Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RPGCast - Episode 218: "Prinny for President"

Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflict Administrator sabin1001's Avatar

RPGCast - Episode 218: "Prinny for President"

RPGCast - Episode 218: "Prinny for President"

Demon's Souls meets its end while Dark Souls expands its market. Surprisingly, Legend of Dragoon is back from the dead. But the real question is: do real gamers play their laptops in bed?

You can find the links to all our stories on delicious: http://delicious.com/rpgamer/218

RPGCast streams live, sometimes on Friday at 10 PM Eastern / 7 PM Pacific, usually on Saturday at Noon Eastern / 9 AM Pacific.

Leave your feedback in the following ways!
    Post in this thread.
    Email us at podcast@rpgamer.com
    Leave us a voicemail at (608) 729-4098
    Email us an mp3 or m4a voicemail at podcast@rpgamer.com

Download the show: "Prinny for President"
    Subscribe to the feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/Rpgcast
    Subscribe in iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...t?id=264306390
    Subscribe your Zune: Zune Player Link

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff GaijinMonogatari's Avatar
    I might as well comment on the Ni no Kuni situation.

The main body of the DS storyline is incorporated into the PS3 game. Up until maybe a third of the way through, it's 90% identical. It starts to diverge once the map opens up some. So all the bits that sabin remembers from the DS preview copy are in the PS3 game practically screen for screen with only minor variations (and even prettier graphics).
    The BATTLE SYSTEM, on the other hand, is completely different, as is the way that the game handles the monster dudes.

The Book is included digitally within the PS3 game, which isn't the same. I got a second physical copy as a pre-order bonus, though.

I didn't learn anything! MasterChief's Avatar
    I gotta take issue with Mikel's "download it in 5 minutes and play" remark. For bigger games on my Steam account (UT3, STALKER, DNF), it takes me anywhere from 4-6 hours to download them, contrast from 6-10 minutes getting it from the boxes in my closet. There are some games I HAVE to download on Steam overnight. Mind you, I got AT&T Uverse in Miami, Florida. This seems to be the fundamental disconnect I'm having with a lot of the digital-only cheerleaders with awesome, $100/month 20megabit internet. That's not most people, it's not going to be most people for a long time to come, and it's like people like Chris, Mikel and Manny don't understand that not everyone's as fortunate as them.

Also, I think the strawman argument of digital or collector's edition is silly. I buy standard editions, toss the over-large boxes, put the discs in CD cases and stick the CD cases in system-sorted tupperware boxes.

PS: Mikel only hates the Khajit because they're not sexed up anime girls.
    Last edited by MasterChief; 04-15-2012 at 02:12 AM.

"What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.

Releaser of Heavy Metal LegendaryZoltan's Avatar
    Wait! The Zodiac Spear isn't the strongest weapon? Then what is!?

I am a hyper OCD gamer. I originally had a different PSN account, which contained some pretty impressive platinum trophies. Including FF13 and Demon's Souls. But because of a bunch of other games not having the 100% on it I actually deleted that account and started that nonsense all over on a brand new account. You can check my current PSN account (LegendaryZoltan) and see that I currently have only 3 unplatinumed games on there because they're in progress. I know it's stupid but it's a very real mental hang up for me. I won't buy a new game until I've maxed out on the current games. Which is part of the reason I hate DLC. Because sometimes they add trophies to it and then I HAVE to buy it and play it or else the number won't go back up to 100%. Yeah. . . My life totally sucks.

I can't imagine how amazing an RPG Maker game would have to be to cost $10,000. I don't think it's fair to use the Kickstarter money for anything not related to developing the game, though.

I think that Level 5 just wanted to Subsidize the development costs of Ni No Kuni by releasing a DS version. It happened with Tales of Vesperia and White Knight Chronicles 2. I think it's the same thing. They're just getting better at making the subsidy version more complete. That's what I think, anyway.

What about 38 Studios or Big Huge Games? Weren't they always very honest in any public statements about Kingdoms of Amalur? If Bjorn himself is not the guy to blame, then I blame the marketing department but I honestly feel like they're losing more business than they're saving by being vague. Like I said in the Risen 2 forums. If there's only one set ending or only two islands to explore, just say that. I doubt very many people will say, "Oh nevermind then. That sounds crappy."

