Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Square Enix Wows With Final Fantasy Tech Demo

Square Enix Wows With Final Fantasy Tech Demo

While this isn't a new game announcement, this tech demo shows what could one day be a Final Fantasy game. Of course, that day might be in 2023.

Story
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

Since I was apparently 20 seconds late on this post, I'm gonna copy my post on another thread over if you don't mind.

10/10 awesome. Too bad it's probably just Square showing off the tech and not realistically considering whether to go forward with it as a title.
    A critic is someone who stands on the mountaintop high above to watch a battle, and then comes down to shoot the survivors.
    -Hemingway

AAAAA! Jump cuts & shakey-cam. Hard to see much of what's going on, for large portions of it. (Of course, that's not the fault of the tech, just the people using it.)

ART TEAM WE NEED NEW VIDEO. NO RULES EXCEPT EVERYTHING MUST CLASH WITH EVERYTHING ELSE.

Although at least they were up front about how the game isn't actually going to be released this time.

Impressive tech, but I could hardly see any details of the art they spent so much time on because of shaky cam and quick cut aways. I hope whomever directed that isn't working on any Square titles.
    Vanillaware’s 2D is, once again, shaming their competitor’s 3D. It’s like, what are you even doing with your extra D, jerks? Maybe we should hold that extra D in reserve for you, like a trust, until you are ready. - Tycho, Penny Arcade

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    That was impressive. I also like what I see in the way of the return to the ways of FF7 in that demo (in terms of areas)
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.

I liked it quite a bit. I also happened to like the shaky camera.

Please help my city grow. Estharopolis - Population | Industry | Transportation | Security | Environment | Business

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    I would have preferred less shaky cam, but I loved the setting.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Prod with the Prod The Doomhammer's Avatar
    I guess I'd be more impressed if they made an actual sequence of gameplay with this amount of detail in it instead of a cinematic.

also I'm disappointed because for a while I thought the Arabian looking guys were going to be the good guys but I guess it was the white people after all something something can of worms.

The setting looks intriguing and the quality of the cinematic is great.

But what's with all the shakey cam and quick cuts? It looks like it was directed by Michael Bay

I didn't learn anything! MasterChief's Avatar
    Yeah, real-time tech demo. SE still hasn't made anything at the graphical quality of the PS3 tech demo this gen, so you'll have to forgive my cynicism. Of course, I've seen more than my fair share of BS tech demos....

Quote Originally Posted by The Doomhammer View Post
    I guess I'd be more impressed if they made an actual sequence of gameplay with this amount of detail in it instead of a cinematic.

also I'm disappointed because for a while I thought the Arabian looking guys were going to be the good guys but I guess it was the white people after all something something can of worms.
    That rubbed me wrong too. You can tell what they were going for with those guys... Not just the turbans, but the TOTALLY NOT AK-47 rifles that were totally AK-47s.

"What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    The saving grace here is that it's from Square Enix, so the guys you think are the bad guys could very well actually be the good guys.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

half-joking: Again SE wows us with more graphics and forgets to show anything remotely resembling gameplay. Oh it be awesome just because it looks awesome....
    FFXI Character name: Shadowneko Server: Quetzalcoatl Main Jobs: lvl 76 THF, lvl 95 Summoner, lvl 39 Dragoon

My VAPS Entry,

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    half-joking: Again SE wows us with more graphics and forgets to show anything remotely resembling gameplay. Oh it be awesome just because it looks awesome....
    Psst, it's a tech demo. You know...
    A tech demo (technology demonstration) is a prototype, rough example or an otherwise incomplete version of a product, put together with the primary purpose of showcasing the idea, performance, method or the features of the product.
    that. They don't need to show gameplay if it's a tech demo, as it's just showing something off more than anything. Sorta like with that FF7 tech demo they did a few years back.

EDIT: Just in case I misinterpreted which part you were joking about, okay?
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.

It was a very impressive tech demo. Hopefully these types of games will get here just in time for my grandchildren to enjoy them.
    “Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen.”
    -Einstein

Also hated the shaky cam. It was tough to get a handle on "good guys vs. bad guys" - there were villain tropes all around. Showed promise, though maybe a little *too* "gritty and realistic" for me.

Prediction. This will actually be Final Fantasy XVII and will still be released before Versus.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

Quote Originally Posted by DarkRPGMaster View Post
    EDIT: Just in case I misinterpreted which part you were joking about, okay?
    Kinda being cynical and a bit satirical at the same time. I knew it was a tech demo but seriously: SE keeps forgetting about the gameplay in alot of their new games in favor of eye candy...there are exceptions to the the rule but things keep going more and more twords that. (joking abit again: Pretty soon we'll have a game by them that's noting but quicktime events!)
    FFXI Character name: Shadowneko Server: Quetzalcoatl Main Jobs: lvl 76 THF, lvl 95 Summoner, lvl 39 Dragoon

My VAPS Entry,

Have you played The Bouncer?

Banned Banned
    How much of a giant budget will it take to make an rpg, like that?