Thread: RPGCast - Episode 219: "The one where we talk about RPGs"

Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflict Administrator sabin1001's Avatar

RPGCast - Episode 219: "The one where we talk about RPGs"

RPGCast - Episode 219: "The one where we talk about RPGs"

We get some updates about many kickstarter projects as well as a Vanillaware game we haven't heard from in a while. Manny drops some knowledge about Front Mission and Mikel loses his cereal.

You can find the links to all our stories on delicious: http://delicious.com/rpgamer/219

RPGCast streams live, sometimes on Friday at 10 PM Eastern / 7 PM Pacific, usually on Saturday at Noon Eastern / 9 AM Pacific.

Leave your feedback in the following ways!
    Post in this thread.
    Email us at podcast@rpgamer.com
    Leave us a voicemail at (608) 729-4098
    Email us an mp3 or m4a voicemail at podcast@rpgamer.com

Download the show: "The one where we talk about RPGs"
    Subscribe to the feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/Rpgcast
    Subscribe in iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...t?id=264306390
    Subscribe your Zune: Zune Player Link

I didn't learn anything! MasterChief's Avatar
    First off, I'm not sure we're trending toward anything, with the US barely in the top 25 in broadband connected countries as of Jan. 2012 (23rd, at 30.4% penetration), and no set criteria as to what even really counts as "broadband." John can go rah rah at least, because the UK is 17th, with 34.3% penetration. Something tells me it's going to take a long time, and a lot of tough decisions, before reliable, suitably fast internet is available to everyone, to say nothing of what we'll be asked to pay.

And yeah, 8 hours for a download is way too damned long for something that's going to "replace" physical discs in the foreseeable future.

Anyway, what really made me pull what little hair I have is the fact that there is a good Saturn emulator out there! A couple, actually. SSF is widely regarded as the best Sega Saturn emulator out there, and while some of the english in the menus is wonky (it's a Japanese emulator), it'll run most games at high speed, looking damn near perfect. A pretty good emulator in its own right, Yabause has a good compatibility and speed as well, though a bit less robust than SSF. It allows for ISO booting, though, so if you'd rather rip your CDs and play them that way, you won't have to futz around with virtual drives.

"What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.

I'm not sure how much I trust the info in that site. Its top 25 is dominated by small countries which most major cities have higher populations than. I'm no expert in statistics, but it doesn't seem to tell the whole picture if you do it by population that way surely..
    Have a look at this site as well. http://www.netindex.com/ But Masterchief is definitely right, high speed internet is going to need to become a whole lot easier to afford, and be more readily available if the industry is going to go down this digital media route.
    I like the simplicity you get with cartridges or older games, where I don't necessarily need to download, install, install updates/patches/dlc just to play the game.

Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflict Administrator sabin1001's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterChief View Post
    Anyway, what really made me pull what little hair I have is the fact that there is a good Saturn emulator out there! A couple, actually. SSF is widely regarded as the best Sega Saturn emulator out there, and while some of the english in the menus is wonky (it's a Japanese emulator), it'll run most games at high speed, looking damn near perfect. A pretty good emulator in its own right, Yabause has a good compatibility and speed as well, though a bit less robust than SSF. It allows for ISO booting, though, so if you'd rather rip your CDs and play them
    that way, you won't have to futz around with virtual drives.
    Will it run Panzer Dragoon Saga without issues?

I didn't learn anything! MasterChief's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sabin1001 View Post
    Well, understandably I've not had a chance to try it for reasons that should be obvious. You're in a better position than me to test it.

"What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Wheels's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sabin1001 View Post
    I believe it does. I know it runs on one of the Saturn emulators, I think that's the one.

Also, All the Shining Force III scenarios. SSF was my go to while I was between working Saturns.

I know this is not Massively multiplayer online roleplaying game .com but TERA was briefly mentioned by Mikel and kinda moaned at by Chris. I had pre-ordered the game yesterday and I'm persevering with it despite

1) 5 developers from TERA are ex lineage developers and rather idiotically reused Lineage 3 intellectual property (code) when they worked for NC soft, they might even get custodial sentences
    source http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/04...riminal-trial/
    2) There was some confusion as Frogster tries to get a lower PEGI rating for European versions of TERA and there was an angry fan response with the controversy over sexualization of small bodied entities as too smilar to children and nipples and thongs and blood.
    2 a) Seriously-target audience What is the largest market share/demographic? This is a Korean style game with cultural differences I would argue in Korea this game is directed at teenagers to above- so what is different about the same demographic in Europe?
    Nipples, thongs and blood are too stimulating to European teenagers lol, so the obvious solution is to make it 18 end of story. If you wanted to make a game targetted at the younger bracket you should not have made the game as it is now. As for the Paedophilia argument, seriously don't we don't have the imagination to understand that demons and fairies can have different forms and attire such as child sizes in high fantasy come-on! with the correct PEGI young children shouldn't be playing at all.
    Cartoons and games doesn't encourage people in any country I know from dressing up their children in thongs as the norm-duh. Or force them to fight others to a bloody end- this is a GAME.
    b) What I really mean is that these controversial "elements" are not necessary for my enjoyment of the game or core mechanics, I'm just really angered and patronised that it's implied that I can't handle such content , or that the game is edited and censored from the original to "protect" it from those who shouldn't be playing the game in order to hopefully get a few more subscibers who would have probably illegally played the game even if it's a higher PEGI because we can't enforce morality at the parental level.