Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Darksiders II - Preview

Quia ego sic dico RPGamer Staff Severin Mira's Avatar

Darksiders II - Preview

Some things are easy to undo, accidentally triggering the Apocalypse too early is not one of them. Taking a look at Darksiders II, we can probably assume Death's idea for the process involves a good deal of violence.

[ Preview ]
    "If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU), severin-US (US) | Skype: severinmk
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevirain Kristinger (Leviathan)

- Fancy Title - RPGamer Staff risingsun's Avatar
    I'm looking forward to Darksiders 2. I am currently playing through Darksiders 1 and I'm really enjoying it. 2 looks better in just about every way. I really like that they are adding a lot more RPG mechanics to the game to really flesh the world and Death out.

It kind of rubs me the wrong way that they've basically turned Death into Spawn. This is what I see when I picture Death, not this.

Meeeeh. The original was a terribly sloggish bore. I'll wait to see how this one goes.

www.powerlinemag.com

"I remember back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's especially hilarious given modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of an FF7 remake." - Masterchief

I just hope these new feature dont seem just tacked on for the hell of it. I thought the first one was excellent.
    I wouldn't even bother to Eat that coz your already dead

My Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/hoktoshinkenmaster
    My Livestream http://www.twitch.tv/hoktomaster

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Wheels's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ThroneofDravaris View Post
    This is what I see when I picture Death
    Well they have to come up with some kind of character model that can work in this kind of game. Nito doesn't exactly jump around or you know, have awesome combos.

You could trim him down and choose a design that makes more sense in the context of an action game without turning him into some buff dude. The Death they went with looks like he's getting ready to fight The Undertaker.

The Death they went with looks like he's getting ready to fight The Undertaker.
    Hah hah... seriously.

www.powerlinemag.com

"I remember back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's especially hilarious given modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of an FF7 remake." - Masterchief

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Wheels's Avatar
    You could trim him down and choose a design that makes more sense in the context of an action game without turning him into some buff dude. The Death they went with looks like he's getting ready to fight The Undertaker.
    Well, Wrestlemania is only a few months away....

I'm sorta interested in how they'll portray Pestilence or Famine. Although that Death does look Spawnish ... or Skeletor-ish
    I am bad and that is good, I will never be good and that's not bad, there's no one I'd rather be than me - Wreck-it-Ralph

27 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a Proud if slightly annoyed Father :D

i can post! thanx paws! Maudren's Avatar
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgHgpW4b5ew

I like this type of Death. Just a guy in a suit is good enough for me. I don't need the crow meets punisher meets darkness.

The game still looks cool though.
    sup?

Dread News Editor RPGamer Staff Fowl Sorcerous's Avatar
    alright guys. imagine the exact same game but with terry pratchett's death instead.

Honestly not at all surprised that Death looks the way he does because the first game (not so sure about 2nd)
    had Joe Madureira, a well-regarded comic book artist in american comic book circles, be the creative director. To be fair he's a bit influenced by manga, but his base american comic book style really shows through in the game aesthetics.

Basically buff superheroes.

I mean, not that I'm a fan of it, but I thought that was kind of one of the selling point of the series or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Fowl Sorcerous View Post
    alright guys. imagine the exact same game but with terry pratchett's death instead.
    I was thinking the same thing.

I think if I were playing death incarnate I'd rather be gaunt/skeletal like the grim reaper rather than buff, but it's okay, he is the pale rider...not the grim reaper (right?). If that's how they want to personify one of the four horsemen of the apocalypse then that's cool--at least he's pale in color (keep in mind I haven't played Darksiders, I just remember the four horsemen being characters or whatever).

Personally, I'd make Death gaunt/skeletal, War the big buff beefy guy (which he was in the first Darksiders, right?), Pestilence would be bloated and fat in a rotting-corpse sort of way, and Famine would have to be gaunt too I suppose--though making Famine look too much like an actual starving person might be in bad taste...
    "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
    Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Shakespeare, Hamlet Act I, Scene 5

"You need mad bank for lobster cash." - Sabin1001

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff 7thCircle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Doug View Post
    he is the pale rider...not the grim reaper (right?). If that's how they want to personify one of the four horsemen of the apocalypse then that's cool--at least he's pale in color

Pestilence would be bloated and fat in a rotting-corpse sort of way, and Famine would have to be gaunt too I suppose
    I was going to mention what it actually says in Revelations in this thread since it doesn't seem to be common knowledge, but didn't think it was needed since the commentary was more about aesthetic preferences than Biblical source material.

In short, you are correct in that Death, the Horseman of the Apocalypse, is not the same as the Grim Reaper, much less other personifications of Death just in the Bible, which includes many. His horse is pale; Death himself isn't physically described at all. He's just a dude on a sickly-looking horse. There is no Horseman associated with pestilence. The White Rider brings conquest. The Red Rider brings war. The Black Rider brings famine. The Pale Rider is Death and Hades follows him. On that note, the Black Rider wouldn't be gaunt. He brings famine to the world, but he's just a dude on a horse holding a set of scales.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    If they do a Darksiders for Famine/Pestilence, I hope they make him a giant locust guy. That'd be rad.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

I can't wait. The first one was extremely charming, and a lot of fun. This looks better in every single way!
    Check out my fledgling youtube channel. It's small now, but if I get more subscribers I will start doing more with it, so stay tuned!

http://www.youtube.com/user/HellDest...7?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimeMan View Post
    I'm sorta interested in how they'll portray Pestilence or Famine. Although that Death does look Spawnish ... or Skeletor-ish
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocelot View Post
    If they do a Darksiders for Famine/Pestilence, I hope they make him a giant locust guy. That'd be rad.
    For the purposes of Darksiders, the other Horsemen are "Strife" and "Fury" I believe. Fury is female, and by process of elimination she appears to the horsemen replacing "famine". Strife uses guns and rides a white horse I think, which would mean he replaces "Conquest" (according to the Darksiders wiki).

It does look better, that is for sure. Still, that's not saying much to me, since the original was astoundingly derivative its almost unreal. Hopefully this one carves at least a little of its own identity aside form the whole facelift thing.

www.powerlinemag.com