Thread: Sakaguchi Directs English Trailer for The Last Story

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar

Sakaguchi Directs English Trailer for The Last Story

While certain mean old European RPGamer staff members are already enjoying The Last Story, the rest of us must be content with watching trailers like this one. Say "konnichi wa" to Sakaguchi and enjoy.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Quia ego sic dico RPGamer Staff Severin Mira's Avatar
    Buahahaha
    "If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU), severin-US (US) | Skype: severinmk
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevirain Kristinger (Leviathan)

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    ARPG with a cover system, sniping via crossbow, and sections that seem like they're more like from some action game than from a RPG? I think we've struck gold here.
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.

Oh, it looks freaking amazing...I'm glad I held out hope.

I vastly prefer turn-based battle systems to action systems. I'll still get this, of course. But I hope Sakaguchi returns to turn-based.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkRPGMaster View Post
    ...sections that seem like they're more like from some action game than from a RPG?
    Is that really a good thing? I'm not so sure.

It would be good if the game actually required twitch-skills to beat, but early reviews indicate that it does not.

Quote Originally Posted by ThroneofDravaris View Post
    It would be good if the game actually required twitch-skills to beat, but early reviews indicate that it does not.
    ...Umm... you do know that not every RPGamer has "twitch-skills," right? I for one wouldn't be able to handle an RPG that actually required technical shooting skills to beat; that's why I play RPGs and not shooters.

Man have you brought that argument to the wrong person.

But even if we were to assume that these games needed to accommodate for ham-handed JRPG fans, that's no excuse to not offer a challenge for people who do play action games. The Mass Effect games, for example, have 4 different difficulty levels, which has been the done thing in the West since like... Doom.

I'm not saying anything against difficulty-levels; I more mean that the default should be accommodating. You're right that most JRPGs don't take difficulty options into consideration, but I don't consider that a damning factor and more of a nit-pick.

It's not a nitpick when it's the difference between enjoying the game and not. I'm certainly not alone in getting relatively little out of games that don't pose a challenge. Even if I was though, my only real concern is how much I will enjoy the game, so...
    Last edited by Drav; 02-24-2012 at 07:17 PM.

i can post! thanx paws! Maudren's Avatar
    2:55

youuuu...shall not pass!
    sup?

But even if we were to assume that these games needed to accommodate for ham-handed JRPG fans...
    "These games", meaning JRPGs?

I don't see anything wrong with assuming that JRPGs should be, above all, accomodating to JRPG fans.

It's not a nitpick when it's the difference between enjoying the game and not. I'm certainly not alone in getting relatively little out of games that don't pose a challenge. Even if I was though, my only real concern is how much I will enjoy the game, so...
    It is possible to play challenging game without requiring twitch skills in order to do so. Perhaps an open mind is in order?
    "To be forgotten is worse than death."

Well, it's a shooter/action game, so I'm guessing it's not very strategic either. The reviews I read just mentioned it was "easy", so for whatever skillset this game requires it doesn't require much of it.

I was just saying I hope the next FF will return to the medieval European setting, but with how this looks I have no need to worry about FFXV's setting.
    Currently playing:
    Final Fantasy X HD Remaster
    Grand Theft Auto V

Quia ego sic dico RPGamer Staff Severin Mira's Avatar
    Well, it's a shooter/action game, so I'm guessing it's not very strategic either. The reviews I read just mentioned it was "easy", so for whatever skillset this game requires it doesn't require much of it.
    From what I've played so far, the shooting part doesn't really involve much actual shooting (doesn't deal much damage with the default arrows anyway - may be different with others) but is more for the strategic stuff such as telling allies to use the enviroment etc. That said it's not been especially challenging so far, although I'm still at very parts of the game so not fair to me to judge that part yet (and challenge isn't generally high on priorities for me personally).
    "If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU), severin-US (US) | Skype: severinmk
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevirain Kristinger (Leviathan)

....soooooooo.... don't play it if it does not look like it will appeal to you........... .... ........ ... ........ ... ..... .... ....... ......

www.powerlinemag.com

"I remember back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's especially hilarious given modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of an FF7 remake." - Masterchief

from what I hear it's part valkyria chronicles and part ARPG but I need to play it to be sure
    FFXI Character name: Shadowneko Server: Quetzalcoatl Main Jobs: lvl 76 THF, lvl 95 Summoner, lvl 39 Dragoon

My VAPS Entry,