Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Phantasy Star Online 2 Launches In Japan

Phantasy Star Online 2 Launches In Japan

Phantasy Star Online 2 launches, unless you live outside Japan and/or can't read Japanese. That apathy you might be experiencing is a normal symptom of exposure to Sega's release schedules.

[NEWS]

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

Given how anti PSO/PSU this site is I wouldn't be surprised if I was the only one excited about this.
    Please Donate to RPGamer's Extra Life team!
    http://www.extra-life.org/participant/diceadmiral

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    No I'm excited too. My wallet, however...
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.

I'd love to get to play this.

@DarkRPGMaster
    Isn't it F2P? Your wallet will be safe.

I'm looking forward to it. Played PSO only offline because it was P2P and enjoyed it anyway. With PSO2 being F2P I can finally play online too. My main concern is: I like playing with a GamePad, PSO2 is for PC only, so I'm afraid they might have designed it for Mouse/Keyboard?

Quote Originally Posted by Rya.Reisender View Post
    @DarkRPGMaster
    Isn't it F2P? Your wallet will be safe.

I'm looking forward to it. Played PSO only offline because it was P2P and enjoyed it anyway. With PSO2 being F2P I can finally play online too. My main concern is: I like playing with a GamePad, PSO2 is for PC only, so I'm afraid they might have designed it for Mouse/Keyboard?
    Japanese client has support for gamepads, but I've got no clue how to set it up.

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

Familiar Face Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    I'm somewhat excited. I also played PSO (episodes I & II) offline, though I did play Phantasy Star Zero over wifi many times. Being free to play makes it more likely I'll give this game a try, but we'll see...
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

Quote Originally Posted by Glowing Hyren View Post
    Given how anti PSO/PSU this site is I wouldn't be surprised if I was the only one excited about this.
    Staff or readers? Many of us staff-wise adored PSO on the Dreamcast.

Quote Originally Posted by Paws View Post
    Buuuut, you don't have a separate forum for Sega games, but you have one for Square-Enix and from my impression most here are tending more to Nintendo style than Sega style games too (not me).

I'm failing to see your point. When the forums were made, SE was putting out essentially nothing but RPGs. SEGA has never been an RPG dominant company, and has consistently passed on localizing RPGs both recent and old. Moreover, the SE forum's days are numbered; the company's focus simply isn't FF-DQ any more, and discussion doesn't need to be corralled.

With that resolved, we can get back on topic.

Not only that, but the SE forums used to have a ton of traffic. Way more than any other forum.

I always wanted to try PSO, but the demo used a ton of gigs and I had very little memory at the time.

I had been playing the beta and liked it a lot, lots of cool stuff. So I'm excited about it and looking forward to playing more.

For the record, I've loved every incarnation of PSO (even PSU, although I got bored of that more quickly) and have spend hundreds of hours in all of them.

I hate the way Sega of America has historically treated its fanbase and how American players have always been second-class citizens compared to Japanese players.

My wife and I have been playing PSO2 in the beta and now in the release, and it's a lot of fun. I can read Japanese well enough to navigate through menus and figure out what items do, but I'm not quite up to understanding all of the dialogue. I'm kind of conflicted about hoping for an English release; I'd like to be able to read everything, but if there is an English release, I'm sure that SoA will treat its customers just as poorly as it always has.

Anyway, at least being F2P means that I don't have to spend money on it if I don't want to. The only thing I think is a bit unreasonable is that you have to buy the "Premium Set" (1300 yen/month) to be able to trade with other players at all -- which means that my wife and I are playing right next to each other but cannot trade or give each other items at all unless we're willing to pay >$30/month on it. Bleh.

Quote Originally Posted by Minneyar View Post
    Anyway, at least being F2P means that I don't have to spend money on it if I don't want to. The only thing I think is a bit unreasonable is that you have to buy the "Premium Set" (1300 yen/month) to be able to trade with other players at all -- which means that my wife and I are playing right next to each other but cannot trade or give each other items at all unless we're willing to pay >$30/month on it. Bleh.
    Sounds to me like the trap with Second Life. Sure you can play this game for free...but good luck getting anything done without paying money. To be honest, I absolutely DESPISE that sort of business model, as it's a slap to the face of players.
    User Database Check

Quote Originally Posted by Paws View Post
    I'm referring mainly to what I hear on the podcast. I rarely see much PSO love in the forums either, but I'm not really that active in the forums.
    Please Donate to RPGamer's Extra Life team!
    http://www.extra-life.org/participant/diceadmiral

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    Well, many of the primary written content-producing staff members for the site aren't on the podcast (or aren't regularly), so there's plenty of room for varying opinions on PSO... or any major series. Anyway, let's try to keep things on topic and make this about PSO 2 itself, not how the RPGamer staff feels or doesn't feel about it.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Quote Originally Posted by DarkRPGMaster View Post
    To be honest, I absolutely DESPISE that sort of business model, as it's a slap to the face of players.
    For what it's worth, overall the gameplay advantages you get for cash in PSO2 are pretty minor (there's a list here: http://bumped.org/psublog/pso2-jp-ac-content-742012/). The vast majority is stuff like extra storage, extra character slots, skill tree resets, and so on. You can still buy from player shops even if you don't pay to run your own. Being unable to trade is the one thing that really annoys me -- and I wouldn't mind as much if it was available on its own fairly cheaply, but no, you have to get the Premium Set to do it...

Quote Originally Posted by Glowing Hyren View Post
    I'm referring mainly to what I hear on the podcast. I rarely see much PSO love in the forums either, but I'm not really that active in the forums.
    That's because nobody brings up PSO. Too many fond memories, I guess...

Quote Originally Posted by Minneyar View Post
    For what it's worth, overall the gameplay advantages you get for cash in PSO2 are pretty minor (there's a list here: http://bumped.org/psublog/pso2-jp-ac-content-742012/). The vast majority is stuff like extra storage, extra character slots, skill tree resets, and so on. You can still buy from player shops even if you don't pay to run your own. Being unable to trade is the one thing that really annoys me -- and I wouldn't mind as much if it was available on its own fairly cheaply, but no, you have to get the Premium Set to do it...
    *whistles* Impressive balancing on that part. I'll SLIGHTLY forgive the trading problem then...but only slightly.
    User Database Check

I played PSO into the ground on Dreamcast & Gamecube.
    I would like to try this one.

Wait what, you can't trade without paying monthly? Okay that just killed the game for me.