Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RPGCast - Episode 221: "Reggie Can You Sign This Podcast?"

Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflict Administrator sabin1001's Avatar

RPGCast - Episode 221: "Reggie Can You Sign This Podcast?"

RPGCast - Episode 221: "Reggie Can You Sign This Podcast?"

We take marketing lessons from Satoru Iwata. Then we learn about what properties will make a great MMO from Zenimax. Finally we get psychological help from Shawn Cooper. You'll never find a better source for business and life advice than the good old RPG Cast.

You can find the links to all our stories on delicious: http://delicious.com/rpgamer/221

RPGCast streams live, sometimes on Friday at 10 PM Eastern / 7 PM Pacific, usually on Saturday at Noon Eastern / 9 AM Pacific.

Leave your feedback in the following ways!
    Post in this thread.
    Email us at podcast@rpgamer.com
    Leave us a voicemail at (608) 729-4098
    Email us an mp3 or m4a voicemail at podcast@rpgamer.com

Download the show: "Reggie Can You Sign This Podcast?"
    Subscribe to the feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/Rpgcast
    Subscribe in iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...t?id=264306390
    Subscribe your Zune: Zune Player Link

The lovely nurse Member FreakGirl's Avatar
    @Chris: Just started listening to your podcast and have to make one thing clear. I am female
    Currently playing: Diablo III, Max Payne 3, many XBLA games

GamerTag: FreakGirl
    PSN: Freakgirl1985

May I suggest that Sam threaten the person making the "May the 4th" jokes with the Revenge of the 5th?
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups

Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff Nyx's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaymin View Post
    May I suggest that Sam threaten the person making the "May the 4th" jokes with the Revenge of the 5th?
    I don't even remember who I threatened. I'm a cranky old lady, so I can only assume those "May the 4th Be With You" revolve around my darling, adorable, dorky, Star Wars loving Fowl Sorcerous. See? I can be flattering and sweet!

I didn't learn anything! MasterChief's Avatar
    This is the part where I remind everyone that The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind came out on the original Xbox, in both normal and Game of the Year versions. It was the game that introduced me to TES, actually.

Skyrim came out on November 11th, 2011, while Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 came out on November 8th of that year.

"What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff 7thCircle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterChief View Post
    This is the part where I remind everyone that The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind came out on the original Xbox, in both normal and Game of the Year versions. It was the game that introduced me to TES, actually.

Skyrim came out on November 11th, 2011, while Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 came out on November 8th of that year.
    You also like listening to them botch common knowledge about WRPGs, then go into a WRPG v JRPG analysis like they know what they're talking about? I was shocked no one on the cast knew to correct this. Morrowind famously came out on the Xbox back when Microsoft was tossing cash at developers to get the new console off the ground. Bethesda and BioWare were paid to release games on the Xbox instead of just the PC like usual.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.

Hey, I admit straight up I'm the JRPG girl. Don't expect me to know this crazy TES trivia!

Quote Originally Posted by 7thCircle View Post
    You also like listening to them botch common knowledge about WRPGs, then go into a WRPG v JRPG analysis like they know what they're talking about? I was shocked no one on the cast knew to correct this. Morrowind famously came out on the Xbox back when Microsoft was tossing cash at developers to get the new console off the ground. Bethesda and BioWare were paid to release games on the Xbox instead of just the PC like usual.
    Every time I forget why I love you quite so much, Glenn, you always find a way to remind me.
    Mario Kart 8 Review - Latest Proto article

Common knowledge, indeed. If you mean 'publicly available on Wikipedia'--yes. If you mean, 'something most gamers know', then no. Most people don't even know the release dates for their favourite games, let alone for things they have no interest in and never play. I have frequently declared that I do not play WRPGs because they don't interest me. I can hardly be expected to correct people on something like the release date for such a game.

But all that aside: one can legitimately discuss (and even criticise!) a genre without needing to know a raft of arcane details about release dates and launch systems, for those details are not a necessary element of what differentiates the genre itself from other genres. Mass Effect 3 the WRPG is still Mass Effect 3 the WRPG whether it launched on the PS3 alone, on everything under the sun, or just on the PC.
    Last edited by Lusipurr; 05-07-2012 at 03:01 PM.
    ~Lusipurr
    President & Editor-in-Chief, Lusipurr.com

Lusipurr always makes podcasts better!

Edit - Calling Jim Sterling a game journalist is being generous.
    Last edited by Oyashiro; 05-07-2012 at 03:52 PM.
    Give me Underboob, or give me death!

"As a gaming enthusiast, people who carry a pro-hacker flag for selfish self-entitled reasons and willfully ignore the damage that rampant piracy does to developers as well as hardware producers don't deserve to enjoy the games and systems that these companies have poured their souls into to produce."

"A late game is only late until it ships. A bad game is bad until the end of time." ~ David Jaffe

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff 7thCircle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lusipurr View Post
    Common knowledge, indeed. If you mean 'publicly available on Wikipedia'--yes. If you mean, 'something most gamers know', then no.
    It is common knowledge that most gamers know. In this case it would be like a FPS-focused podcast not knowing that Halo came out on the Xbox, then discussing what had better first person shooters, the PS2 or the Xbox, with TimeSplitters being raved about.
    Last edited by 7thCircle; 05-07-2012 at 08:49 PM.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.

It is common knowledge that most gamers know. In this case it would be like a FPS-focused podcast not knowing that Halo came out on the Xbox, then discussing what had better first person shooters, the PS2 or the Xbox, with TimeSplitters being raved about.
    Pretty much, especially given that TES III didn't exactly do poorly on Xbox. The problem is that this isn't so much an RPG podcast that has a lack of knowledge as it is a JRPG podcast masquerading as a general RPG podcast, in much the same way that this is mostly a JRPG site masquerading as a general RPG site. I really wish they'd drop the pretense, because listening to the ignorance in that discussion was a huge derailment. The irony of the subsequent Kat Bailey bashing was, however, quite delicious. Goes well with BBQ sauce.

I will, however, say that I was deeply offended by Chris and Lusipurr's assertion that WRPGs appeal to the "Call of Duty audience," not because I don't enjoy Call of Duty, but because everyone with a brain knows full well what they meant. I honestly expect more than base, Gamespot-forum-level insults from people here.
    Last edited by MasterChief; 05-07-2012 at 11:14 PM.

I thought the Kat Bailey name calling/bashing, was in incredibly bad taste. I almost switched off. It was made worse by the fact that Sam got quite publicly upset a while back at being referred to (in what was actually a badly handled bit of fun) as moo cow. So to then name call someone not there to defend themselves was unprofessional in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Retrovertigo View Post
    I thought the Kat Bailey name calling/bashing, was in incredibly bad taste. I almost switched off. It was made worse by the fact that Sam got quite publicly upset a while back at being referred to (in what was actually a badly handled bit of fun) as moo cow. So to then name call someone not there to defend themselves was unprofessional in my opinion.
    OK, I'm gonna come in and defend Sam on that, she had asked them on many occasions to stop calling her the name, and the rest of the podcast failed to do so. While I wouldn't have gone as far as to call Kat a "pair of tits," her lack of general knowledge about anything outside of FF and Atlus is well documented, and fair game to be criticized and/or mocked. Again, my only issue was that it immediately followed a clear and utter lack of knowledge on their own part. Kat can sit in a corner and swirl, for all I care: her reputation is earned.

- Fancy Title - RPGamer Staff risingsun's Avatar
    Listen, I'm not faking anything. I am not a JRPG fan pretending to like western games, I play these games because I like them and I follow their development because I'm a fan.

Also, about the Morrowind thing. I was specifically talking about the current gen of consoles. I was also referring to the fact that Oblivion came out on the 360 during a time where there weren't many games on the platform, yet everyone was craving the next big hit. Oblivion filled that gap nicely for a few months and reached new gamers that might have other wise overlooked a title like that. In the early days of the 360, gamers collectively moved from big hit to hit and Oblivion was that big hit for a while.

