Thread: Dragon's Dogma Demo to Descend Next Week

Dragon's Dogma Demo to Descend Next Week

Tired of being yelled at, dragons begin shouting religious doctrine in response. This is not a feature in Capcom's latest demo.

[NEWS]

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

GM,DM,PC,NPC,1P,2P & TG TG Barighm's Avatar
    FUS RO DAH! ...hmm, that's probably why their dogma isn't very popular. :P

Anywho, sweet news.

Good, the game is looking good but I'm not 100% sold. Maybe the demo will convince me one way or the other.

It's hilarious how not amazing this is going to be

www.powerlinemag.com

"I remember back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's especially hilarious given modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of an FF7 remake." - Masterchief

I have to say, I am pretty underwhelmed at this point. really pleased that a demo is provided though. I am a capcom action game fan from the ps2 era so combining two great ideas (capcom action and rpgs) has to be a fantastic one, right? but seriously this game seems like its really aiming high, which I appreciate. It reminds me of demon souls somehow...
    Now Playing: Final Fantasy 13-2, Xenosaga 2, Wild Arms 2, Zelda Twilight Princess

I've DL it.
    I just need to play it.

I was confused and a bit frustrated by this demo, but it left me intrigued. I've since heard tell that the demo is from a considerably old build, and whether that is true or not, many of the video previews floating around show quite a bit more promise than my short experience with it did. There's a chance that there is a solid, innovative, if too ambitious game here; I'll think I'll be waiting for the reviews, however.

The demo was way to short. I spent more time creating my character and her pawn then playing both scenario the demo gave you. It was literally 10 minutes of gameplay.
    Give me Underboob, or give me death!

"As a gaming enthusiast, people who carry a pro-hacker flag for selfish self-entitled reasons and willfully ignore the damage that rampant piracy does to developers as well as hardware producers don't deserve to enjoy the games and systems that these companies have poured their souls into to produce."

"A late game is only late until it ships. A bad game is bad until the end of time." ~ David Jaffe

I like how the game is shaping up to be boss heavy, but right now, I have no idea how to perform the most basic functions, so it's hard to accurately judge the gameplay. Combat feels a bit button mashy, and the game felt a little too easy to use finesse, so I hope they tighten that up for the main game. At the very least, teamwork matters, but it would matter a lot more if the pacing was more deliberate. Often times it felt like my allies were dispatching foes too well, too quickly, for anything I did to matter. At least there's a good number of tactics on display: slam your shield with your sword to draw the beast's attention. When it charges, dive out of the way and it crashes into the wall giving you time to run up and bash it in the head to stun it. This gives your mage the precious few seconds he needs to set the beast aflame while you leap on its back and hack away.

The game certainly LOOKS cool. I'm sure someone watching you fight a griffon and chimera with so many different animations would be impressed. The editor is also pretty deep and whatever you create in the demo can be used in the full game.

Overall, I'd say the game is promising.
    Last edited by TG Barighm; 04-26-2012 at 11:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TG Barighm View Post
    I think what will ultimately make or break it is how well it balances single and multiplayer.
    TG, I'm almost positive there is no local or online multiplayer for this game. The only social aspect of this game I have seen is the rift stone which allows you to recruit the pawns of other players into your party. Since this whole system would be undermined by the ability for other players themselves to join your party, I'm guessing that can't happen.

I was always under the impression this was supposed to be a multiplayer game. The early announcements said as much and there are notes in the demo's editor about "players seeing your name".

Ah, well. If it's purely singleplayer, that's fine by me.

Quote Originally Posted by Oyashiro View Post
    The demo was way to short. I spent more time creating my character and her pawn then playing both scenario the demo gave you. It was literally 10 minutes of gameplay.
    At least you get to save that character for the full version...if you decide to get the full version.

Quote Originally Posted by TG Barighm View Post
    I was always under the impression this was supposed to be a multiplayer game. The early announcements said as much and there are notes in the demo's editor about "players seeing your name".

Ah, well. If it's purely singleplayer, that's fine by me.
    You get to share your characters with other players, I believe, just not active play with them.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    Yep, you get to browse and hire other player's minions. That part is actually kind of cool.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Quote Originally Posted by Macstorm View Post
    At least you get to save that character for the full version...if you decide to get the full version.
    I wished they let you walk around and explore a little more. It just seemed like it was less then bare bones for a Demo of a RPG.
    Give me Underboob, or give me death!

"As a gaming enthusiast, people who carry a pro-hacker flag for selfish self-entitled reasons and willfully ignore the damage that rampant piracy does to developers as well as hardware producers don't deserve to enjoy the games and systems that these companies have poured their souls into to produce."

"A late game is only late until it ships. A bad game is bad until the end of time." ~ David Jaffe

Apparently the main purpose of hiring your minions out is to scout. You know all those lines they shout out during battle, like using fire to kill flying creatures? Apparently they don't know that from the beginning. They have to learn by taking part in other players' quests and defeating monsters. They also learn tricks for overcoming puzzles or clearing dungeons. That's the impression I got from this one preview I just read anyway. Nice to know there is more to pawns than looks.

I wished they let you walk around and explore a little more. It just seemed like it was less then bare bones for a Demo of a RPG.
    Yeah, but if you think about it, how would that set Dragon's Dogma apart from other recent RPGs especially when the current crop consists of Skyrim, Dark Souls, and the Witcher 2? It wouldn't, so they would have to focus on the one thing that does set the game apart: combat, teamwork, tactics, etc.