Thread: Mass Effect 3 - From Ashes DLC Impression

Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff Nyx's Avatar

Mass Effect 3 - From Ashes DLC Impression

Mass Effect 3 has only been out for two days and already it's had its first DLC release. Is From Ashes worth the price of entry, or is it merely dust in the wind?

DLC Impression

Thanks for this impression. 20 minutes of content? That's all I need to hear. I will not be buying this. Should have been offered for free to people buying the game new.

Just beat this DLC. Was awesome. Crazy tough on the harder difficulty! Totally unnecessary for the main game.

www.powerlinemag.com

"I remember back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's especially hilarious given modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of an FF7 remake." - Masterchief

Should have been in the game itself. Selling it separately is BS.
    I'm He Who Lurks, and I'm AWESOME!

Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff Nyx's Avatar
    Like I said in the impression, there's a lot of good stuff here in the DLC, but the amount of content you get for the price you pay seems really absurd to me. The fact that I went through it in roughly twenty minutes and did EVERYTHING (got all the chevios, all two!) just made me feel like I wasted $10 bucks. On the other hand, the story part is excellent and Javik has some nice touches to him that make him pretty interesting. This really should have been a part of the main game and if this is what the DLC is shaping up to be like for the rest of the year, I'm not sure if I'll be diving in or not further.

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    So apparently I just found out that Javik was already on the disc, but the remainder of his DLC wasn't. How much you wanna bet this could become a PR nightmare for Bioware?
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.

It should have been in. My guess is that it was EA's idea to pull it out.
    What I have seen and done to achieve my position defies belief. What I am capable of and will be party to in order to retain it would chill your soul.

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Wheels's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkRPGMaster View Post
    So apparently I just found out that Javik was already on the disc, but the remainder of his DLC wasn't. How much you wanna bet this could become a PR nightmare for Bioware?
    How so? This is pretty standard nowadays sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    How so? This is pretty standard nowadays sadly.
    Bioware said at one point that Javik was taken off the disc before the game went into production mode. This proves they lied, which while may not mean anything in the normal world (people lie), it still feels like a breach of trust to alot of gamers.

Personally, I feel that since Javik was on the disc, the unlocker for him should have been free, with him appearing at another place in the game to recruit at. Doesn't help that it makes you think of a company making a TV, but making the remote sold seperately. It makes no sense to do that, and can only result in a loss of customers.

But, this is just my opinion, and we won't actually see anything on how bad a backlash (if any) they get from this until probably a year or two later.
    User Database Check

Quote Originally Posted by DarkRPGMaster View Post
    Bioware said at one point that Javik was taken off the disc before the game went into production mode. This proves they lied, which while may not mean anything in the normal world (people lie), it still feels like a breach of trust to alot of gamers.

Personally, I feel that since Javik was on the disc, the unlocker for him should have been free, with him appearing at another place in the game to recruit at. Doesn't help that it makes you think of a company making a TV, but making the remote sold seperately. It makes no sense to do that, and can only result in a loss of customers.

But, this is just my opinion, and we won't actually see anything on how bad a backlash (if any) they get from this until probably a year or two later.
    Well for starters that's a bad analogy. The remote is vital to the TV, this character is not vital to the game (and I've found him somewhat uninteresting). Secondly, do you even know what bits of him are on the disc? Anyway, they already did something similar with Shale in Dragon Age Origins, so I don't see what the big deal is.

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    It would have been more customer-friendly to make From Ashes a buy-new or pre-order incentive like Shale was, instead of a CE exclusive. Honestly, BioWare and EA have every right to charge $10 for this, but nobody should be surprised when customers (who are starting to get mightily tired of getting nickled and dimed for small bits of game content) complain. Especially when those nickles and dimes are turning into ten to twenty dollar bills.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Quote Originally Posted by Ocelot View Post
    It would have been more customer-friendly to make From Ashes a buy-new or pre-order incentive like Shale was, instead of a CE exclusive. Honestly, BioWare and EA have every right to charge $10 for this, but nobody should be surprised when customers (who are starting to get mightily tired of getting nickled and dimed for small bits of game content) complain. Especially when those nickles and dimes are turning into ten to twenty dollar bills.
    That's right, I forgot Shale was included with every new copy, not just the CE.

Still, this isn't the first or last instance of this kind of nonsense, so I really don't see how its going to create a backlash.
    Last edited by Wheels; 03-12-2012 at 11:43 AM.

Well for starters that's a bad analogy. The remote is vital to the TV, this character is not vital to the game (and I've found him somewhat uninteresting). Secondly, do you even know what bits of him are on the disc? Anyway, they already did something similar with Shale in Dragon Age Origins, so I don't see what the big deal is.
    The parts of him on the disc are him in all the places you can have him in the squad, and I believe his dialogue also. He's not on the Normandy though, so I can see him being incomplete or them running out of room at that point.
    User Database Check

That's right, I forgot Shale was included with every new copy, not just the CE.
    And Sebastian in Dragon Age II was only in the pre-order edition.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

FYI if you have the PC version then you can put the DLC character in your game by changing 2 lines of code. Don't think it includes the mission where you get him though.

Quote Originally Posted by ThroneofDravaris View Post
    FYI if you have the PC version then you can put the DLC character in your game by changing 2 lines of code. Don't think it includes the mission where you get him though.
    It does not.
    User Database Check

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    Which makes it quite plausible that the character was originally cut from the game, but his assets were added to the code when it was decided to put him in the DLC schedule because hey, less to download for the DLC. I'm perfectly happy to just say that I don't like the way BioWare handles DLC without feeling the need to accuse them of lying and performing cover-ups about it.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance