Thread: RPGCast - Episode 227: "Ducksiders"

Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflict Administrator sabin1001's Avatar

RPGCast - Episode 227: "Ducksiders"

RPGCast - Episode 227: "Ducksiders"

RPGamer does its best to come up with ideas to save THQ. Nintendo does its best to get you to buy a second copy of a console you already have. But not to be outdone, Square Enix does its best to get you to buy a 15 year old game, this time with microtransactions!

You can find the links to all our stories on delicious: http://delicious.com/rpgamer/227

RPGCast streams live, sometimes on Friday at 10 PM Eastern / 7 PM Pacific, usually on Saturday at Noon Eastern / 9 AM Pacific.

Leave your feedback in the following ways!
    Post in this thread.
    Email us at podcast@rpgamer.com
    Leave us a voicemail at (608) 729-4098
    Email us an mp3 or m4a voicemail at podcast@rpgamer.com

Download the show: "Ducksiders"
    Subscribe to the feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/Rpgcast
    Subscribe in iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...t?id=264306390
    Subscribe your Zune: Zune Player Link

- 3DSXL defense force checking in: As someone who has larger-than-average hands, I went to a DSiXL and now can't go back to the 3DS without feeling like I'm going to crush the thing. I was going to buy a second 3DS in 18-24 months for Pokemon purposes, now I know to get the bigger one.

- Final Fantasy VII coming to Steam: Guess that shoots down using the Jenova editor, huh? Even in offline mode? The main thing I played the PC version for was a working translation ("Angermax" vs "Ungermax"), and to cheat the crap out of it. Also, I demand the following achievements: AERITHDIEDLOL fillerspace for getting to the end of the old disc 1, and Sandwich Artist for successfully casting KotR 8 times in one fight.

- Although I'd buy the crap out of a Ducksiders season pass for DLC, I'm worried about Darksiders 2. I'm opposed to the concept of buying DLC and was planning on waiting until the GOTY version to hit WiiU. But if I don't buy it, THQ may not be around long enough to put out the GOTY edition. Help.

- Black/White use the DSi features (video chat), but they wouldn't need it for Conquest. Also, I don't think they've announced Europeans plans for Pokemon Conquest Quin, but since there's no region lock you can merrily import as soon as NOA gets their distribution *expletive* together.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups

Releaser of Heavy Metal LegendaryZoltan's Avatar
    A Xenogears HBO mini-series: The GREATEST IDEA EVER! Do it Chris!

Okami HD on PS3: Now I can FINALLY play Okami. It will be my first time and I'm excited.

Just play your backlog: The GREATEST IDEA EVER! Do it Manny!

Magic 2013: If there is no custom deck making, I don't need it. That's the ENTIRE REASON to play Magic.
    Like RPGs? Then you will like my RPG comedy show. Watch free RIGHT HERE!

FaceBook | Twitter | Website

I didn't learn anything! MasterChief's Avatar
    Rainbow Moon does indeed sound like a My Little Pony character, but it sounds even more like the work of some crazed My Little Pony shipper. The fact that Rainbow Dash and Luna (AKA Nightmare Moon) as a couple is absolutely ridiculous would do nothing to deter shippers. Kinda like PinkieShy. Gotta love shippers...

Here's a question - While I doubt they'll ever be at a point where they have to worry about their legions of fanboys, will Blizzard's reputation outside of the legion suffer given the neigh-constant issues with Diablo 3 (at least if the fact that it's always in the news for the wrong reasons gives me that impression o_O)? I imagine a lot of people were introduced to the company from WoW and proceeded to be surprised at how much of a cluster Diablo 3 has turned out to be.

For a Mass Effect movie/anime, I have only two words: Elcor Hamlet.

Upscaling PS2 is interesting. Yeah, just blowing it up on a super-huge TV is odd, but playing the games on an emulator like PCSX2 and expanding the internal resolution, the games are absolutely gorgeous.

Oh, regarding Growlanser's art. Satoshi Urushihara worked on the PS2 games, and his work is absolutely gorgeous.

Last edited by MasterChief; 06-24-2012 at 01:38 PM.

"What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.

Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflict Administrator sabin1001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LegendaryZoltan View Post
    Magic 2013: If there is no custom deck making, I don't need it. That's the ENTIRE REASON to play Magic.
    EVERY SINGLE video card game has this mechanic (where you choose cards in your deck). EVERY SINGLE GAME.

Any Lost Kingdoms game.
    Any Baten Kaitos game.
    The Kingdom Hearts card battle one.
    Neverland Card Battles.
    The Xenosaga game-within-a-game.

The Duels of the Planeswalkers series is designed as an entry point for the physical card game and Magic: The Gathering Online. Something tells me that custom deck building is omitted from these games as a means of driving this point home.

Me, I buy them so I can enjoy some MTG on the side when my housemates are busy with other card games.

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    Other card games? What other card games do you speak of? The only card game I know of is Magic the Gathering, at which I have created decks so powerful that they could topple pros should their true power be unlocked! An example:

Tamiyo's Emblem (which makes it so you have no maximum hand and can bring a card back to your hand instead of throwing it into the graveyard) plus Dreadwaters. Now spam Dreadwaters on an opponent, using all of your mana. You've just taken them out in a single turn odds are. Or instead keep Safe Passage on you. You can continually keep your entire side safe from damage for the rest of the game. Gamebreaking? OH HELL YES. The hard part is GETTING Tamiyo's Emblem out, since you need 5 turns for it to charge up and a 6th to pull out the emblem. Meaning any number of things could get her killed before then. But that's only one strategy in my deck. One of the other strategies is the 3 Gallows of Willow Hill in my deck. Look it up~
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.

The current cardgame of choice for people who aren't me is Cardfight! Vanguard, one of Bushiroad's efforts.

On the subject of combos: The Firemind is curious.

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

Ooo, I see a combo that can be expanded on. I'll have to look into that later~
    User Database Check

The one dirty infinite mana combo I have access to is two Myr Galvanizers, four mana producing Myr (Has to include at least two Silver Myr), and Memnarch. Easy to shut down, but if left alone, steals every card on the field, including lands.

Maybe we should have a card game discussion thread.

Ha, sounds like what my friend does with Olivia. I'm more fond of my own little trickery rather than brute strength strategy. I don't think I need to state what a proper Phyrexian Ingester and Venser combo can do. Especially since when a card is exiled and comes back, its ability kicks back in if it has a "When this enters the battlefield" type of effect.
    User Database Check

Yaaay, Magic Talk!
    ive got candy

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff 7thCircle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Quin View Post
    The one dirty infinite mana combo I have access to is two Myr Galvanizers, four mana producing Myr (Has to include at least two Silver Myr), and Memnarch. Easy to shut down, but if left alone, steals every card on the field, including lands.

Maybe we should have a card game discussion thread.
    The first decently competitive Type 2 deck I made used infinite mana + Memnarch to auto-win and was based on Pemmin's Aura and Wirewood Channeler. It was a green elf deck that just splashed blue for the mana combo, but I was new-ish to the game and needed to make commons and uncommons work.

It was too slow against Tooth and Nail decks once everyone at my local comic shop started using those. In hindsight it needed to drop the elf focus and add more blue.

Anyway, Memnarch has a special place in my heart as the first auto-win card I ever used in a competitive deck.
    Last edited by 7thCircle; 07-01-2012 at 10:39 PM.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.

I didn't learn anything! MasterChief's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sabin1001 View Post
    You know, I've seen the untranslated version of that video. Looking at it translated, I find it troubling how big a deal they make of the pizza never being touched by human hands.

"What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.