Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Huge Developments Underway in Baltimore - Editorial

Huge Developments Underway in Baltimore - Editorial

The developers of Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning have undergone some big, huge changes over the past few months since their game released. While things looked down for a while, for some of them, the outlook is now much more epic.

Editorial
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

As an interesting aside, EA stated they would love to publish a follow-up to Kingdoms of Amalur.

Releaser of Heavy Metal LegendaryZoltan's Avatar
    A very important editorial. Thank you. I totally want all those guys to get new jobs but most of all, I want Curt Schilling to be able to finish his MMO someday. If Epic ends up making a new Amalur sequel with EA, is it possible that Curt gets called? I personally think that he SHOULD be there. I don't think his input in the game was a small one.

The guy seems like such a successful person in life in general so it seems unlikely that he'd just go out like that.

I think it was more EA wants to Produce another KoA game and not just publish it. That's the sense i got.
    I am bad and that is good, I will never be good and that's not bad, there's no one I'd rather be than me - Wreck-it-Ralph

27 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a Proud if slightly annoyed Father :D

Quote Originally Posted by LegendaryZoltan View Post
    A very important editorial. Thank you. I totally want all those guys to get new jobs but most of all, I want Curt Schilling to be able to finish his MMO someday. If Epic ends up making a new Amalur sequel with EA, is it possible that Curt gets called? I personally think that he SHOULD be there. I don't think his input in the game was a small one.

The guy seems like such a successful person in life in general so it seems unlikely that he'd just go out like that.
    I haven't kept up with it since everything went down, but it sounded like Schilling was getting scapegoated at the time. Whether he deserves it or not who knows? I doubt he comes out of this whole thing unscathed.

The real issue with Amalur was budgetary over-reach, an extremely unfortunate problem in the industry these days. If selling 500,000 units of _any_ game is considered a failure and your studio goes bankrupt, you're doing something very, very wrong.

The should make an RPG based on The Wire. Except don't get 38 Studio to do it.

I liked Amalur. I mean... it was a competent game, if nothing else. I didn't feel the voicework, art, and story quite befitted the pedigree of all these famous people that were contributing to it. Perhaps that's just me. It's far from a "failure" in my mind though.

Prod with the Prod The Doomhammer's Avatar
    The should make an RPG based on The Wire. Except don't get 38 Studio to do it.
    "PLAYER, Omar stole our package! Can you go to the projects and bring back 8 bags of Heroin before Snoop finds out and kills me in an abandoned house? I'll give you 25 dollars and a 38. revolver +2"

I remember Chris Avellone saying a The Wire RPG was his dream project or something. I have no clue how it would work honestly.

At the beginning of the game you choose to be either a dealer or police. If you choose to be a dealer, the object of the game is to either become a Kindpin or a shotgun-wielding folk hero. If you choose to be police, you get ****ed.

I'm not particularly fond of rumors in the gaming world since more often than not they lead to vaporware and disappointments. I only wish to see new games announced if developers are 99.99% sure they'll see release in the near future (*looks at Final Fantasy Versus XIII*).
    Last edited by LOLOttertard; 07-14-2012 at 01:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jitawa View Post
    I liked Amalur. I mean... it was a competent game, if nothing else. I didn't feel the voicework, art, and story quite befitted the pedigree of all these famous people that were contributing to it. Perhaps that's just me. It's far from a "failure" in my mind though.
    That's just it, the only possible excuse for calling it a "failure" is that it couldn't meet extreme and unreasonable sales requirements to make back its budget. Might have been one thing if it was an MMO with a monthly fee coming in, but a single-player game with a one-time buy-in? 500,000 units is damn good for a new IP!

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    We don't actually know if Reckoning overran its budget. The main budgetary problems 38 was having were related to the development of the Copernicus MMO. We know Reckoning did all right for publisher EA (enough that EA was probably going to publish Reckoning 2 until it heard about the financial issues at 38), but we don't know how much money it gave back to BHG/38 Studios.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

EA had a 70, them, 30, 38s, split for the console game. EA took most of the money.

Quote Originally Posted by Lodor3 View Post
    EA had a 70, them, 30, 38s, split for the console game. EA took most of the money.
    Is that customary? That seems.. more lop-sided than I would've guessed.

No it isn't, so I'm curious where the stat comes from.

i can't remember where I heard it, but it said that it was 70/30 plus they had to pay back 30 million for a loan EA gave them before they could collect any profit. I can't say that it's true but I can say whoever agrees to that kind of deal pretty much shoots themselves in the head, financially speaking.

I could understand 70/30 + loan the other way. That makes sense.

supposedly it was said in a bankruptcy hearing. http://ca.ign.com/articles/2012/07/1...ruptcy-hearing

Hmm, that article brings up more and more questions. 2 million to break even when 3 million was said on twitter previously, etc etc.