Thread: Final Risen 2: Dark Waters Community Q & A

- Fancy Title - RPGamer Staff risingsun's Avatar

Final Risen 2: Dark Waters Community Q & A

With Risen 2: Dark Waters set to launch on April 27, We talked to Piranha Bytes one last time to get answers to our community's questions. Be sure to check it out.

-Link
    Last edited by risingsun; 04-13-2012 at 10:31 AM.

Releaser of Heavy Metal LegendaryZoltan's Avatar
    I have mixed feelings about these QA sessions. Feeling number one is, "Awesome. They want to answer our questions." Feeling number two is, "This game sounds great to me." However, feeling number 3 is, "Why the HELL do they avoid questions like that. The guy very CONCRETELY asked how many islands there are to explore and Bjorn just totally ignores it. WTF?!" I think I made that same complaint during the last QA session, actually. It really drives me crazy. If there are only 2 islands, then just say that. Nobody's gonna freaking say, "that's not enough. This game is not for me." It just boggles my mind why any game developer doesn't embrace the choices it makes. Honestly, if I were a game company, I would be the most trustworthy one there is so easily.
    Like RPGs? Then you will like my RPG comedy show. Watch free RIGHT HERE!

FaceBook | Twitter | Website

Out of interest, did you only send a few of the questions along, or are those the only ones they elected to answer?

Can't wait for this game. I have a feeling it isn't going to do significantly better than the first one, but oh well.

The guy answering these questions must have been to politician school or something. He avoids a direct answer every time. After all these Q&As, I feel like I've learnt nothing of value about the game at all.

Releaser of Heavy Metal LegendaryZoltan's Avatar
    OK. Anna from RPGcast said that the development team answers our questions honestly and then the marketing dept. or someone edits their responses. So I should be annoyed at Bjorn but I should be annoyed at the marketing team. I don't really know how to take this new information.
    Like RPGs? Then you will like my RPG comedy show. Watch free RIGHT HERE!

FaceBook | Twitter | Website

To be a little more specific, I said in situations where answers feel scrubbed or pre-written, the chances are good the team has written something the marketing team didn't want to approve as-is and modified it. I don't know who does the internal marketing for this particular team, but IMO these answers sound oddly stinted, like chunks were taken out.

Quote Originally Posted by Paws View Post
    To be a little more specific, I said in situations where answers feel scrubbed or pre-written, the chances are good the team has written something the marketing team didn't want to approve as-is and modified it. I don't know who does the internal marketing for this particular team, but IMO these answers sound oddly stinted, like chunks were taken out.
    Could also be a language barrier issue that was not really cleaned up?
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

Hmm. Under normal circumstances I'd say yes (because I really -don't- know 100% for sure), but in this case I'm 99% certain I *do* know who does their external PR, and I can't imagine she wouldn't localize answers as needed.

Now that this is finally out (on PC) when can expect a staff review? It'd be interesting to see how all the stuff that's been talked about in these many Q & A's actually stack up against the game.

This paragraph puts it best (and ends great):

Risen 2's slow-paced progression and clumsy combat require and reward patience, something Risen and Gothic veterans have in spades. If you are such a player, you might be surprised by how focused this sequel is when compared with its sprawling, unforgiving predecessors. But Risen 2: Dark Waters surpasses its foibles, offering up a joyous and occasionally profane odyssey through humid jungles, dank caves, and imposing temples. It also lets you make monkeys fight each other, and that's a mechanic any RPG lover can get behind.

I don't think PB outright lied about anything, but in retrospect they were kind of lucky with the questions people were asking. If someone had asked "will your game perform worse on my PC than The Witcher 2?" they'd have been in some serious ****ing trouble.

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kaleyboy View Post
    Now that this is finally out (on PC) when can expect a staff review? It'd be interesting to see how all the stuff that's been talked about in these many Q & A's actually stack up against the game.
    I believe one of our quicker reviewers is playing through it right now.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance