Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mass Effect 3 Ending Clarified for Free

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar

Mass Effect 3 Ending Clarified for Free

Electronic Arts fails to live up to its expected evilness quota with this free Extended Cut DLC for Mass Effect 3. Do not panic: we suspect this will not be a major paradigm shift for the company.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    I always knew that even EA knew when to cut their loses and give into fan demand. As I said in another thread, it would be a good business move to pull this off, to save the long-term profits. Now here's the real question...about how long do you think it'll take EA to make another mistake on the level of ME3's ending?
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.

ME3's ending was all BioWare, man. Honestly, the only BioWare stuff I'd blame EA directly for are the stupid armour DLC packs for Dragon Age 2 and possibly the too-short development time for DA2 as well.
    Last edited by Ocelot; 04-05-2012 at 11:27 AM.

Unfortunately for me, I see Bioware as a part of EA at this point (since EA owns them), so I'm starting to call errors from people in Bioware on EA. Sorta like how I see Career Soft as nothing more than Atlus at this point. They've had them long enough to where I don't see the difference in calling them one name or another.
    User Database Check

Eh, I still think BioWare is relatively autonomous. If it wasn't, we'd see a lot more EA crap jammed into Bio's games. Also, BioWare (Edmonton, at least, I don't know about the Baby Bios) is still a pretty good place to work, unlike EA Central.

You can't listen to Casey Hudson talk now without hearing how EA has influenced his management style. He also seems to have taken a few cues from Peter Molyneux when it comes to hyping product.

The new ending is nice, but Ocelot is right: this does not signify a change in EA's control over IPs.

I didn't learn anything! MasterChief's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocelot View Post
    Electronic Arts fails to live up to its expected evilness quota with this free Extended Cut DLC for Mass Effect 3. Do not panic: we suspect this will not be a major paradigm shift for the company.
    This is the thing I don't get with people's hatred of EA. The Online Pass, while a poor PR move, usually doesn't lock anything of substance, usually a bonus piece of nonsense created for the purpose of the pass. At least when the game doesn't have multiplayer, which is whatevs because you kinda need to be online to play online multiplayer anyway. *Laughs*

They've not done anything as despicable as WB holding Catwoman back.

"What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.

MC, do you work for EA, or something? I don't think I have ever seen anyone so rigorously defend a corporate interest that was not offering them a sizable paycheck to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by King Jowy XXII View Post
    MC, do you work for EA, or something? I don't think I have ever seen anyone so rigorously defend a corporate interest that was not offering them a sizable paycheck to do so.
    I wish. >.>; Someone gimmie moneeeeeeeeeeeeey....

By my estimate, they owe you big.

Prod with the Prod The Doomhammer's Avatar
    But what could this possibly mean for the future of ?

All I know is that I never want to read the words 'Artistic integrity' or 'entitled' ever again.

But...but Doomhammer...everyone is entitled to artistic integrity!

...especially when you strip the words of any real meaning and use them as a vehicle to convey a generic sense of contempt.

Quote Originally Posted by The Doomhammer View Post
    But what could this possibly mean for the future of ?
    Love that pic. And I agree with you, Artistic Integrity is a hilarious concept, at least at BioWare. Now we know all we gotta do is whine hard enough and we'll get what we want.

Now here's the real question...about how long do you think it'll take EA to make another mistake on the level of ME3's ending?
    How long until Dragon Age 3 comes out?

Unfortunately for me, I see Bioware as a part of EA at this point (since EA owns them), so I'm starting to call errors from people in Bioware on EA
    There have been a few staff purges at Bioware in the last two years. New owners ALWAYS bring in their own people. So, yeah, I agree. Not much Bioware left at Bioware. Not like this hasn't happened a million times before.
    Last edited by TG Barighm; 04-05-2012 at 12:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterChief View Post
    Artistic Integrity is a hilarious concept, at least at BioWare.
    The ending would have to be artistic before it could actually have any integrity. They have just as much as they did before this whole mess started. Apologists aside, I'll never understand the defense they have received from people who actually paid real money for the game.

Anyway, if you'll excuse me, my new mashing club just arrived in the mail, and there's this rotting horse carcass that requires it's undivided attention...

Words really can't describe how much this choice disappoints me. Completely, utterly, incomprehensibly ridiculous.

www.powerlinemag.com

"I remember back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's especially hilarious given modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of an FF7 remake." - Masterchief

Quote Originally Posted by Confessor Rahl View Post
    Words really can't describe how much this choice disappoints me. Completely, utterly, incomprehensibly ridiculous.
    Why? The fact that they're ADDING ONTO the ending, thereby not changing it and keeping their artistic integrity intact?
    User Database Check

Quote Originally Posted by DarkRPGMaster View Post
    Why? The fact that they're ADDING ONTO the ending, thereby not changing it and keeping their artistic integrity intact?
    Artistic integrity's a misnomer.

In fact, there's no artistic integrity to protect. This is a product. Meant for public consumption. When the public has a problem with it. The producers of the product have a problem. And when that problem interferes with the bottom line, it results in a big problem. A problem that's best solved by making the paying customers happy they gave you their money instead of insulting them by tossing a paltry 'extension' of that turd of an ending that does nothing to assuage the reasons why people have a problem with the ending in the first place!

Quote Originally Posted by Iliya Moroumetz View Post
    instead of insulting them by tossing a paltry 'extension' of that turd of an ending that does nothing to assuage the reasons why people have a problem with the ending in the first place!
    First, in all the complaining about the ending, there has yet to be a unified voice as to why the ending was hated. Some hated the choices, some hated the content, some hated the "epilogue" and others hated a combination of all of those. They are fixing the problem I had with the ending, and I'm happy for it.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

Quote Originally Posted by Macstorm View Post
    First, in all the complaining about the ending, there has yet to be a unified voice as to why the ending was hated. Some hated the choices, some hated the content, some hated the "epilogue" and others hated a combination of all of those. They are fixing the problem I had with the ending, and I'm happy for it.
    That's fine, however, the primary reasons you listed for the rest are all pretty much one in the same. The lack of choice, the epilogue, it was all the same; just like the endings regardless of what you were forced to 'choose'.