Thread: RPG Backtrack: Episode 70 - Under the Cherry Tree Moon

Code: Kirin RPGamer Staff JuMeSyn's Avatar

RPG Backtrack: Episode 70 - Under the Cherry Tree Moon

In a world where demonic forces seek to bring the great cities to their knees, something must be done. Turns out young women piloting steam-powered robots are the ideal defense.
    Huh. How about that.
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

Angel-Possessed Priestess Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    The episode still hasn't shown up in iTunes, though the feed doesn't seem to be broken.
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

Dread News Editor RPGamer Staff Fowl Sorcerous's Avatar
    I'm scott and I approve this podcast. more games need hot ladies and giant robots.

Well well, I guess I'll take a crack at the Sketch Challenge. Hmm, I gather the relevance on this one, what with the singing and allies in the fact that(I gather), In Sakura Wars, The girls singing Somehow empowers the big steam powered robots? And the fact that I guess lyrically a lot of them are somewhat silly? That and the fact that It's A Small World is a monotonous annoying song that I dont think anyone likes. There also might have been some sort of movie reference, but maybe im imagining that.

I have some nitpicks about your summary of the Borderlands Solo player experience, But im really tired so I'll put that off for now.
    ive got candy

Releaser of Heavy Metal LegendaryZoltan's Avatar
    OH MY GOD! All that stuff about the first unlocalized Sakura Wars game that Mike Moehnke sounds FREAKING AWESOME! You fight a guy named Satan and then he turns out to be the REAL Satan! Hilarious! And he kills all the girls except the one you like. Amazing!
    Last edited by JuMeSyn; 05-01-2012 at 08:35 PM.

I believe the Ghostbusters had a modified NES Advantage joystick to control the Statue of Liberty and she is made of metal, so does that mean she was a giant song-powered Robot? ... Or just a ghost?!

The starting skit reminded me of Macross, with invaders defeated with music, but I remember so very little of Macross I couldn't guess how it is related. (Well I guess it does have mecha.)

Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff jcservant's Avatar
    Mr. Moehnke will peruse this thread carefully and tell me who the first and only winner is of this perrrty $20 gift certificate! WOOT
    Last edited by JuMeSyn; 04-25-2012 at 08:16 PM.

Angel-Possessed Priestess Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    Sakura Wars: So Long My Love certainly sounds promising. I bought the game day one, but it's been sitting on my shelf ever since. Arceus knows when I'll actually get around to play it. :P
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    It is super super fun to watch somebody else play Sakura Wars: So Long My Love. It is less fun to actually play it, because then you have to do the interminable battles.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

I also played Sakura Wars: So long my love back when it was released and I really liked it. As an anime fan, I found the lighthearted anime characters and situations charming and fun. If I remember correctly there was only 1 or 2 battles per chapter, so even though they were slower paced I liked the system itself. I liked the music and visuals as well and thought they were very fitting. I'm somewhat interested in the previous games and I know Mike mentioned that some of them were available for the PC; and was wondering if you know of an English patch so I could play it without the requisite FAQ.

A side note about the last episode which I finally got around to listening to. I wanted to comment on Agarest War. As a fan of "useless" collectors edition extras, this game has some of the craziest stuff in it(along with Atlus' Catherine). As far as the game goes, I'm not a huge fan of tactical RPGs, but I was really intriged by this game's generation system. One thing not mentioned about the battle system was the link system, in which player characters could link with allies if you positioned them in certain formations which would allow distant characters to join the active one in attacking the same enemy and allow you to fill a guage and land really powerful combos. However the sheer number of battles against the same old enemies on EMPTY and FLAT battlefields got old really fast. While I did like the dating sim aspects, the rest was just too tedious. So, like Sam, I gave up after getting to the second generation.

P.S. I like Final Fantasy VIII, so try not to give it such a hard time!

I just want to kick in on Phil's gripes with the 3DS playing DS games from episode 69. I haven't noticed the text issues, but the colors are noticeably washed out on all games. I fired up a few games that my household happens to have two copies on a DS Lite and a 3DS at the same time. The difference was very noticeable, especially on more colorful games such as Dragon Quest IX.
    Check out my fledgling youtube channel. It's small now, but if I get more subscribers I will start doing more with it, so stay tuned!

http://www.youtube.com/user/HellDest...7?feature=mhee