Thread: Impression - Guild Wars 2

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar

Impression - Guild Wars 2

RPGamer was invited to a Guild Wars 2 press event last weekend. Check out our playtime impressions right here, just in time for the first public Beta Weekend Event.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

I just pre-ordered TERA which will give me something to do before Diablo 3 but this game is definately one I want to keep an eye on. Diposable income go!

The game looks good, but I have a lot of reservations with the quests system. Like Becky said, the quest events seem boring and slow to try and solo. I saw some yogcast YouTube videos while they were questing and I almost fell asleep.

The other parts, such as pvp and dungeon runs, look very fun however.
    “Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen.”
    -Einstein

Tactic's Ogre I choose u! scorpio_7's Avatar
    From what I have noticed, it appears to me that this game will be great for the type of gamer who loves to team up with online friends to complete quests, but for the solo gamer it might be a bit monotonous.

I will definitely try it due to all the buzz and the visuals look nice. But as I am mainly a solo gamer, I doubt this one will be for me.

The thing is, the dynamic events won't really be something that you solo, even if you run around ungrouped. You can run around solo, but the other players around you will be helping you quest. My concern about soloability is more for the very long term, because it will be quite some time before you're the only player in an area.

I think it's hard to grasp how Guild Wars 2 plays if you're used to typical MMOs. This is actually a great game for people who enjoy MMOs because they can quest solo, but with other people around. In this game, the other people around you are actually helping you and making the dynamic events more interesting, despite not being in your group at all. Seeing press videos doesn't give you a good idea of how it works, because the press events haven't had enough people in them to show what it's like to run around with a ton of other people (I got an idea of what that's like at the beginning of our event while we were all in the same area). I'm super excited to play in the Beta Weekend Event this weekend, so I can have the full experience of playing on a server full of people.

GM,DM,PC,NPC,1P,2P & TG TG Barighm's Avatar
    What did you mean by "purchasing a squad leadership position" or whatever that was? Does this mean this game has a microtransaction purchasing structure after the initial purchase?

Quote Originally Posted by TG Barighm View Post
    What did you mean by "purchasing a squad leadership position" or whatever that was? Does this mean this game has a microtransaction purchasing structure after the initial purchase?
    It does have a microtransaction system, but squad leadership isn't part of that. Microtransaction stuff is just convenience or vanity items.

Squad leadership is purchased with in-game currency. An experienced PvP player can declare him- or herself a squad leader, and people can right click that person to join the squad in WvWvW. All squad members will join a chat channel together, and the squad leader will have a symbol visible of his/her head. It makes for easy ad-hoc organization in WvWvW.

Tactic's Ogre I choose u! scorpio_7's Avatar
    Yeah I'm sure playing it will give the best impression. Let us know what you think of the event weekend Ocelot.

Just finished playing for about 2 hours, on both a Human Mesmer and a Norn Warrior. Besides some expected latency issues due to them stress testing the servers, the game's exceeded all my expectations. It's pretty awesome being able to assist people without it being an issue at all, and seeing the dynamic events scale to the number of players participating. At one point I was preventing some bandits from blowing up a water treatment facility thing, and as more players showed up to participate, the number of bandits increased, until we had a small scale war going on.

Also, underwater combat! <3 it, it's handled so well. I only got to do a little of it, but I definitely want to make a ranger and go catch me some aquatic pets and have them focus on underwater adventuring if at all possible.