Thread: RPGCast - Episode 211: "Hang on You're Saying it British"

Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflict Administrator sabin1001's Avatar

RPGCast - Episode 211: "Hang on You're Saying it British"

RPGCast - Episode 211: "Hang on You're Saying it British"

Find out how you can own all the Mass Effect 3 DLC in only three easy payments of $999.99! Act now and you can get a free PlayStation Vita that will shoot golf and make julienne fries! Operators are standing by, be sure to ask about our free combined shipping offer with imports of Pandora's Tower!

You can find the links to all our stories on delicious: http://delicious.com/rpgamer/211

RPGCast streams live, sometimes on Friday at 10 PM Eastern / 7 PM Pacific, usually on Saturday at Noon Eastern / 9 AM Pacific.

Leave your feedback in the following ways!
    Post in this thread.
    Email us at podcast@rpgamer.com
    Leave us a voicemail at (608) 729-4098
    Email us an mp3 or m4a voicemail at podcast@rpgamer.com

Download the show: "Hang on You're Saying it British"
    Subscribe to the feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/Rpgcast
    Subscribe in iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...t?id=264306390
    Subscribe your Zune: Zune Player Link

Collector's edition Mass Effect 3: $70
    Artbook with bonus DLC: $25
    Special edition 360 controller with bonus DLC: $50

Waiting for the GOTY edition which has all this crap included: Priceless.

There are some things money can't buy. For everything else, there's common sense.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups

The West did invent exploration. First they explored Greece, then Italy, then Europe and Britain etc. At the very least they are better at exploration than everyone else.

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ThroneofDravaris View Post
    The West did invent exploration. First they explored Greece, then Italy, then Europe and Britain etc. At the very least they are better at exploration than everyone else.
    The Native Americans who (probably) came here via land bridge from Asia say otherwise.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Familiar Face Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocelot View Post
    The Native Americans who (probably) came here via land bridge from Asia say otherwise.
    Is Africa considered West or East? Considering they were the ones that left the continent we originated from in the first place, I'd say they invented exploration.
    "Life will be a very great deal less weird without you!"

"Do you know I think that's the nicest thing anybody's ever said to me?

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry Eggs View Post
    Is Africa considered West or East? Considering they were the ones that left the continent we originated from in the first place, I'd say they invented exploration.
    Just call them central, and be done with it.
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    It has been brought to my attention that an "Ocelot" asked a question about Metacritic to the 'Cast. For the record, that was not me. Maybe it was an actual Metal Gear fan instead of just a fan of pretty kitties like I am.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Devious Dungeon Master RPGamer Staff jcservant's Avatar
    Hahahah...this post is priceless...but for what it's worth, I'm in total agreement with you.

I got Mass Effect 1 and 2 for about $15 / each. Yum!

Quote Originally Posted by Shaymin View Post
    Collector's edition Mass Effect 3: $70
    Artbook with bonus DLC: $25
    Special edition 360 controller with bonus DLC: $50

Waiting for the GOTY edition which has all this crap included: Priceless.

There are some things money can't buy. For everything else, there's common sense.

Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflict Administrator sabin1001's Avatar
    So this was interesting. Apparently either Metacritic has agents who listen to all forms of content on the internet to see if their site is mentioned anywhere, or the guy who founded Metacritic likes to listen to the RPG Cast (if that's the case, by the way, you rock!).

He was nice about our discussion and made sure we were aware that we could pull RPGamer's scores from Metacritic if we didn't like how they were being used. Sadly, I think the real issue we were complaining about isn't with Metacritic, but how publishers USE metacritic. Though we would like our scores to be translated better to their scale...

Devious Dungeon Master RPGamer Staff jcservant's Avatar
    Hmm....That should surprise me (even though it does). I've seen instances where people from companies have emailed me because I used their logo on my personal blog (even though their company name was no where in the name of the file, text, tags, etc) or mentioned them somewhere. Someone else was pulled in by his boss because he posted something about job over three months ago on a private, non listed site. Yeah, you get the feeling some of these big companies have people, (or search engines), that find this stuff.

I'm listening to it now. And, yes, FFVI has the best soundtrack. I ADORE listening to the ending theme which is a 20+ minute compilation of all the character's songs. It was very moving. Love it!

Oh, and I hear some Breath of Fire V: Dragon Quarter love here. Go DQV love! If you're even remotely interested in this classic, make sure you listen to RPGBacktrack 064!

I loved Legendary Zoltan's review of Dark Souls. Classic!

As far as Meta, I agree with most of the opinions stated. However, I do value the overall scores. Sure, they're far from objective or scientific. However, they do give me a quick, general indication of how fun a game can be. It's a tool...and just like any tool, the person has to know how to use it, how it works for him, and what its limitations are.

For me.... I generally look at the scores, adding an extra X pts for genres I like, and subtracting for those genres I do not. If the total score is 90%+, chances are I'm going to love it. If the total score is 70-90% - I need to read the text of the review. If it is in the 60s or below, I'm probably not going to like it (Generally, the bad in the game just weighs down the enjoyment I could get) Even when I've looked at scores after playing something, my experiences (and level of enjoyment) generally fall within these guidelines. So, for me, it's a quick barometer reading. In a world where I simply don't have time to read reviews on every game that comes out, it's a handy filter, at times.

Oh...and Chris...I don't know if you've noticed...But I've seen that the overall scores have been coming in lower on games across the board (with some clear exceptions)...making RPGamer's scores stick out less and less. Gamepot wrote an editorial on "The Defense of Games rated 6" or something like that...basically saying that games with scores in that range can still be good. I've noticed that they have been giving out a lot more 5-7.5's. While they still avoid the 1-5.0 range for all but the really bad games...I just see a lot more games hitting the lower numbers. I swear that it used to be that only the bad games got less than 7.5.
    Last edited by jcservant; 02-20-2012 at 04:54 PM.

Host of The Sectorcast Rosestorm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry Eggs View Post
    From an archaeological perspective, even though it makes no sense northern Africa is called the near east, and southern Africa is just called southern Africa.
    Deputy Editor of Gamersector.com
    Check out my podcast Sectorcast, http://gamersector.com/podcast/sectorcast
    A lie would be considered the truth if only more people believed it.

I'm a little surprised to hear even a mention of Hatoful Boyfriend. I read the freeware English version a while back. Most of it was a visual novel (just a bit of simulation gameplay), played for absurd comedy. Then I read an ending which segued right into drama... Also, the main character could probably carry a whole complex game by herself, since she says things like "MY HUNTER-GATHERER BLOOD BOILS!"

Quote Originally Posted by jcservant View Post
    Oh, and I hear some Dragon Quest V: Dragon Quarter love here. Go DQV love!
    Did you mean Breath of Fire 5: Dragon Quarter? Because the fifth Dragon Quest game (Hand of the Heavenly Bride) is quite different...

Just in case you didnt find it Manny, I believe the comic you were thinking of was Irredeemable.
    ive got candy

- Fancy Title - RPGamer Staff risingsun's Avatar
    Thanks. Did you read the series? What did you think of it?

Zoltan's review of Dark Souls basically made my lifetime.

I was meaning to say that I liked FFXII:Revenant Wings too.... But then I also haven't played FFXII either!

So reviewers want to be paid(/free copy) before they make a (negative) review of the rubbish IOS games. But then if they don't pay, wouldn't less people will be warned off your bad games?
    It doesn't sound good anyway.

Here's my depiction of events mentioned in this RPGCast (it took a while before I was happy with it). I call it Zoltan's ancestral lesson:

I ended up making it in Pullblox(/Pushmo), if you were wondering about the odd symbols & QR code.