Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Third Penny Arcade Opens in July

News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff Severin Mira's Avatar

Third Penny Arcade Opens in July

Penny Arcade is ready to welcome RPGamers once again this July. We think the exterminators got everything this time, but there may be a few small birds still around.

[ Don't go into Power Dome A ]
    "My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving universes."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU), severin-US (US) | NNID: severinmira | Skype: severinmk
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevirain Kristinger (Leviathan)

Cool. Looks like a slight variation of Grandia's action bar there. Glad I have 400 MS points sitting around waiting to be used.

Zeboyd, if you're around...did Penny Arcade write the dialogue or will we get something more akin to Breath/Cthulhu? And what are we expecting in terms of gameplay? Any changes to the Zeboyd RPG formula?
    Last edited by TG Barighm; 06-01-2012 at 02:01 PM.

Stoked to play this next week.

Slightly sad that it won't be going to PS3/Vita, but I guess it's just another Steam game that I'll never manage to finish. Maybe I'll actually get BOD7 done eventually...

Quote Originally Posted by TG Barighm View Post
    Zeboyd, if you're around...did Penny Arcade write the dialogue or will we get something more akin to Breath/Cthulhu?
    Both. I wrote some of it, Jerry Holkins of Penny Arcade wrote some of it, and we edited each other's work. I'm really pleased with how it turned out - I think it's extremely funny.

And what are we expecting in terms of gameplay? Any changes to the Zeboyd RPG formula?
    Oh yes. The big changes are:

No random encounters. All battles can be seen on the map.
    Class progression system. Each character has one class that is unique to them and up to 2 additional class slots that they can equip other classes (13 to choose from), each with its own abilities, stat bonuses, and passive abilities.
    New MP system. Characters start at 0 MP at the beginning of battle and gain 1 MP each turn.
    New item system. 6 different items to use and they recharge at the beginning of each battle. Items can be upgraded (both power & how many times you can use them per battle).
    Time bar complete with Grandia style interrupt abilities that let you push enemies back (more effective if you time it when they're at the very end).
    1 Weapon slot and 1 accessory slot for each character. Weapons are character-specific; accessories can be used by anyone.
    Some battles have special conditions (like boosting the effectiveness of a certain element or giving you a bunch of MP at the start of a battle but preventing you from regenerating MP each turn).

I think those are all the main gameplay changes.
    Check out our new XBox 360 Indie RPG, Cthulhu Saves the World, at http://zeboyd.com or follow us on twitter (username: werezompire) for the latest news.

News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff Severin Mira's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TG Barighm View Post
    Zeboyd, if you're around...did Penny Arcade write the dialogue or will we get something more akin to Breath/Cthulhu?
    Pretty sure Tycho's been heavily involved in the writing. Can't say to exactly what extent though. edit - nm Zeboyd was here
    "My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving universes."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU), severin-US (US) | NNID: severinmira | Skype: severinmk
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevirain Kristinger (Leviathan)

New Member Member bill_at_zeboyd's Avatar
    Hola. Yes, the time bar was inspired by Grandia

The dialogue for Rainslick3 was written by Jerry Holkins, but the way the story was implemented was a collaborative effort between Jerry and Robert (Boyd). So there's definitely some Zeboyd influence on the humor, but this is definitely a Penny Arcade story and writing. Honestly, and I think Robert will agree, I think the story is better than our previous games as a result! A lot of good ideas bouncing back and forth between 2 funny guys, you know.

The gameplay has changed in numerous ways from Breath and CSTW, because we wanted something fresh from our previous gameplay style. The concept of keeping the pace of the game quick and interesting things happening in a fairly quick succession is still there of course. However, we have removed random encounters, and have now placed visible enemies on-map for battle encounters. The battles themselves are still fast paced, but since we were able to plot each encounter location, we were able to design every battle in the game specifically, resulting in a lot of unique and much more interesting battles than in CSTW or Breath. As far as other mechanics go, we have employed a Class system in this, which allows each character (which has a base class) to be able to equip 2 additional Classes. This lets players mix and match classes of all types to fit their own play style, and for adjusting different strategies. Our item and MP systems are also different here in the sense that you start with 0 MP and it increases each turn, letting you use spells/abilities as you like or choose to "save up" for more powerful attacks later in the battle. Items are based on # of uses that replenish after every battle, and the # of uses can be upgraded. We also have an interrupt system akin to interruptions in Grandia, allowing you to set back certain enemies from attacking, among other things.

