Thread: RPG Backtrack: Episode 69 - The Magical Kingdom

Code: Kirin RPGamer Staff JuMeSyn's Avatar

RPG Backtrack: Episode 69 - The Magical Kingdom

Brownie Brown made a couple of tasty confections for Nintendo handhelds filled with gummy products. How much magic is there when students have to prove that their lessons took hold?
    Potential sugar coma time.
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff jcservant's Avatar
    Brownie Brown! I keeeel meee! hahahaahahah.

And that song...OMG...I can't....get...it out...of my head!! SAAAAMMMMMMMM!!!

Angel-Possessed Priestess Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    I do wish I hadn't missed this one. I still wonder if I was really the only manager who could have closed that evening...
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

LOL. Well, don't forget that you can always call the hotline and record your story for all to hear! We'll add it right on the end of the next show. (801) 810-5597

Edit: Phil mentioned the secret to DS native resolution, though my preferred solution to the problem is the DSiHueg.
    Last edited by Shaymin; 04-06-2012 at 11:58 AM.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups

Yeah, it surprised me when I first tried playing SMT:SJ in my 3DS....espcially that a little bit of the top or the bottom of the screen was chopped off (The resizing to fix the screen was overblown a bit.) Like I said on the show, it's not a HUGE deal by any stratch...I'm just a bit of a graphic-phile, and I don't like my text to have an anti-alias look to it. I like to play games in their native resolution whenever possible.

So, for me, the preferred solution is the DS Lite, since it can also play GBA games nice and bright. Great for when I need a GBA retrogaming fix. (I tried playing GBA games on my original GBA Advance Lite or whatever its called, but it's just not as bright and pretty as the DS lite).

Phil I'm I right in guessing that you did not read your whole 3DS Instruction Manual? Because it does say in there how to display your DS/DSi/DSiWare games at their original resolution.

That said, your instructions were ever so slightly wrong: You only need to hold START or SELECT as the game starts up, rather than holding both.
    (You can also tap the game with the stylus to open it, or select Open option. If you don't want to use the A button.)

I have used it a couple of times (e.g. Zelda:4 Swords) and it does look noticeably sharper. But ultimately I knew the 3DS wasn't going to replace my DSiXL when I bought it, so rarely play DS games on it.

Read manual? Are you serious? Do you know what century we live in? :P Why spend 10 minutes reading a manual when I can look it up on the net in 60 seconds LOL.

It does look sharper, but there's minor caveat. The screens get huge black bars (in other words, the DS game screens get much smaller than their native counterparts). Of course, this is due to the fact that the resolution of the 3DS screen is significantly higher than the DS (Had that issue when I play older DOS and WIN games on my high res monitor. Tiny pictures!). You're right...I'd rather play it on a DS/DSi, 3DS aliased (in order from best to not-so-best)

Can someone fix the iTunes feed please? Thanks

Angel-Possessed Priestess Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    Aww, no mention at all of the wacky Pyrites?

I guess I'll have to fix that...
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff GaijinMonogatari's Avatar
    Yeah, we forgot to mention several of the odder races that inhabit the MV games. I managed to mention the Konyaku Jelly Man near the end, at least...

Ooooh, Calling me out Are you? well two can play that game Backtrack!

So, I find it funny that you guys are praising Nier for having a Mature Protagonist and not a Spiky-Haired teen...Pretty odd, considering how the japanese only PS3 version(I.e, the only version people in japan would be likely to play) replaces that mature protagonist with a feathery haired effeminate teenager, and makes him the girls older brother instead of her father.
    Also odd how you dont mention How, well, DEPRESSING that game gets about halfway through. or the multiple endings. or the weapon upgrading. Or a lot of things.
    Very.
    Odd.
    ive got candy

Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff Nyx's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMaddness View Post

So, I find it funny that you guys are praising Nier for having a Mature Protagonist and not a Spiky-Haired teen...Pretty odd, considering how the japanese only PS3 version(I.e, the only version people in japan would be likely to play) replaces that mature protagonist with a feathery haired effeminate teenager, and makes him the girls older brother instead of her father.
    Also odd how you dont mention How, well, DEPRESSING that game gets about halfway through. or the multiple endings. or the weapon upgrading. Or a lot of things.
    Very.
    Odd.
    Pretty sure on the podcast I openly admitted I haven't finished or got very far in the game. I liked what I played, I just never had the chance to finish it, so I actually don't know HOW much more depressing it gets (I can only assume). It's a game I plan on going back to when I'm not bogged down but real life problems. Guess people forget that stuff. :P

Quote Originally Posted by TheMaddness View Post

Very.
    Odd.
    Well, first, as has been mentioned numerous times on the boards, most of us only play the NA versions of the games, and we generally make no effort to obtain/play the other versions to compare/contrast the two. I was aware that the Japanese version is different...but since the VAST majority of our listening audience is only going to have access to the NA one, that's the one we discussed in the show

As far as your other concerns, I would point out that in the "Blast from the Recent Past" segment, we don't go into exhausive detail about the game and its mechanics. That's what the "Main Event" is for. In the Blast segment we give each game about 3-10 minutes of discussion. This means that we tend to focus on those elements that really stuck out for us. So, yeah, there are a LOT of details which are purposefully left out...but we always encourage our listeners to check out the official RPGamer review for more details

Of course, we ALWAYS encourage our listeners to call (801) 810-5597 to give us their own thoughts on any game we talk about, and even those we don't (as long as they are RPGs at least 2 years old). Maybe you could do two phone calls...one to talk about YOUR experiences with Nier, and anothe one to tell us what was so good about Superstar Saga! Your last post about it made us think the cat got your tongue, hehehehe. (It was the highlight of MY night).

OH REALLY?! WellNo no no, youre supposed to act surprised, then defensive so you can play up the feedback drama in the next episode! Dont you know anything about internet dramatics?! Actually, I figured all of that and just thought I'd drop a few details since I thought someone might find it interesting.Ive listened to every episode, I know how it goes.to you!

As For Magical Starsign, I actually was looking forward to it before it came out, RPG on the DS and all, But when it dropped, I started seeing all sorts of middling to poor reviews for it, which kind of crushed my enthusiasm. The box art, as previously stated in the backtrack, didnt help. I might actually see if I can pick it up on the cheap now. Still trying to find a copy of Knights in the Nightmare too.
    ive got candy

LOL. Yeah...Well, I DO get defensive ...usually out of principle! hahaaha. I Really enjoy debating video game topics even though I realize it's completely pointless. Nerd rage FTW! Mwahahahah!