Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pokémon Are Black and White a Second Time

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar

Pokémon Are Black and White a Second Time

Like the gentlemen at the Academy Awards, the Pokémon have decided that black and white are perennial favourites and are stepping out in Pokémon Black/White 2. We're sorry to anybody who entered the betting pool backing Pokémon Grey or Pokémon Rainbow.

[Story]

----Original thread was started by Shadowcat---
    Pokemon Black & White 2 for DS: So Backward It's Brilliant (1up)

So it's not grey this time but it is the same gen as Black and white...
    Last edited by maryadavies; 02-27-2012 at 01:46 PM. Reason: Fiixing a mess

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

I didn't learn anything! MasterChief's Avatar
    And it's not on the 3DS either. Interesting choice, given how the 3DS has recovered from the initial reaction.

"What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.

I'll still be getting it anyway. Would love love love a 3DS pokemon game with all the cool stuff from white and black plus the menu from heartgold/soulsilver with just as many cool new pokemon as they had in this, but I'll make do with B&W2 until then.

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff GaijinMonogatari's Avatar
    since it's a direct sequel to B/W, I'd assume that they are reusing a lot of the basic resources, and it was faster and more convenient to make it for the DS rather than upgrade everything to the 3DS. Save all that 3DS stuff for the next generation title.

Hmmm... this is the first direct sequel to a pair of Pokemon colors yes?

www.powerlinemag.com

"I remember back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's especially hilarious given modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of an FF7 remake." - Masterchief

Have towel will travel Member shoptroll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterChief View Post
    And it's not on the 3DS either. Interesting choice, given how the 3DS has recovered from the initial reaction.
    How's that exactly interesting? The DS is still selling well enough that there's no reason to really split the fan base, when the 3DS can play DS games.

Nintendo just pulled a move straight out of Atlus' playbook (Persona 4 was released in 2008 when the PS3 had already been on the market for over a year, or more directly comparable: Devil Survivor 2 on the DS vs. 3DS.).

Also, what Gaijin said.
    Last edited by shoptroll; 02-27-2012 at 12:09 PM.
    So long & thanks for all the fish!

Plus people can play this on both the DS and 3DS, so Nintendo wins both ways. Not like Pokemon's a graphical powerhouse or anyone actually cares about 3D.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff 7thCircle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shoptroll View Post
    How's that exactly interesting? The DS is still selling well enough that there's no reason to really split the fan base, when the 3DS can play DS games.
    It's surprising because Nintendo always puts its major first-party games on new hardware to make them system sellers and force gamers to early adopt if they want to play them. For any other company like your Atlus example, putting a game in an established series on an established system is the norm.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    I'm guessing they ran out of colors if they're adding the 2 next to it.
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.

Angel-Possessed Priestess Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    Well, this is certainly an unprecendented move. Since they seem to be direct sequels rather than enhanced re-treads, I may actually have to pick these up. I shall wait for more information, of course.

Although few people doubted it, the fact that Kyurem resembles Reshiram or Zekrom in its appropriate forms almost makes it certain that it was part of that single Dragon Pokemon the other Tao dragons are.

The game still being on the DS is a bit of a surprising move. Maybe Nintendo is wary of putting a main entry game on the 3DS for the time being...
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

I was always pretty sure the 5th gen "Third Game" would be on regular DS instead of 3DS. 6th Gen will be on the 3DS with all new assets... I expect that Pokedex 3D is part of the massive project of making modern 3D models for all the Pokes in anticipation of the next generation. They sure as heck couldn't produce a proper 3DS Pokemon game from the B&W assets in this time frame.

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Wheels's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry Eggs View Post
    Well, this is certainly an unprecendented move.
    The more I think about it, the more I'd say that no, it is not. While it certainly will probably be more expansive than your Yellows and Platinums, this feels like it's filling the same Niche between major revisions that those games did. If this is the new approach to the filler games, I'm all for it.

Angel-Possessed Priestess Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    ^*Shrugs* I suppose. I guess I just thought they'd keep the third version formula for the lifetime of the franchise. It's worked before. True, if it can make someone like me interested in a "third version," then perhaps making direct is a wise move.
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry Eggs View Post
    The game still being on the DS is a bit of a surprising move. Maybe Nintendo is wary of putting a main entry game on the 3DS for the time being...
    Nah, I did some research and this isn't the first time they did this.

Believe it or not! But Pokemon Gold & Silver were released at least a year after the Game Boy Color released and that was playable on both the GBC and classic Game Boy.

I didn't learn anything! MasterChief's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Macstorm View Post
    Not like Pokemon's a graphical powerhouse or anyone actually cares about 3D.
    This is true. The market continues to show staggering disinterest in 3D, at least outside of the cinema, and I can't really see what the analog pad would add to the game. Guess it's probably best to wait for next gen as far as they're concerned.

Anyway, now that they've made clear Grey isn't going to be the "third" game, I'm thinking it might be one of the games that brings Pokemon to the next gen.

Pokemon Grey.
    Pokemon Brown.
    *Laughs*

"What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.

Don't forget the "3D" can always be turned off. The biggest improvement the 3DS can bring to Pokemon is adding StreetPass and SpotPass functionality and the Pokewalker stuff is already baked into the 3DS hardware.

After that I'd say increased storage space since the data could be offloaded to a SD/SDHC card which could be a big draw for people who want a place to hoard their critters.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterChief View Post
    Pokemon Grey.
    Pokemon Brown.
    Well they say FPS games are all the rage these days
    Last edited by shoptroll; 02-27-2012 at 02:51 PM.

Pokemon is going to have to start consulting Debbie Travis for titles.

Pokemon Summer Spruce
    Pokemon Polar Dreams
    Pokemon Lavender Breeze

You silly Canadians. Crayola is where it's at.

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff GaijinMonogatari's Avatar
    I'm all in favor of lesser gemstone names.

Pokemon Amethyst & Amber, for example.
    Or Pokemon Chrome & Titanium (made-up home for all the critters I make up in class)

What about Pokémon Sizzlin' featuring a red/orange/yellow scheme and Pokémon Chill with a green/blue/purple scheme?

Also, the front page forum link for this article is broken.