Thread: RPGCast - Episode 220: "The $150 RPGCast CE"

Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflict Administrator sabin1001's Avatar

RPGCast - Episode 220: "The $150 RPGCast CE"

RPGCast - Episode 220: "The $150 RPGCast CE"

The premium edition of the RPGCast comes with five vinyl statues, fourteen stickers, and two paper maps. Sorry, but we couldn't find a cloth map vendor and we're sure you'll appreciate this small aluminum pendant more anyway. Oh right, we include the news too.

You can find the links to all our stories on delicious: http://delicious.com/rpgamer/220

RPGCast streams live, sometimes on Friday at 10 PM Eastern / 7 PM Pacific, usually on Saturday at Noon Eastern / 9 AM Pacific.

Leave your feedback in the following ways!
    Post in this thread.
    Email us at podcast@rpgamer.com
    Leave us a voicemail at (608) 729-4098
    Email us an mp3 or m4a voicemail at podcast@rpgamer.com

Download the show: "The $150 RPGCast CE"
    Subscribe to the feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/Rpgcast
    Subscribe in iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...t?id=264306390
    Subscribe your Zune: Zune Player Link

The lovely nurse Member FreakGirl's Avatar
    I don't own many statues of game characters, but one of my favourites is definitely the Ezio statue (even though it's just plastic) I got with the Assassin's Creed 2 Black Edition. It's still standing right next to my pc monitor.
    It's a shame that I never got the Altair one, with AC 1, though. Always liked Altair more than Ezio ^^

Couple of weeks ago I got Mario & Luigi as plushies, which sit on a shelf over my TV in the bedroom.

What's also missing in my collection is a Prinny plushy. I only bought one Prinny plushy and a Prinny T-Shirt for my best friend. I think these were the best presents he got from me, so far ^^
    Currently playing: Diablo III, Max Payne 3, many XBLA games

GamerTag: FreakGirl
    PSN: Freakgirl1985

News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff Severin Mira's Avatar
    Here's a teaser for the Dragon Age movie if anyone wants to see it. Similar animation style to Vexille in addition to the ones Manny mentioned, not completely sold on it.
    "My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving universes."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU), severin-US (US) | NNID: severinmira | Skype: severinmk
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevirain Kristinger (Leviathan)

Releaser of Heavy Metal LegendaryZoltan's Avatar
    "He's . . . . . different . . . . . from other gamers" (dramatic look)

Risen 2 LOOKS really awesome when I see videos and screenshots of it but if the combat is really THAT bad, then I might pass it. But I'll see what console reviews say before I decide for sure because I REALLY want to play a pirate game on PS3!

There were a lot of really great conversations in this episode but one thing that Manuel said really stood out to me. He said that game reviewers are considered to mostly be cynical comedians. There are the professional reviewers such as IGN and stuff but even with those out there do you think there is much demand to hear just straight-forward reviews of games as opposed to reviews crossed with entertainment?

Also, I have a big announcement. I have purchased and began playing Tales of Vesperia. Why is that big news? Because it's ALL IN JAPANESE!!! Thus far, I have played two games entirely in Japanese, Zelda: Windwaker and Alundra, and this will only be the third. So, I have to respect the abilities of John Yearworth to play all those Tales and Super Robot Wars games all in Japanese. That is an impressive feat! Kudos to you! Let's see how many hours it takes me to platinum THIS one.
    Last edited by LegendaryZoltan; 04-29-2012 at 07:26 AM.

When I first started playing Japanese games, I had to rely a lot on basic pattern recognition, as I was still learning the ropes of the language. I did start playing my first SRT game while learning katakana, and since almost every unit (and a lot of the characters) are named in katakana, it helped reinforce my learning, and helped me identify who/what people were talking about in the talky sections, even if large portions of the text passed me by. For example, looking for "ナデシコ" in the text let me know that people were discussing the Nadesico from the anime of the same name.

Similarly, in Tales Of, if you gave me a flash card with "漸毅狼影陣" written on it, I'd shrug my shoulders because I can only identify the last kanji (陣), however, when playing Tales of Vesperia, I know it's Yuri's Zankou Roueijin (Savage Wolf Fury).

Sure, I miss a lot of nuance, but I still enjoy the games nonetheless.

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff GaijinMonogatari's Avatar
    Similar story for me. I was just learning katakana about the time Pokemon Gold/Silver came out in Japan, so I found a ROM online and used that for practice for a semester. Then bought a real copy

Just bear in mind that some kanji that are really common in Tales attack names are extremely rare everywhere else, lol.

And on the subject of figurines, the only one I have that actually had a game attached to it is my Elie clock (came with Atelier Elie GB). I also have a Sazh figure that came with a can of Potion, and a Little Battler (Level-5 PSP game) that I built from a kit. That's about it.

New Member New Registered User moenki's Avatar
    As per the discussion on books translated into RPG's, which I find theoretically fascinating, I don't think the subject needs to be limited by what comes naturally out of fantasy and science fiction. Yeah, Tolkien with its swords and magic seems like a natural fit, but think about how Suikoden came out of the Chinese classic novel "Water Margin," or that PS1 tactical RPG Saiyuki came from "Journey To The West." I would love to play an RPG from similar sources - say, Heike Monogatari or Kojiki. But even something like Victor Hugo's "Les Miserables," with it's large cast of characters and intriguing setting and storyline, could make for some RPG goodness coming though the wacky prism of Japanese game designers.

Unrelatedly, RPGCast posts at the best possible moment to help me get through the last couple hours of work on Saturdays. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by GaijinMonogatari View Post
    Just bear in mind that some kanji that are really common in Tales attack names are extremely rare everywhere else, lol.
    Or Tales Of in general. 煇 in Tales of Graces confused me for ages.

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

I keep finding books about this "Warcraft" universe, it sounds like it might make a decent RPG. Though I'd probably be more interested in a real-time strategy game, personally.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups

Angel-Possessed Priestess Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    It's possibly also because I also grinded a lot in Devil Survivor 2 (I wanted to get to a high enough level to fuse Amaterasu, but it was getting to monotonous by the end of the game and I went and beat the last boss anway), but I didn't think it was too hard. Difficult yes, but not super hard. I actually found DS2's last boss easier than the first game, and that includes the same boss in Overclocked.

Most of my plushies and figurines are Pokemon-related. The only RPG figurine I have that isn't Pokemon is of Zelos of Tales of Symphonia. I had Chester from Tales of Phantasia, but he's disappeared on me.
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

New Member Member
    This generation has the most well received RPGs when comparing 5th, 6th, 7th, and 8th generation platforms. This could be for many reasons, 1. This console generation has lasted so long 2. Games are getting better 3. Reviewers are going easier on games 4. The reviewing scale is bunk. Take your pick.

I drafted up this spreadsheet based on RPGs rated 80+ on Gamerankings.com. I know you can't always judge a game based on its aggregate score, but currently there is no other easy alternative. That being said this may not include those cult hits which fly under the radar like Nier, and include subjective duds like Dragon Age 2.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...kQ1M1p2WmVaRVE

I did not include PC games because the PC is an ever evolving platform. I guess I could have done it by date but whatever.

As you can see 7th Gen has 63 and 6th has 53. Though the 7th gen list may be inflated a bit by those games ranked between 80% and 85%. Also I included remakes of older games as part of the generation they were released in which also inflate some of the numbers. When you remove both 6th and 7th gen seem to be about dead even. All generations seem to have the same number of 90+ games so take that how you will.