Anyway, I'm pretty excited to be so close to finishing; we are at the polishing/playtesting/bug testing phase right now and we're working hard to make it our best game so far, which I feel that it is

edit: beat'd so hard!

Also, it's a July release date (some people on twitter have been misreading the announcement as June).

Please tell me there's fruit ****ers.

Quote Originally Posted by Paws View Post
    Please tell me there's fruit ****ers.
    Not in a big role, but there are two versions of them in the first dungeon (and they're actually in the first battle of the game). Of course, since we're trying to keep the language relatively clean, they're listed by their model numbers - FF-2020Ti and FF-2030GT - and not their full name.
    Check out our new XBox 360 Indie RPG, Cthulhu Saves the World, at http://zeboyd.com or follow us on twitter (username: werezompire) for the latest news.

Definitely purchasing this as soon as it's out, it looks fantastic.

totally sold on this as soon as I revive my compy (and, of course, when it's actually released). Sounds pretty awesome to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeboyd Games View Post
    Not in a big role, but there are two versions of them in the first dungeon (and they're actually in the first battle of the game). Of course, since we're trying to keep the language relatively clean, they're listed by their model numbers - FF-2020Ti and FF-2030GT - and not their full name.
    Ingenious.

Time bar complete with Grandia style interrupt abilities that let you push enemies back (more effective if you time it when they're at the very end).
    Of all the battle systems you could have ripped off, you chose the best. Well played, sir.

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    You guys are releasing this on July 10th!? GREATEST BIRTHDAY PRESENT EVER!
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.

I will grab this on Steam for sure, and I'll buy it again if it ever hits PSN.

i bought the first two on steam last night on the cheap so i can be totally ready for this one!

Oh, but as this is the kind of thing I like to have around to mix it up from the standard melodrama of the rpg genre (a good healthy sense of humour that is), I have to wonder if there are plans for any more games in the PA series, or if you guys might work together again on something new? (directed at mr. boyd, obviously).

Are the battles "basically real time" like in Grandia (only stopping at menus)? Because otherwise I'd rather say the battle system is like in Atelier Iris Grand Phantasm than Grandia.

Also, I didn't really like the other Penny Arcade games, but this one interests me. I hope it's fine to play it without knowing what happened beforehand.

Quote Originally Posted by lolwhoops View Post
    i bought the first two on steam last night on the cheap so i can be totally ready for this one!

Oh, but as this is the kind of thing I like to have around to mix it up from the standard melodrama of the rpg genre (a good healthy sense of humour that is), I have to wonder if there are plans for any more games in the PA series, or if you guys might work together again on something new? (directed at mr. boyd, obviously).
    They've already confirmed Episode 4 with Zeboyd, I believe.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

New Member Member bill_at_zeboyd's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lolwhoops View Post
    I have to wonder if there are plans for any more games in the PA series, or if you guys might work together again on something new? (directed at mr. boyd, obviously).
    We've announced that we'll be doing the 4th and final chapter of the Rainslick series with Penny Arcade.

Quote Originally Posted by Rya.Reisender View Post
    Are the battles "basically real time" like in Grandia (only stopping at menus)? Because otherwise I'd rather say the battle system is like in Atelier Iris Grand Phantasm than Grandia.

Also, I didn't really like the other Penny Arcade games, but this one interests me. I hope it's fine to play it without knowing what happened beforehand.
    The battles are real time, stopping at menus, yes; which is really why the time bar is helpful, seeing where enemies are, when they'll attack, and so forth. It also makes interrupting their attacks and casting time-based spells more interesting.

As far as going into Rainslick3 without having played the first two, the story's been written so that you can jump right into the series with the third one. We've also included some things in the beginning of the game that you can optionally check out to gain a little more info on the previous two games' stories as well, if you're curious but don't feel like playing through RS1 and 2 to begin with this one.

Okay, thank you for the info. :-)