Thread: Shadowdawn: Genesis Video Impression and Interview - E3 2012

Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff Nyx's Avatar

Shadowdawn: Genesis Video Impression and Interview - E3 2012

Shadowdawn: Genesis is an upcoming indie RPG being developed by a well-loved RPGamer reader. Check out our early video preview of the game, as well as an interview with developer, Fox English.

Story

At first glance I thought someone did a retro review of Shadowrun for the Genesis.

The game looks good! I'll be looking forward to the PC release.
    Give me Underboob, or give me death!

"As a gaming enthusiast, people who carry a pro-hacker flag for selfish self-entitled reasons and willfully ignore the damage that rampant piracy does to developers as well as hardware producers don't deserve to enjoy the games and systems that these companies have poured their souls into to produce."

"A late game is only late until it ships. A bad game is bad until the end of time." ~ David Jaffe

Thanks again for the interview, especially right during the height of E3 craziness!
    http://www.shadowdawngenesis.com - follow progress on the upcoming RPG series Shadowdawn on Xbox Live Indie Games and PC (and wherever else we can take it)

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Wheels's Avatar
    Looks really cool, looking forward to seeing more!

It looks really polished, even compared to most professionally developed games... coupled with a nice look and a lot of thought behind it. Definitely will keep an eye on it.

I've no idea about the alchemy system in Ultima 7. But you make it sound like a mini-game interface which will either be pointless easy & time consuming, or require timing and skill to make superiour quality items.

In both cases I personally would prefer to also have a completed recipe list, which automatically completes the item for you (skipping the process of remaking old items). But that probably turns it back into menu-based alchemy again.

Quote Originally Posted by silktail View Post
    I've no idea about the alchemy system in Ultima 7. But you make it sound like a mini-game interface which will either be pointless easy & time consuming, or require timing and skill to make superiour quality items.

In both cases I personally would prefer to also have a completed recipe list, which automatically completes the item for you (skipping the process of remaking old items). But that probably turns it back into menu-based alchemy again.
    Ultima VII was an unusual game in that it was almost completely interfaceless. There was no mini-game, it was all integrated in how the whole game and items worked, you pretty much double-clicked EVERYTHING to use them - for example, if you had a bag of flour, you could double-click it and then a targeting reticule would appear, which let you open the flour and dump it wherever you targeted it. With a big pile of flour on the ground or table, you could then double-click a bucket of water, target the flour, and you'd get a ball of dough. (If you didn't target the flour, you'd just dump water on whatever you clicked instead, even if it was just the ground). Basically it was an entire game of interaction and experimenting what worked on what, and most of it was fairly logical.

That said, if I went that sort of route as the engine is already capable of it (where you could basically craft things anywhere or anyplace and cook other items if you found a stove/forge/pool of water/etc) I think it'd just be skill/practice-based to produce better quality food/items. Also maybe the more you do it, you are given an option to increase quantity (in the case of food). Like you suggest in your second thought, it could be pretty easy to have a combination of both this style and menus once you learn/uncover a recipe on your own, you can automate it with the menu option to reduce tedium.

Thanks all for the encouraging comments Definitely want this game to be fun above all else, so I'm doing everything I can to that end.
    http://www.shadowdawngenesis.com - follow progress on the upcoming RPG series Shadowdawn on Xbox Live Indie Games and PC (and wherever else we can take it)