Thread: XSEED Unchains Some Blades

Staff Healer RPGamer Staff TwinBahamut's Avatar

XSEED Unchains Some Blades

In a moment of great wisdom that a certain other company needs to emulate more often, XSEED has decided to rename UnchainBlades ReXX, giving it the much simpler name of Unchained Blades for its newly announced North American release. RPGamers everywhere thank them.
    Last edited by TwinBahamut; 03-28-2012 at 12:50 PM.

Oh! So we are getting the PSP version as well, thats good.
    Give me Underboob, or give me death!

"As a gaming enthusiast, people who carry a pro-hacker flag for selfish self-entitled reasons and willfully ignore the damage that rampant piracy does to developers as well as hardware producers don't deserve to enjoy the games and systems that these companies have poured their souls into to produce."

"A late game is only late until it ships. A bad game is bad until the end of time." ~ David Jaffe

Banned Banned
    being dd only will kill this

Well aren't you a debbie downer.

i'll get it, probably on the 3DS. SD cards are cheap and big, so I have no problems with getting digital games for it!

A Familiar Teacher Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    This game did look intriguing. I may very well be picking this up once it does go on sale.
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

No problems here with a download only game. If thats what it takes to sustain their business and help them turn a profit, I am all for it.

I am, however, not a huge fan of the first person style this game has. I didn't like it when I was a kid and I don't like it now! That said, I'll probably pick it up to support this excellent company and give it a whirl.

Banned Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by freykin View Post
    Well aren't you a debbie downer.

I am a debbie realist

If the dub is THAT bad, PLEASE tell me XSEED is offering the original Japanese track too. That was awful! I've never heard ANYTHING that bad before! And while I've still yet to assault my ears with Arc Rise Fantasia, I think even THAT is much worse than that was.

I honestly don't understand the criticisms people have with the 5 or so lines featured in this trailer. They sound like a better-than-average modern anime dub to me, which fits nicely with the general style and tone of the game. The lines are delivered competently and with adequate emotion, and the voices fit the characters well.

We weren't able to include Japanese voices due to licensing issues, but I sincerely hope that even if you find the acting in this trailer to be subpar, you don't judge the whole game based on these 5 or so out-of-context lines (out of ~2300). It's a very good dub overall, featuring some fantastic talent who really got into their roles.

-Tom

Banned Banned
    I usually keep the sound off anyway and if i can I re engineer the original sound track back in a game

HAHAHA

The guy doing teh Dragon dude is the same one who did Yuri Lowell (90% sure) ..... sorry I have a really good ear for voices. So thats tells me it's the same Studio as Tales of Vesperia.
    I am bad and that is good, I will never be good and that's not bad, there's no one I'd rather be than me - Wreck-it-Ralph

27 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a Proud if slightly annoyed Father :D

A Familiar Teacher Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    ^ That would be Troy Baker.

The lines were out of context, so I'll save my final judgment on the acting quality until I hear more of the game. If Troy's there, I imagine most of the Bang Zoom Entertainment/Los Angeles anime VA are in this game as well (I think I heard Michelle Ruff in there).
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrdwad View Post
    I honestly don't understand the criticisms people have with the 5 or so lines featured in this trailer. They sound like a better-than-average modern anime dub to me, which fits nicely with the general style and tone of the game. The lines are delivered competently and with adequate emotion, and the voices fit the characters well.

We weren't able to include Japanese voices due to licensing issues, but I sincerely hope that even if you find the acting in this trailer to be subpar, you don't judge the whole game based on these 5 or so out-of-context lines (out of ~2300). It's a very good dub overall, featuring some fantastic talent who really got into their roles.

-Tom
    I'm not going to let that make that my final decision about the game, but I sure hope it's a good game. From the pics I saw though, it was really hard to see just what all was actually happening though. Sorry if I overreacted a little but his voice DID get on my nerves a little. What WAS going on in that video anyway? I couldn't really understand anything in it. Their teasers get too confusing sometimes. They should just show the opening trailer and be done with it, because showing strange scenes like that with characters yelling stuff can turn people away more than bring them in.

Hmmm... Now that I heard his voice again... yeah, it really wasn't that bad.
    Last edited by reionpremente; 03-30-2012 at 01:19 PM.

I didn't learn anything! MasterChief's Avatar
    First off...

Quote Originally Posted by VampiricDragon View Post
    being dd only will kill this
    I'd go so far as to say that dd only exhibits a lack of faith in the title.

Secondly... 3DS and PSP but no Vita? I mean, I guess being DD makes it possible to be Vita-compatible, but still, there's so much more you can do with the Vita, even in 2D *hugs BlazBlue Continuum Shift Extend*

"What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.

A little off-topic but I still wonder why they released Continuum Shift Extend AFTER everyone was FORCED to buy EVERYTHING for Continuum Shift already. Nobody said Extend was coming YEARS after Continuum Shift had been sitting in EVERYONE'S consoles. Now THAT was downright evil Aksys. A little more advanced warning WOULD'VE been nice.

