Thread: Feature - Winter Wonderlands

News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff Severin Mira's Avatar

Feature - Winter Wonderlands

As spring draws in we can begin to take a look back at how RPGs use the winter to create some stunning locations and moments. Join us in examining some memorable Winter Wonderlands and let us know some of your particular favourites.
    "My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving universes."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU), severin-US (US) | NNID: severinmira | Skype: severinmk
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevirain Kristinger (Leviathan)

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff GaijinMonogatari's Avatar
    Wow, didn't think I'd be seeing this again

I feel like I should add an addendum to mine...

Oh, good. I didn't have to mention Narshe.

And mad props to Skyrim's snowy environments. This isn't about realism, so high quality graphics capturing the feel of the hardened Nord spirit by accurately depicting the harshness of their environment doesn't hold up to sheer artistic vision, but still...it's very good. Kind of made me wish I could see the environments on a PC...for a second.

Hmmm, there's a Secret of Mana locale that should have been included...I just can't remember its name.

And no 12,000 BC reference for CT, for shame.

I DID mention (in one short paragraph) Santa's appearance in SoM's Ice Country here. Most of the intro-logue for that column was originally written for this feature, but I decided to save it for JP and do KoL instead.

Little Surprised Noveria from Mass Effect isn't on this list.
    I am bad and that is good, I will never be good and that's not bad, there's no one I'd rather be than me - Wreck-it-Ralph

27 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a Proud if slightly annoyed Father :D

News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff Severin Mira's Avatar
    It's by no means intended to be anything resembling 'top 5' or anything like that, just a collection of ones that were memorable for each of the contributors. Although you guys/gals want to discuss what would be in a top X list feel free
    "My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving universes."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU), severin-US (US) | NNID: severinmira | Skype: severinmk
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevirain Kristinger (Leviathan)

Angel-Possessed Priestess Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    I've been so busy with school that I had no idea this would be going up soon. I should have written something on Flanoir or Opalus as well.
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry Eggs View Post
    I've been so busy with school that I had no idea this would be going up soon. I should have written something on Flanoir or Opalus as well.
    I remember Flanoir! That place was awesome. I remember the scenes there better than a lot of things from that game. Great spot.
    Please Donate to RPGamer's Extra Life team!
    http://www.extra-life.org/participant/diceadmiral

I don't know how you can have a thread like this without screen caps. I came here to see pictures people! Don't disappoint.
    Vanillaware’s 2D is, once again, shaming their competitor’s 3D. It’s like, what are you even doing with your extra D, jerks? Maybe we should hold that extra D in reserve for you, like a trust, until you are ready. - Tycho, Penny Arcade

Quote Originally Posted by TG Barighm View Post
    And mad props to Skyrim's snowy environments. This isn't about realism, so high quality graphics capturing the feel of the hardened Nord spirit by accurately depicting the harshness of their environment doesn't hold up to sheer artistic vision, but still...it's very good. Kind of made me wish I could see the environments on a PC...for a second.
    I was going to say, the climb up to High Hrothgar was something else, especially if you happened to get caught in a snowstorm. Then emerging onto the peak just below the temple entrance, and standing on a rocky outcropping to see the entire world spread beneath you... well, it was certainly one of the most memorable experiences *I've* had playing a game.

Quote Originally Posted by Savorien View Post
    I don't know how you can have a thread like this without screen caps. I came here to see pictures people! Don't disappoint.
    Well you have my crappy painting to look at! Don't be disapointed!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Savorien View Post
    I'd have saved a few from KoL, but it would have looked like this:

Adv2k11_4chickachicka.gif

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    There are screens in most of the actual stories. He was talking about the thread.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

I loved the mountains in Xenoblade with the glowing crystals at night