Recently, I have been listening to some back catalog podcasts from 2006/2007, mainly CGW/GFW Radio and 1up Yours, and even back then everyone was surprised at how everyone on their friends lists was playing Oblivion. Even people they never expected to try it out. I was also talking about how that new audience that Bethesda reached with Oblivion, followed them to Fallout 3, and then skyrim.

I didn't mean to imply that Oblivion was the first time console gamers were exposed to the elder scrolls, but simply that Oblivion hit big and outside of the traditional RPG audience and it had a big impact on the shifting tastes of todays gamers and reviewers.
    Last edited by risingsun; 05-08-2012 at 03:09 AM.

OK, I'm gonna come in and defend Sam on that, she had asked them on many occasions to stop calling her the name, and the rest of the podcast failed to do so. While I wouldn't have gone as far as to call Kat a "pair of tits," her lack of general knowledge about anything outside of FF and Atlus is well documented, and fair game to be criticized and/or mocked. Again, my only issue was that it immediately followed a clear and utter lack of knowledge on their own part. Kat can sit in a corner and swirl, for all I care: her reputation is earned.
    Well I guess its obvious I'm someone who enjoys Kat's podcasts. And to be honest, they make for easy listening when she isn't constantly going silent because she is fannying around with an iPad, playing WOW or trying some demo or other on Xbox Live

edit: I think Sam asking them to stop is besides the point. She was hurt at she was called. Knowing its hurtful she shouldn't then dish it out to others. There is mocking, and then there is being plain rude.

She had a bit of a rant about Third Birthday and how it was derogatory to women - in her opinion. Then goes on to refer to woman as a pair of tits....
    Last edited by Retrovertigo; 05-08-2012 at 03:21 AM.

While I wouldn't have gone as far as to call Kat a "pair of tits," her lack of general knowledge about anything outside of FF and Atlus is well documented
    Well, at least she played all the JRPGs worth playing then.

Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff Nyx's Avatar
    It probably was in poor taste of me to bash Kat Bailey, but at the same time I have a huge problem with people seeming to think she's the beacon of RPG knowledge. She's not, there's plenty of other writers out there who I feel do twenty times the better job than her. It doesn't help that she doesn't proofread half the stuff she writes, gets tons of information wrong because she doesn't do proper research, gets caught playing an hour of a game and then reviewing it, etc. How do you respect someone who has proven time and time again that she doesn't care about the work she produces? That was why I wanted that discussion to stop. Back when I first started I use to talk to Kat and she was always rude to me, so there's also a personal dislike in that regard. She's not a nice person to her fans or to anyone really, and that to me is in poor taste as is.

I'm pretty sure I didn't call her a "pair of tits," but if you all feel I did do that, yeah that was uncalled for and I apologize for that. I think by that point I was frustrated enough that I wanted that discussion to be over with. Still it was uncalled for, as I'm sure I wouldn't like it if I was called that.

And yes, Anna was the one who called Kat a "pair of tits," not Sam. Regardless, this whole discussion seemed to go in a bad direction, despite the fact you tried to keep it in a good one. Shame really, it just seemed to fall out of control.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

Have towel will travel Member shoptroll's Avatar
    much the same way that this is mostly a JRPG site masquerading as a general RPG site
    While the site has its roots in Square.net I believe if you look at the news/reviews it's pretty much 50-50 if not leaning more Western these days due to overall shift in the market. I can't speak for the podcast, but I thought the running gag a back in the day was that it was a WoW podcast masquerading as a RPG podcast?

Also, it's OK for podcast hosts to get their facts wrong, and it happens on a lot of the bigger 'casts frequently enough. It's not the end of the world when it happens.

Do we need almost an entire comments thread dominated by this one topic? No wonder I've stopped reading this site on a regular basis...
    Last edited by shoptroll; 05-08-2012 at 07:22 AM.
    So long & thanks for all the fish!