the story was changed.

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    When a bunch of people suggest that perhaps they shouldn't split all their standard material over a crap-ton of expensive hardcover books, forcing players to purchase more manuals than they ever had to before in order to get access to stuff that used to be in the main Player's Handbook and DM Guide, I wonder if WotC will listen? Nah, probably not.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Have towel will travel Member shoptroll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rya.Reisender View Post
    Though I heard the hate on 4E is mainly because the story was changed.
    D&D has a story?
    So long & thanks for all the fish!

Not everyone hated it. I run two 4e games and I like it just fine. I know lots of people who like 4e both in person and places like the wotc forums. Personally, I've never understood complaints about the story. As a DM I understand that I can shape the world as I please and don't have to strictly follow the fluff from the books. So if people didn't like the new back story they could very easily have taken the new mechanical stuff (which went a long ways to balancing and streamlining the game) and put it in a totally different backdrop. I also share this attitude on tiny rules minutia that don't work particularly well. Instead of complaining about it we can just fix it at the table into something that works. Now we don't want to do this with a lot of rules and don't really have to, but that's one of the strengths of D&D (or GM lead tabletop gaming in general) is that you have total control over the mechanics.

Quote Originally Posted by shoptroll View Post
    D&D has a story?
    It has a backstory, though as I addressed, it's totally mutable.

Quote Originally Posted by shoptroll View Post
    D&D has a story?
    It has an implied setting (I can only name one game where rules don't imply anything about the setting, but screw GURPS), which 4e actually embraced wholeheartedly. unlike 3e which pretended it could all things to everyone, which it failed at because it wasn't GURPS.

When a bunch of people suggest that perhaps they shouldn't split all their standard material over a crap-ton of expensive hardcover books, forcing players to purchase more manuals than they ever had to before in order to get access to stuff that used to be in the main Player's Handbook and DM Guide, I wonder if WotC will listen? Nah, probably not.
    you forgot about most of the cool content from the last year was only available to DDI subscribers, forcing players to essentially rent their character concept,

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    I didn't forget. I didn't know because I have dedicated less than .0000001% of my attention to D&D 4th Edition.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Staff Healer RPGamer Staff TwinBahamut's Avatar
    I liked 4E more than 3E, but even 4E has a large number of problems that make it too annoying for me half of the time. I'm all for a new edition. Here's hoping it's a good one.

I've been in like 4 - 5 4E style games and I enjoyed them greatly. This change in vision doesn't surprise me. But it's not Wizards that made this call, it's Hasbro.
    I am bad and that is good, I will never be good and that's not bad, there's no one I'd rather be than me - Wreck-it-Ralph

27 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a Proud if slightly annoyed Father :D

Dang, I am really falling behind in D&D rules, I haven't even had a chance to buy a single 4e book and now 5e is coming! Yeesh.
    http://www.shadowdawngenesis.com - follow progress on the upcoming RPG series Shadowdawn on Xbox Live Indie Games and PC (and wherever else we can take it)

I, nor did many of my players in both real life and those who posted here and at VB, didn't buy 4e because there was no way to try it via SRD (at the time), we didn't feel like throwing down $40 per book, we didn't like how every class had a spell-like list to keep track of, and we weren't about to ditch the huge stack of 3e books we had. 4e has a nice pace and the flow of combat feels more barbaric, and that's cool, but it took me years to learn 3e and I'm not about to toss that all aside when I'm perfectly happy with the rules I have now. It wasn't like 2e. That was a welcome change.

I've started moving into other systems. I'm not convinced it's worth it to stay with D&D, and I grew up playing it.

My D&D group tried out 4E for a few months and just didn't enjoy it, then we switched to Pathfinder and haven't looked back. Being able to continue to use all of our 3.x stuff is great, and the level to which Paizo interacts with their fans is amazing. Their supplements for Pathfinder have also been consistently higher quality than WotC's 3.x stuff ever was (and man, some of their splat books were real stinkers). I'm interested in 5E, but more for the drama around it than the game system...

Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflict Administrator sabin1001's Avatar
    Any greatest hits version of D&D needs the following or else it's DoA:

“Assassins are evil in alignment (perforce, as the killing of humans and other intelligent life forms for the purposes of profit is basically held to be the antithesis of weal).”

Anyway, my group loves trying new systems and are currently getting plenty of mileage out of Rubble and Ruin (built on Basic Roleplaying), Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (not the new version with all the stupid dice), and Pendragon (time for another feast!). We tried and despised D&D 4E and hate feats in 3 and 3.5, but if they can combine the fun of 1st and 2nd's rules with updated mechanics that don't suck, it'll be exciting.

Quote Originally Posted by Paws View Post
    I've started moving into other systems. I'm not convinced it's worth it to stay with D&D, and I grew up playing it.
    convince Chris to run the Great Pendragon Campaign for you. It's super sweet.

Pathfinder

Grew up playing 2nd ed. Switched to and mostly loved 3rd ed. Tried 4th ed for a couple of adventures....felt really hollow. Got a hold of the Pathfinder core rulebook a few months later and never looked back. Pathfinder rule system FOR LIFE.

I'll have to check out this Pathfinder since it's been mentioned a few times... but generally I had the same experience. I started with basic D&D when it split off from AD&D briefly though, then went on to 2nd edition AD&D and so on.
    http://www.shadowdawngenesis.com - follow progress on the upcoming RPG series Shadowdawn on Xbox Live Indie Games and PC (and wherever else we can take it)

Quote Originally Posted by Nightfox View Post
    Dang, I am really falling behind in D&D rules, I haven't even had a chance to buy a single 4e book and now 5e is coming! Yeesh.
    Don't feel bad- this has been the shortest run that any edition of D&D has ever had. We're not even going to hit five years before it is replaced. Most editions of D&D have lasted ten.

After the move to 4e, there has been a pretty large exodus away from D&D- Paizo's Pathfinder is actually outselling D&D now.

5e sounds like a bit of a cry of desperation, and their press releases are sounding a little penitent (not at all like the 4e announcement). They're trying to get their larger fan base back, and I really wonder what they'll produce.