Thread: Whither The Witcher II? Watch!

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar

Whither The Witcher II? Watch!

Want to know what has been added to the Enhanced Edition of The Witcher 2? More wine, women, and war, we presume, but the trailer will tell all.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Might just be me but the video isnt loading up for me and is telling me i need a flash player installed. I went to adobe to make sure mine was up to date, which it is, to make sure that wasnt the issue.

Huh. It's just a standard embedded Youtube video. Here's the direct link to it on Youtube if that helps.

I love the Witcher series, but in retrospect I can't help but to feel that the second part kind of fell short compared to the first, in all departments (except graphics, I guess?). It was much shorter (albeit still too long to motivate several playthroughs, which seemed like the idea), was poorly optimized and the story took a surprisingly small step considering its development time.

Won't be getting this as I've already played it a lot on the PC, still good to see that the xbox version gets a few bonuses though.
    Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate.

Quote Originally Posted by Solon View Post
    I love the Witcher series, but in retrospect I can't help but to feel that the second part kind of fell short compared to the first, in all departments (except graphics, I guess?). It was much shorter (albeit still too long to motivate several playthroughs, which seemed like the idea), was poorly optimized and the story took a surprisingly small step considering its development time.
    I much preferred the 2nd one to the 1st, with the story being the biggest improvement IMO. I actually felt emotionally connected to the characters and what was happening in the story, which is a rare thing for me in games these days. It's the best story I've played through in years. (The last one to even come close was The World Ends With You, but The Witcher 2 is better.) I'm surprised you say it was poorly optimized, because popular opinion seems to indicate that it was actually pretty well optimized (and I had no problems running it smoothly). The one minor area that felt like a step back was the mini-games (which were pretty inconsequential anyway).

I'll definitely be giving it another playthrough when the enhanced edition becomes available for download.
    Last edited by Azilis; 03-21-2012 at 01:36 PM.

I agree, I thought The Witcher 2 was worlds better than the first game. There were some combat balance issues, but I hear even those have been largely fixed by patches. I hope to do an Enhanced Edition replay through the human side (did elves on Playthrough 1) sometime this summer, enjoy all the changes, and attempt to make out with Ves. <3

The main thing I missed from the original Witcher in comparison to The Witcher 2 was all the choices that had unexpected consequences several hours down the track. That was kind of The Witchers thing, and yet pretty much all the choices in TW2 besides The Big One have obvious, immediate consequences.

You also couldn't get information out of people by getting them drunk.