Thread: RPGCast - Episode 226: "FPSGamer"

Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflict Administrator sabin1001's Avatar

RPGCast - Episode 226: "FPSGamer"

RPGCast - Episode 226: "FPSGamer"

In order to validate our E3 experience, we'll be changing the site's name. Okay, not really. But it does seem like we were a bit light on RPGs at E3 this year. We'll cover what we liked and what little news has come forth since in this week's show.

You can find the links to all our stories on delicious: http://delicious.com/rpgamer/226

RPGCast streams live, sometimes on Friday at 10 PM Eastern / 7 PM Pacific, usually on Saturday at Noon Eastern / 9 AM Pacific.

Leave your feedback in the following ways!
    Post in this thread.
    Email us at podcast@rpgamer.com
    Leave us a voicemail at (608) 729-4098
    Email us an mp3 or m4a voicemail at podcast@rpgamer.com

Download the show: "FPSGamer"
    Subscribe to the feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/Rpgcast
    Subscribe in iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...t?id=264306390
    Subscribe your Zune: Zune Player Link

After Other M, I can't see Metroid being a "big 3" franchise for Nintendo anymore. The big three for Nintendo now is casual stuff, Mario and Pokemon, all of which have 2 entries this year to get back to making money.

The AA-sellers (Zelda, Metroid, and Kirby quite frankly) will come next E3 once there's an install base to justify it.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups

Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff Nyx's Avatar
    Chris, there are the zombie dragons and Bloodbane in Valkyrie Profile. There wasn't any other ones sadly (at least to my knowledge).

Also my favourite dragon is the Dragon of Dojima. See what I did there?

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Wheels's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaymin View Post
    After Other M, I can't see Metroid being a "big 3" franchise for Nintendo anymore. The big three for Nintendo now is casual stuff, Mario and Pokemon, all of which have 2 entries this year to get back to making money.

The AA-sellers (Zelda, Metroid, and Kirby quite frankly) will come next E3 once there's an install base to justify it.
    How is Zelda a "AA-Seller"? The games routinely sell in the millions.

2D Mario, Pokemon and the casuals sell 10 million+ routinely, though. I don't think a Zelda game has made that number since Ocarina of Time (maybe Twilight Princess since it had the bump of being a Wii launch game).
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups

Dread News Editor RPGamer Staff Fowl Sorcerous's Avatar
    i would like to remind you all that phrase 'aaa title' is a meaningless buzzword made up by the games media and getting hung up on exactly how many A's your franchise of choice rates just below my 'game rankings as colours and shapes' malarkey.

That Guy You Hate RPGamer Staff omegabyte's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaymin View Post
    2D Mario, Pokemon and the casuals sell 10 million+ routinely, though. I don't think a Zelda game has made that number since Ocarina of Time (maybe Twilight Princess since it had the bump of being a Wii launch game).
    Do you know how many non-Nintendo properties sell those numbers EVER? You've got Call of Duty and Blizzard's stuff. That's about it.

So by your argument, there are only about ten AAA game franchises in existence. Oh, and Angry Birds is AAA too apparently.

AAA is generally defined by budget and hype-levels in the gamer community, not expected sales. There are lots of AAA titles that sell sub-1 million copies (and the franchise subsequently dies a horrible death)
    "It's okay to fail as long as you learn that you failed!" - Neptune, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
    Follow me on Twitter
    Read my serialized, comedy-fantasy web novel, The Almanac of All Things - http://www.thealmanac.ca - Read All of Part One Now!

I didn't learn anything! MasterChief's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fowl Sorcerous View Post
    i would like to remind you all that phrase 'aaa title' is a meaningless buzzword made up by the games media and getting hung up on exactly how many A's your franchise of choice rates just below my 'game rankings as colours and shapes' malarkey.
    This. I don't know about anyone else, but I never even heard this term before this generation, and would be so happy if it faded into existence. Honestly, considering how stupid the expectation of 10+ million for any one game is for 90% of the industry, I think we'd all agree the sooner the stupid graphical arms race that defines that buzzword, the better for everyone in the industry, with the possible exception of Epic Games.

"What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.