Thread: Dragon's Dogma Breathes Out Trailers

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar

Dragon's Dogma Breathes Out Trailers

Public relations dragons do not breathe fire, oh, no. They spew out reams of in-game footage and press releases full of complementary adjectives.

[Roar!]

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

so you can rent out your companions. The game seems interesting, but I will probably wait for reviews.

Capcom's Dragon's Dogma producer Hideaki Itsuno said that they aim to sell 10 million units of the game worldwide, he also stated the forecasted sales in Japan is one million, and it will be a challenge to make it successful worldwide.
    Is it just me, or does this seem a bit too ambitious? The game looks nice and all, but so far the main attraction for me is still the RE6 demo, heh.
    Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate.

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    It's not just you. 10 million is, like, Call of Duty numbers. Nobody sells 10 million copies of a brand new IP. Not shooters, not RPGs, not sports games, not even Portal (OK, Portal 1 may have sold 10 million by now, but that includes times when it has been free or nearly so on Steam). I mean, Skyrim shipped (not sold) 10 million units, but Skyrim is the fifth entry in one of the most famous RPG series in history.

I'd compare this to Reckoning, a new IP that sold 330,000 boxed copies in North America during its first month, according to NPD. Reckoning had a huge PR campaign and was far better-known to gamers before its launch than Dragon's Dogma is shaping up to be. How in heck Capcom intends to get those sales is completely beyond me.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

10 million sold? Uh, first it would need to be a seriously awesome game, then it would need to review well, and be at a decent price point to attract attention, then marketed right and hit a sweet spot in the year where there's little competition for it's niche...then it would need to sell another 9 million copies. :/

I love Reckoning and I'm willing to give this a shot should it prove to be fun, but it hasn't sold me on it yet.

seriously awesome game ...maybe?
    review well Sup moneyhats
    decent price point Uh oh...
    marketed right *crash* *fail horn*
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Wheels's Avatar
    10 million sold? Clearly Capcom has gone mad from Monster Hunter monies

Dread News Editor RPGamer Staff Fowl Sorcerous's Avatar
    best I can tell monster hunter tri (the last console entry for the franchise) has sold just over a million copies, so unless the entire population of la-la land (where Itsuno must live) buys 2 copies, capcom might be in for some disappointment.

i can post! thanx paws! Maudren's Avatar
    They want 10 million copies sold?

Well, I want to look like Sephiroth and have a threesome with Emilia Clarke and an 18 year old Chloe Moretz.

On a side note, the game does look pretty awesome.
    sup?

I was going to pick it up first, but let's be realistic here - considering it's only two weeks after D3 is released, I wouldn't touch it for months. Will probably just end borrowing the RE6 demo disc from a friend instead, and wait for the full game.

And yeah, it's pretty naive to think they're going to sell 10 million copies of a game that has no establishment (as a series or a name) whatsoever.
    Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate.

Are they thinking that the whole "Western" vibe will be enough to sell one to 10 million people the world over? That's just setting yourself up for failure, right there. I guess we'll see.

GM,DM,PC,NPC,1P,2P & TG TG Barighm's Avatar
    If the game turns out to be what I'm hoping it will be, then yeah, it could sell well, but 10 million? I don't think a FF game has sold that well. VG Chartz doesn't even give any FF game 10 million sales.
    Last edited by TG Barighm; 03-22-2012 at 10:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TG Barighm View Post
    If the game turns out to be what I'm hoping it will be, then yeah, it could sell well, but 10 million? I don't think a FF game has sold that well. VG Chartz doesn't even give any FF game 10 million sales and I find their numbers a little high.
    Dr. Evil must be their marketing director...

i can post! thanx paws! Maudren's Avatar
    releasing a discounted version on steam a month or two after release couldn't hurt.

just sayin...