Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RPG Backtrack: Episode 64 - Way of the Dragon

Code: Kirin RPGamer Staff JuMeSyn's Avatar

RPG Backtrack: Episode 64 - Way of the Dragon

Within please find the story of what for a long time was Capcom's premiere RPG series. It involves a great many Ryus and Ninas, along with one gem that gets plentiful praise.
    Five of them, and Capcom's sat on the IP for almost a decade... what can it be?
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff jcservant's Avatar
    I talked about this on the show, but I want to put it in writing. You can now Tell Your Story!!

Perhaps you have heard about StoryCorps, a place where "Americans of all backgrounds and beliefs with the opportunity to record, share and preserve the stores of our lives." Many of the stories are saved via audio recording and stored in the Library of Congress for future generations to hear.

Here at RPGamer, we realize that our experiences with RPGs are much more exciting than any silly real life story. And, yet, we don't have a way to record OUR experiences for future generations to hear! Don't Worry!! RPGamer is here to save the day!

Now, you can record your thoughts on your favorite RPGs from the way back when right up through yesteryear! You too can save your most precious memories for your posterity and generations to come. Imagine the excitement of children who have a PS8 when they hear your voice recalling, "When I was your age, we had to use controllers to play RPGs!" Imagine their delight as you rant about the pains of unbalanced RPGs older than Methuselah!

So, how can you immortalize YOUR story? I'm glad you asked!

First, write down your script or some notes. You will want to have your thoughts organized for your big moment in history. Make sure you mention the game, system and year of release. Next, pull out a watch and go through it once while you time yourself. You want to aim for between 2 and 5 minutes. Next, call us up at RPGBacktrack at 801-810-5597. Tell us your story! If for some reason you totally mess up, just say so, hang up, call back and try again. Alternatively, those who are more giften in the ways of audio recording may create a fancy MP3 file and email it to jcservant@rpgamer.com (copy jcservant@cyberlightcomics.com too... I seem to have a few problems with my rpgamer mail sometimes)

As long as you follow these guidelines, YOUR story will be immortalized on an upcoming RPGBacktrack show. So, call us TODAY!

I didn't get a chance to metion it directly on the show, but we have not one by TWO recordings already, sent in by our listeners. The Legendary Zoltan gives HIS opinion on Star Ocean 4 (A cry against the criminal charges our staff levied against the game) and Strawberry Eggs talks about Mother! So, make sure to hang on after the main podcast. I start them pretty quick so they're pretty hard to miss.

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Wheels's Avatar
    Breath of Fire Dragon Quarter still available on the cheap new: http://www.amazon.com/Breath-Fire-Dr...8119869&sr=8-1

That's some great Linkage action, Wheels. I don't believe we said it enough on the cast, so it bears repeating, if you haven't given BoF: DQ a decent try, you need to run...don't walk...to your computer, order this wonderous game and enjoy. Immediately. That's an order

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jcservant View Post
    That's some great Linkage action, Wheels. I don't believe we said it enough on the cast, so it bears repeating, if you haven't given BoF: DQ a decent try, you need to run...don't walk...to your computer, order this wonderous game and enjoy. Immediately. That's an order
    I tried it and didn't like it. At all. So pbbt.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

We address those who 'tried it and didn't like it' on the cast. So make sure you listen Now, you might be an exception..there are always exceptions.... but hear us out before you state why you don't agree.

Oh, the reasons I don't like Dragon Quarter are totally based on my own gaming preferences.

dis-like Dragon Quarter? That doesn't compute in my brain. I only comprehend varying degrees of Dragon Quarter love.

1. I have a completely real albeit completely irrational hatred for time limits of any sort. A burning hatred of HATE.
    2. I dislike repeating content.

