Thread: RPG Backtrack: Episode 74 - Night of the Demon

Code: Kirin RPGamer Staff JuMeSyn's Avatar

RPG Backtrack: Episode 74 - Night of the Demon

What would one's probable reaction to encountering a demon be? In a realistic scenario death would most likely occur, but in video games making friends with the occult is a frequent experience. Some kind of Armageddon awaits.
    Last edited by DarkRPGMaster; 06-21-2012 at 11:02 PM. Reason: URL was broken, and it was driving me nuts.
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

On the Trinity Universe thing... Having been burned twice before on Idea Factory/Compile Heart games, when Mugen Souls comes out I'm waiting for an RPGamer review of it and buying it only if it's 3.0 or higher... I used to get all NIS games at one point, but IF, and Hitmaker changed my mind, and I'm hazy on System Prisma games... Still grab every Gust and NIS Proper game.

I really need to go play Strange Journey at some point.

Angel-Possessed Priestess Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    Now that I recall, there is at least one major MegaTen game that wasn't released here in recent years (and likely won't be at this rate): the port of Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner on the PSP. I heard that Atlus USA wanted to release that game here, but Sony wouldn't let them due to it not being very different from its original PSX version. I have no idea how true this is.
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff jcservant's Avatar
    That's a shame. I'd like a Devil Summoner game on my PSP!!

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Wheels's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry Eggs View Post
    Now that I recall, there is at least one major MegaTen game that wasn't released here in recent years (and likely won't be at this rate): the port of Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner on the PSP. I heard that Atlus USA wanted to release that game here, but Sony wouldn't let them due to it not being very different from its original PSX version. I have no idea how true this is.
    It is probably very true because there's more stories about various other PSX to PSP ports being rejected

SMT Nocturne is my favorite RPG since Suikoden II. I like how it forces you to not get too attached to anything. Once the main character has 8 powers, if you want to learn a new one, you have to permanently remove an existing one. Also, nearly every dungeon you need to completely reform you party by fusing new demons. Instead of progressing the entire game, like most games, Nocturne requires a lot of destruction as well.

I haven't played Strange Journey yet. Well, I managed to get like 20 minutes into it, then I managed to break my DS. I'm probably going to wait for the new 3ds to be released before getting a replacement though. I do worry about the screen and the scaling issues, but DSs still command a significant price in the used market.

Did someone say "post apocalyptic games not based in a nuclear wasteland?"

Nocturne is my favourite game. There are more complex games, more challenging games, more polished games, better written games, better role-playing games, but none that have kept me as enthralled as I was with Nocturne when playing it for the first time. There's just something about the bizarre, alien atmosphere in this game that's absolutely memorizing, like the scene where you meet Gozu-Tennoh, or various battles with the Fiends, and the atmosphere is complimented by a level of challenge that's punishing enough to remind you that you're stranded a cold, uncaring universe. The entire JRPG genre is a festering pile of ****, but Nocturne is so good it can bear the Cross for the lot of them. The only modern game I've played that invoked the same kind of response I had to Nocturne is Dark Souls, which I'd probably have blasted through just as quickly if I had the same time and energy for video games that I used to.

I also liked the first two games quite a bit, which hold up quite well despite several archaisms. They both have the same kind of bleak-yet-irreverent atmosphere that Nocturne has, and I loved the "Occult Cyberpunk" motif that was sadly ditched somewhere around Souls Hackers. I never really managed to get into Strange Journey, due to the glacial dialogue scenes, "themed" dungeons and a combat system that was vastly inferior to press-turn. I might pick it back up one day, but it won't be any time soon.

Also, about the only person I'd be more enthusiastic to see working on a game's art design than Kazuma Kaneko is H.R Giger. It's a damn shame we still haven't gotten a game to show off his art in HD.
    Last edited by Drav; 06-27-2012 at 07:32 AM.

I enjoy the content, but whoever was slurping down food during the show really needs to stop that. It's super annoying. I understand if you have to eat during the show because of time constraints, but mics should be muted during that. It might just be my personal pet peeves but it's nearly bad enough that I stopped listening.

More on topic: I really enjoyed the Strange Journey discussion. It makes me want to pick the game back up. I think I stopped on the 3rd or 4th dungeon. Thanks for not spoiling the endings.
    Please Donate to RPGamer's Extra Life team!
    http://www.extra-life.org/participant/diceadmiral

Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff jcservant's Avatar
    Hmm...I usually listen out for odd noises and the such while I'm recording (and I myself don't eat while recording), but maybe I was afk during that time and couldn't play sound cop.