Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dragon's Crown Still Lives

Dragon's Crown Still Lives

When you play the game of publishers, you get released or get cancelled. Thankfully, this crown seems to be changing hands with little bloodshed.

Story

---------
    Originally posted by Rebochan:
    I just got an Atlus Faithful e-mail advertising Dragon's Crown for 2013.

Now, this was a bit odd since when it was announced, Ignition was handling said publishing and localizing duties. I clicked the link and saw the news.

So now I can stop worrying about the localization of that title. Also, I'm wondering if Ignition's past blunders have finally caught up to them. Oh, and by "past blunders", I don't mean crappy RPG localizations.
    Last edited by flamethrower; 04-20-2012 at 07:14 AM.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

Angel-Possessed Priestess Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    Oh the irony of it all. But hey, at least the game is in better hands.
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

Maybe Devil Survivor 2's character designer can give Dragon's Crown's designer tips on how to draw realistic-looking women.

still don't know anything about this game but if it's atlus i'll give it a shot.

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    Dragon's Crown will now be good. Atlus has that ability...save for their Online division. -_-
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.

And across the land all was praise as this once doomed game saw light and hope spread forth for it's release.
    I am bad and that is good, I will never be good and that's not bad, there's no one I'd rather be than me - Wreck-it-Ralph

27 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a Proud if slightly annoyed Father :D

I wonder if people will be as willing to call shenanigans this time when it's everyone's favourite publisher and not Ignition.

Quote Originally Posted by ThroneofDravaris View Post
    I wonder if people will be as willing to call shenanigans this time when it's everyone's favourite publisher and not Ignition.
    There's a perfectly good reason for this. People want the best localization possible, or maybe just a good localization. The Muramasa and Arc Rise Fantasia localizations fell short of that mark. Maybe it's shenanigans, but gamers care more about game quality than publisher profits. No one would have had a problem with the shenanigans if they didn't affect game quality.

Maybe now the game will actually get some marketing. This probably isn't the game, but I would love to see Vanillaware achieve a surprise success that explodes the company into large profitability. It seems like they have been struggling to keep their heads above the water for a long time. Still, I'm just glad to see this game getting a release. My Amazon preorder cancellation scared the crap out of me.
    Vanillaware’s 2D is, once again, shaming their competitor’s 3D. It’s like, what are you even doing with your extra D, jerks? Maybe we should hold that extra D in reserve for you, like a trust, until you are ready. - Tycho, Penny Arcade

love me some atlus. interest renewed
    Now Playing: Final Fantasy 13-2, Xenosaga 2, Wild Arms 2, Zelda Twilight Princess

Quote Originally Posted by flamethrower View Post
    There's a perfectly good reason for this. People want the best localization possible, or maybe just a good localization. The Muramasa and Arc Rise Fantasia localizations fell short of that mark. Maybe it's shenanigans, but gamers care more about game quality than publisher profits. No one would have had a problem with the shenanigans if they didn't affect game quality.
    If you're referring to the difference between when Ignition took games from XSEED, this is a totally different scenario. With Arc Rise and Muramasa, XSEED announced they were localizing them and were actually localizing them when Ignition offered more money to the Japanese publisher leading to Marvelous selling the game out from under XSEED for more money.

This time Ignition was helping actually develop this game and was acting as the sole publisher, but apparently somethings up with them because they were bought by Disney, haven't released anything in forever, and are no longer willing (or more likely able) to work with Vanillaware on Dragon's Crown. So Atlus is coming in to snatch up a game that was likely floundering, not taking a game someone else was actively working on with 100% intent to release.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

Ignition will probably be closed down, so it's great to see that this game won't be cancelled. Atlus also bought the Dragon's Crown Ip, so they'll probably help Vanillaware with production.

Wait! You mean I get to give Atlus more money?! SWEET!
    Give me Underboob, or give me death!

"As a gaming enthusiast, people who carry a pro-hacker flag for selfish self-entitled reasons and willfully ignore the damage that rampant piracy does to developers as well as hardware producers don't deserve to enjoy the games and systems that these companies have poured their souls into to produce."

"A late game is only late until it ships. A bad game is bad until the end of time." ~ David Jaffe

re: Macstorm

I didn't really want to trust Ignition, even if they were putting in effort. I can't be the only person unable to forgive those sins. I had no idea they were trying harder on the Dragon's Crown localization than they had done previously.

I was also kind of looking forward to a "PS3 is better than Vita" and vice versa flame war. C'mon guys! (EDIT: Maybe this multiplatform flame war thing only happens with Final Fantasy)
    The Vita version is better because it's cheaper.
    The PS3 version is better because the graphics are higher resolution.

Does either version have any gimmicky controls (move, touch, etc...)?

Quote Originally Posted by flamethrower View Post
    I didn't really want to trust Ignition, even if they were putting in effort. I can't be the only person unable to forgive those sins. I had no idea they were trying harder on the Dragon's Crown localization than they had done previously.
    I don't know if it's a matter of them trying harder, but they were likely throwing more money at it. It seems like they were behind the game's creation from the start instead of jumping in after development just to try to localize it.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

Who needs Rinoa anyway? Rebochan's Avatar
    Frankly, I'm really not surprised. Ignition as a corporate entity has done nothing to get goodwill from its terrible localizations, and its original IP ventures have just bled money with nothing to show for it. I think they hoped this could turn their company around, but I think the reaper is at Ignition's door if they can't somehow get Reich out and save the studio.
    "One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings." -- Diogenes

At the risk of coming off as whiny...

...2013?! Awww maaaaaan :s

i can post! thanx paws! Maudren's Avatar
    I'm only calling shenanigans on the new pricing. I'm glad the game is coming out at all now, but really? It wasn't profitable at 29.99? So, now it's 49.99. Only 10 dollars cheaper than say, Skyrim and Mass Effect 3 and God of War 3 and Uncharted 1, 2 and 3.

Judging from their budget to price ratio, the games I listed must have been huge busts for their respective developers/publishers.

Or is Atlus saying the budget of Dragon Crown is in the area of those other games?

Someone correct my snark if I'm wrong, I usually am. I'm used to it, but count me in on team whiny.

Edit: come to think of it, they may be factoring in the cost of actually purchasing the rights to the game.
    sup?

Think of it this way: If Atlus hadn't bought the rights, the most likely outcome would be that Dragon's Crown would have been cancelled. Only because the game is 2D and and doesn't have the same budget as Skyrim doesn't mean the game can't be sold for $49.99 ($39.99 for Vita).

I don't care who's publishing it. The sooner I get to watch my ridiculously top-heavy sorceress striding across the screen, the better!