Back on topic, I'd sure like to see some in game movies next. I hope that's next up on the agenda.
    Last edited by reionpremente; 03-30-2012 at 09:38 PM.

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterChief View Post
    First off...

I'd go so far as to say that dd only exhibits a lack of faith in the title.

Secondly... 3DS and PSP but no Vita? I mean, I guess being DD makes it possible to be Vita-compatible, but still, there's so much more you can do with the Vita, even in 2D *hugs BlazBlue Continuum Shift Extend*
    Well, the game came out last June in Japan, so there's a good reason why it's not Vita-specific. Remember, XSEED is a localizer, not a developer.

I don't really get all the railing against digital distribution. DD has almost singlehandedly saved PC gaming... bringing it back from the brink and transforming the PC gaming landscape into one of the most thriving and diverse gaming platforms in the world. It has the potential to do the same for localizations of niche Japanese games. Physical releases are expensive and increasingly ineffective for niche titles, with stores stocking enough for pre-orders and maybe one more copy if you're lucky. DD gives us all the chance to enjoy these titles, even if we can't afford them right when they come out. That's awesome!
    Last edited by Ocelot; 03-31-2012 at 05:30 AM.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

I'm not going to let that make that my final decision about the game, but I sure hope it's a good game. From the pics I saw though, it was really hard to see just what all was actually happening though. Sorry if I overreacted a little but his voice DID get on my nerves a little. What WAS going on in that video anyway?
    Fair question indeed! Here's a copy/paste of an answer to a similar question I was asked on our own forums. Hopefully this'll help give you a better idea of what to expect from this game.

I think this game will appeal to fans of Shin Megami Tensei quite a bit. The unchain system is quite similar to the demon negotiation from the early Persona titles, and the combat itself is quite deep, with a sphere grid-like system for ability enhancement.

For me, the cool part of combat is the ability to get attacked by enemies from multiple sides at once. Take a look at this screenshot:

http://www.rpgamer.com/games/other/m...inblades53.jpg

Note the three little boxes with 5 pips each at the top of the screen. Each of those pips represents an enemy. In this battle, your party is literally up against 15 enemies at once -- 5 attacking from the front, 5 from the left and 5 from the right. During battle, your party will constantly be turning to face different groups of enemies, and you're able to target anyone from any of these groups -- but when you're using, say, a multi-attack spell, it'll only affect enemies in one direction.

It's pretty robust and pretty intense, and really gives the game a hardcore, in-your-face sort of feel, slightly belied by the anime art.

The dungeons are also MASSIVE -- we claim this is a 60+ hour game in our press release, but honestly, there's a good chance it'll take over 80 hours for the average player to get through it. And while there is a pretty intricate storyline, the vast majority of that time is spent on dungeon exploration and battle.

Regarding the story, here's the premise in a nutshell:

This is a world where everyone is born looking like a human, but once they reach adulthood, they "fledge" into their individual animal/creature forms. Presiding over this world is a goddess named Clunea, who will grant one wish (any wish!) to anyone who overcomes a trial and appears before her to make it. The catch is, each person may only ever have one wish granted during his/her lifetime -- so it's gotta count!

The story opens with a dragon named Fang and his dragon lord buddies storming Clunea's temple. They start killing angels left and right (!), eventually confronting Clunea directly. Fang DEMANDS Clunea give him the name of the strongest person in the world (so he can go kill that person and take the title for himself!)... and Clunea is more than willing to oblige, as long as Fang accepts that this will be his one wish.

But of course, Fang does NOT accept this. He doesn't want to use his wish on something so frivolous! He just figured he'd force his way into Clunea's chambers and pry the information out of her -- I mean, she is the goddess who governs the whole world, after all, so she's gotta know the answer, right?

Clunea is understandably upset and uses her godly powers to cast Fang back down to earth, reversing his fledging and reverting him back to his weak "prepubescent" human state in an effort to humble him.

This, however, just pisses Fang off. He swears revenge, and begins the long process of regaining his strength, re-fledging into a dragon and working his way back up to Clunea's temple in the heavens for a rematch. Along the way, he picks up several like-minded individuals who all are dissatisfied with their lives in some fashion and either want to meet with Clunea and use their one wish, or join Fang in challenging Clunea's authority.

Thus, the game is kind of like the anime Bastard!! + Shin Megami Tensei + The Wizard of Oz, all mixed in a blender with Wizardry and FFX.

-Tom

where's someone with one of them Fry "shut up and take my money" jpegs?

I think was their with the comment of Bastard (although the Manga infinately more intriguing then the anime)

I'd also say a bit of Last Remnant with multiple targetable groups of enemies attacking at once.
    Last edited by TheAnimeMan; 04-01-2012 at 01:23 AM.
    I am bad and that is good, I will never be good and that's not bad, there's no one I'd rather be than me - Wreck-it-Ralph

27 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a Proud if slightly annoyed Father :D