Thread: Feature - Fantastical Worlds

Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff Nyx's Avatar

Feature - Fantastical Worlds

In a world where fantastic worlds are imagined, one website dared to dream. And in this dream, they created role-playing games from literature. These are their creations. Now, with only days remaining until one world takes the stage, they must choose between new worlds and old ones. Starring Sam Marchello as "The Author."

“Whenever you think or you believe or you know, you're a lot of other people: but the moment you feel, you're nobody-but-yourself.”
    ― E.E. Cummings

The Ringworld books did receive two adventure games back in the early 90s by a company called Tsunami Media Inc.: Ringworld: Rise of the Patriarch and Return to Ringworld. They were good for their day, quite fun.

http://www.mobygames.com/game-group/ringworld-series

i know that this series is kind of ridiculous, but ive often thought it would be fun to play a good version of the dresden files rpg (books written by jim butcher). I know butchers novels are basic paperback guilty pleasure reads that are best purchased in an airport, but i can honestly say that ive really enjoyed a couple of the earlier ones. I love noir detective stories, and when they can be combined with fantasy I get tingly all over lol. anyway, great article, thanks!
    Now Playing: Final Fantasy 13-2, Xenosaga 2, Wild Arms 2, Zelda Twilight Princess

News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff Severin Mira's Avatar
    I'm a fan of Jim Butcher, although did get a bit tired of the Dresden Files after the sixth or seventh book. The Codex Alera ones would be cool to do too (probably prefer that series myself).
    "My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving universes."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU), severin-US (US) | NNID: severinmira | Skype: severinmk
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevirain Kristinger (Leviathan)

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff GaijinMonogatari's Avatar
    I'm pretty sure the only reason Fowl DIDN'T write about the Dresden series is because it has its own pen and paper RPG.

Peter F Hamilitons Nights Dawn Trilogy. Neural nanonics are a ready made "world chat" device, possession is a clear analogy to avatar use. Add in 3 clearly distinct factions (edenist, adamist and the possessed) and you a great fit for a compelling MMO...

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Nekobasu's Avatar
    Haruki Murakami and Shigesato Itoi present Mother Again.

Good choice on Abarat!

Woah, wordy feature. I think I'll save this one for the weekend.

Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff Nyx's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nekobasu View Post

Good choice on Abarat!
    I would be all over that. HELLS YEAH.

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff GaijinMonogatari's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nekobasu View Post

Good choice on Abarat!
    I would definitely buy Mother Again if it actually existed.

As for Abarat, I'm kind of surprised that Ghibli hasn't tried to get the rights to that series. It's got the spunky heroine and baroque imagery that that studio usually loves to work with.