Thread: RPGCast - Episode 229: "RPG Cast The Tie-In Novel"

Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflict Administrator sabin1001's Avatar

RPGCast - Episode 229: "RPG Cast The Tie-In Novel"

RPGCast - Episode 229: "RPG Cast The Tie-In Novel"

Phantasy Star Online 2 has a surprise...it's out! Persona 4 Arena has a surprise...it's region locked! Borderlands 2 has a surprise...free...crappy costumes?

You can find the links to all our stories on delicious: http://delicious.com/rpgamer/229

RPGCast streams live, sometimes on Friday at 10 PM Eastern / 7 PM Pacific, usually on Saturday at Noon Eastern / 9 AM Pacific.

Leave your feedback in the following ways!
    Post in this thread.
    Email us at podcast@rpgamer.com
    Leave us a voicemail at (608) 729-4098
    Email us an mp3 or m4a voicemail at podcast@rpgamer.com

Download the show: "RPG Cast The Tie-In Novel"
    Subscribe to the feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/Rpgcast
    Subscribe in iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...t?id=264306390
    Subscribe your Zune: Zune Player Link

Re: the region locking. It was spelled out. They don't want Japanese players buying it cheaper. It's price fixing - that is how gamers are missing out. How is that so hard to understand?

I'm just glad that they went with the region lock instead of the other option: Jack up the North American price to Japan levels. I've seen this happen with some anime series recently (Gundam Unicorn, for example).

I didn't learn anything! MasterChief's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SachielOne View Post
    I'm just glad that they went with the region lock instead of the other option: Jack up the North American price to Japan levels. I've seen this happen with some anime series recently (Gundam Unicorn, for example).
    That's rather part of why anime in the west has become less and less viable. People getting turned off when the deluge of crap hit in the early 2000s turned most non-Otaku away, but protectionism isn't doing anyone any favors.

Anyway, my thoughts are simple: Better not to include the Japanese audio. There's no release date at all for Australia from what I can find (though don't they share region with Europe for games? I dunno), and Europe still hasn't gotten a solid day, so clearly we're not seeing a worldwide release. This of course assumes it doesn't get delayed in Germany or something. >.> <.< As I said in my own topic on this issue over at Misc. Gaming, not having the Japanese audio affects a few butt-hurt otaku. Region locking affects millions of people. You're supposed to minimize damage, not maximize it.

Anyway, I have some questions for the RPGCast.

1) Why are some games given free passes for having a bad ending with "oh, more is on the way"? while others aren't? I remember when Halo 2 came out. Game got crucified for its atrocious ending by fans (as it rightly should have), even though we all knew Halo 3 would be coming out on MS's then next-generation platform. By contrast, it seems everyone is excusing Diablo 3's apparently bad ending, rationalizing that it'll be improved with expansions. What happened to expecting the game you bought to be satisfying the whole way through, regardless of its place in a series?

2) With the OUYA game console absurdly past its kickstarter goal, what is the potential for quality, substantial RPGs on a console that touts being "open," be it this console or another? Does an open-platform console (not PC) have any potential outside of being a sweet emulator/MMO box?

"What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.

Quia ego sic dico RPGamer Staff Severin Mira's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterChief View Post
    Anyway, my thoughts are simple: Better not to include the Japanese audio. There's no release date at all for Australia from what I can find (though don't they share region with Europe for games? I dunno), and Europe still hasn't gotten a solid day, so clearly we're not seeing a worldwide release. This of course assumes it doesn't get delayed in Germany or something. >.> <.< As I said in my own topic on this issue over at Misc. Gaming, not having the Japanese audio affects a few butt-hurt otaku. Region locking affects millions of people. You're supposed to minimize damage, not maximize it.
    Yeah, both are in the PAL region, although as I understand it Australia can often sees later release dates (if any). I know Europe currently has a planned August 31 release, although as you say it's not fully confirmed.

The only good thing about Gundam Unicorn being so expensive (40 for one hour) is that it might make some anime fans here realise how lucky the pricing is (even if it's released two or three years after the original Japan airdates), especially after seeing MangaUK taking flack for making any Blu-Rays they take the risk of producing "too expensive" (c. 30 for 13 episodes)
    "If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU), severin-US (US) | Skype: severinmk
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevirain Kristinger (Leviathan)

Thanks for the clarification there, Sev.

Hm, I went to beamdog.com just now, and it DOES use a client. At least according to their FAQ.

Just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in here about The Secret World, as you had a listener a week or 2 ago bashing the game after having only played it for about 15 minutes. Honestly, the game doesn't make a good first impression. The combat is underwhelming overall (it's not terrible, but it just doesn't feel as smooth as many other MMO's that I've played), and the graphics and animations look dated.

That said, the world-building and storytelling on display are spectacular. (Not a surprise given that the lead designer is the guy behind The Longest Journey, one of the best adventure games ever made.) You'll want to track down every bit of lore and background material you can find in the game because it's just so interesting and fun to read (not to mention cryptic). The dialogue and quest design are fantastic, and the modern-day setting is a lot of fun.

The game's biggest problem IMO (and the reason I agree that it won't last long as a subscription-based MMO) is that it often feels like it wants to be a single-player game. The quests are so narrative-focused (with a pretty heavy puzzle-solving element to them), and the dialogue and lore are so plentiful and fun to read and listen to, that you're probably best off soloing anything aside from dungeons and pvp. You'll want to take everything in at your own pace.
    Last edited by Azilis; 07-13-2012 at 01:08 AM.

- Fancy Title - RPGamer Staff risingsun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterChief View Post
    Thanks for the clarification there, Sev.

Hm, I went to beamdog.com just now, and it DOES use a client. At least according to their FAQ.
    TrentOster: I can't go into the contract, the deal is such that we are limited to specific stores on each platform. Beamdog #bgee will not have a client

TrentOster: The Beamdog version will be available with or without our client. We've heard all the "I love Steam more than kitties" so no client.

TrentOster: The reason for the Beamdog exclusive is financial. To save the deal after the HD fell through, we took a haircut on PC Royalties.

Quote Originally Posted by risingsun View Post
    TrentOster: I can't go into the contract, the deal is such that we are limited to specific stores on each platform. Beamdog #bgee will not have a client

TrentOster: The Beamdog version will be available with or without our client. We've heard all the "I love Steam more than kitties" so no client.

TrentOster: The reason for the Beamdog exclusive is financial. To save the deal after the HD fell through, we took a haircut on PC Royalties.
    Ah.

Personally I don't get going no-client just on this game, but having to run clients that take up resources for your games can bite me in general, so I'll just wait to see what they actually do (if anything) DRM wise.

Not that it matters much anyway, already have the original off gog. Reminds me, I really should get BGII from there...

Lusi makes any podcast instantly 150% more entertaining. Now you've just got to get Glenn back too. Good stuff. I don't always agree with Lusipurr but he's very opinionated and has a tendency to defend his positions in a way that at least makes me understand his point. No further feedback yet, gotta listen to the rest of the podcast yet.
    Please Donate to RPGamer's Extra Life team!
    http://www.extra-life.org/participant/diceadmiral

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff 7thCircle's Avatar
    Someone remembers my existence? GET HIM!!!!
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.