Twist my arm. So I ordered a copy of Dragon Quarter. I've been curious about it since it came out, and since it's not obscenely priced, I might as well try it out (eventually).
    I've played the beginning of 1, 2 & 3, but I never finished any of them, though I remember 2 being my favorite. All I remember from one is the life bars for bosses. 3 completely failed to engage me after several hours so I dropped it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocelot View Post
    1. I have a completely real albeit completely irrational hatred for time limits of any sort. A burning hatred of HATE.
    We address both of those concerns on the 'cast. It may not change your mind about it...but check it out. After listening, assuming you gave the game a good shake (got far enough to the game to talk more in detail), I'd like to know if you felt we were off base. A lot of gamers either passed this game up, or only tried it for a few hours for the reasons you list and more. We talk about what happens when you go further in, and how those issues, while somewhat valid, can also be part of the game's unique charm.

At the end of the day, of course, to each their own.

Quote Originally Posted by XR2 View Post
    Twist my arm. So I ordered a copy of Dragon Quarter. I've been curious about it since it came out, and since it's not obscenely priced, I might as well try it out (eventually).
    I've played the beginning of 1, 2 & 3, but I never finished any of them, though I remember 2 being my favorite. All I remember from one is the life bars for bosses. 3 completely failed to engage me after several hours so I dropped it.
    Glad to hear it! Be sure to post on the forums or send some thoughts to Q&A (wheels@rpgamer.com) once you do play it. Would be interested to see what you think!

Quote Originally Posted by Ocelot View Post
    Unless you're using the dragon powers very often, you shouldn't hit the "time limit" playing the game.

I understand that, I think that's why people were turned off by the idea of this game, but its such an essential part of the game that you don't actually end up repeating as much content as you'd think.

XR2, if you get to play through it, and you want to tell YOUR story of the experience, please feel free to call in and do so. We'll get that on the next show!

Becky, I'm not sure how much time you spent on the game...but you're more than welcome to present your counter-point review if you've put enough time into it to go into some detail. We welcome all viewpoints at the end of the day (as long as they support my own MWHAHAHAHA :P )

I'm finishing my last semester of school at the moment, so I won't get to play the game any time soon unfortunately. But I'm always happy to pontificate about the virtues and vices of the games I play.

Hey, no rush. I'm hoping that this new initiative will be around for some time. (It will be base on reception, of course). You are more than welcome to call about any other RPG you've completed. As long as it's a couple of years old or more, you can call and share your story with the world!

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    Unless you're using the dragon powers very often, you shouldn't hit the "time limit" playing the game.

I understand that, I think that's why people were turned off by the idea of this game, but its such an essential part of the game that you don't actually end up repeating as much content as you'd think.
    I have NEVER hit the time limit in Dragon Quarter, even when playing the game my first time through. Though I do understand the dislike of it, but that's because I've dealt with Prince of Persia (original). NOT ENOUGH TIME! D:<

Repeating happens at some areas, but at others it rarely occurs. Such as towards the end of the game, where you have a choice of I believe 4 routes through an area. Each one gives a different story and boss, and you can only make the choice once during that playthrough. So you'd be experiencing something new with each playthrough if you remember what paths you have taken.
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.

Staff Healer RPGamer Staff TwinBahamut's Avatar
    I'll reiterate that the time limit in the game is not a problem unless you've been liberal with your dragon power (which is really the bigger reason to restart). If you play through the whole game without using dragon power (not at all easy unless you're on a later playthrough), then you'll have a D-Counter of about 20%, I think. That's counting all the time it takes to defeat every enemy (since enemies don't respawn) and explore every area you can find in a single playthrough. There simply isn't enough content in the game for you to fill the D-Counter through time alone. As a comparison, you can easily burn 20% of the D-Counter in a single battle in which you use D-Dive.

I never got near the limit other than when I was purposely going overboard with the transformation. I got to the "final battle" with 99.6% and, thankfully, all you need to do is activate the move to win, not actually have enough charge time. I actually really liked how after beating it I could see a bunch of new scenes, still have my weapons and skills and my pot of experience. I love new game+ normally, but this is the kind I really love. I never game over'd or had to restart my first play through at all. I never understood what people were talking about with having to start over a bunch. Maybe my experience was just an oddity?

I swear there was some other kind of time limit besides the dragon power one. Either way, it was years ago and I just remember the game didn't appeal to me, and I have no interest in playing it again. Too many other things I actually want to play.

And hey that's fair. I mean.... Oh, wait...did you say you have NO interest in playing it again!? Heresy!!