Quote Originally Posted by LegendaryZoltan View Post
    I can't imagine how amazing an RPG Maker game would have to be to cost $10,000.
    For a six person team it's actually absurdly little. Programmers and artists don't demand less money just because they're working with a ****ty engine. Realistically $10000 should only get him about a month of work, if that. I guess most of these people are working for free, and the money will go on whatever they have to outsource.

EDIT: HAHAHAHAHAHA
    Last edited by Drav; 04-17-2012 at 05:53 AM.

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff GaijinMonogatari's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LegendaryZoltan View Post

I think that Level 5 just wanted to Subsidize the development costs of Ni No Kuni by releasing a DS version. It happened with Tales of Vesperia and White Knight Chronicles 2. I think it's the same thing. They're just getting better at making the subsidy version more complete. That's what I think, anyway.
    That would be a viable theory if it weren't for the fact that the DS and PS3 games have pretty much nothing in common at the gameplay level. The story is largely the same-ish in the broad sense (would go into more detail, but There Be Spoilers), but the battles, environments, methods of leveling, and monster advancement are quite different.

Releaser of Heavy Metal LegendaryZoltan's Avatar
    Oh. OK. I guess not then.

Richard Horvitz. This is the voice actor you're looking for. He also does the voice of the protagonist in Psychonauts.
    Vanillaware’s 2D is, once again, shaming their competitor’s 3D. It’s like, what are you even doing with your extra D, jerks? Maybe we should hold that extra D in reserve for you, like a trust, until you are ready. - Tycho, Penny Arcade

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff 7thCircle's Avatar
    Was there an Invader Zim discussion?
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.

No, Anna was talking about voice actors. I answered in the chat, but no one was paying attention
    ive got candy

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff 7thCircle's Avatar
    A conversation that alluded to Richard Horvitz and didn't mention Invader Zim?! That's the most ignorant discussion the RPGCast has ever had. And I swear I've seen Chris with Zim paraphernalia before.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.

Perhaps you should listen to the podcast before posting here.

Zim and Gir were both mentioned by name, but the tv show wasn't. It was more in passing than an actual conversation about it.
    Vanillaware’s 2D is, once again, shaming their competitor’s 3D. It’s like, what are you even doing with your extra D, jerks? Maybe we should hold that extra D in reserve for you, like a trust, until you are ready. - Tycho, Penny Arcade

President of Soft Paws SeraphimKitten's Avatar
    Great podcast! Even the parts that weren't about Sare, Paws, or I.

In regards to the laptop question at the beginning, after leg surgery I had a setup going with a laptop that worked fairly well, but I'm not sure I'd want to do it on a regular basis. Still, it worked for over a month. I found my PSP worked best (once the painkillers were tuned down), though the screen is bright. I'm not sure if that translates into a recommendation for a Vita or not. My useful piece of advice is this: take into account if your spouse is awoken by noise or sound, and make sure they're part of the decision.

Keep the politics off the podcast. I'm not at all interested in listening to the Obama fanboy cast.
    Check out my fledgling youtube channel. It's small now, but if I get more subscribers I will start doing more with it, so stay tuned!

http://www.youtube.com/user/HellDest...7?feature=mhee

Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflict Administrator sabin1001's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaku77 View Post
    Keep the politics off the podcast. I'm not at all interested in listening to the Obama fanboy cast.
    Not only do I not know what you're talking about, but I didn't vote for Obama.

One, let's put down the attitude before someone gets hurt. Two, while I haven't gone back and listened to the cast again, I have no bloody clue what you're talking about, especially since half the panel isn't even American.

Quote Originally Posted by sabin1001 View Post
    Not only do I not know what you're talking about, but I didn't vote for Obama.
    You also didn't chyme in, and that wasn't really directed at you. When it turns into a circus of ragging on republicans, my initial statement is quite obviously implied.
    Check out my fledgling youtube channel. It's small now, but if I get more subscribers I will start doing more with it, so stay tuned!

I didn't learn anything! MasterChief's Avatar
    Ah politics, what can't you ruin?

"What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.

Oh, you crazy Americans. Politics in the rest of the world is not a binary set. This is not a case of making fun of one politician means you love another. It means you're making fun of one politician. Don't read any further.

If only it were actually that way in America... lol