Thread: RPGCast - Episode 231: "Lisa Power"

Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflict Administrator sabin1001's Avatar

RPGCast - Episode 231: "Lisa Power"

Can our podcast can handle good gameplay? What are PG's? What do these questions even mean? Well, there are circumstances in which that info cannot be released.

You can find the links to all our stories on delicious: http://delicious.com/rpgamer/231

RPGCast streams live, sometimes on Friday at 10 PM Eastern / 7 PM Pacific, usually on Saturday at Noon Eastern / 9 AM Pacific.

Leave your feedback in the following ways!
    Post in this thread.
    Email us at podcast@rpgamer.com
    Leave us a voicemail at (608) 729-4098
    Email us an mp3 or m4a voicemail at podcast@rpgamer.com

Download the show: "Lisa Power"
    Subscribe to the feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/Rpgcast
    Subscribe in iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...t?id=264306390
    Subscribe your Zune: Zune Player Link

I got my friend to update The Witcher. He did it pretty easily. The game is a lot of fun. I was excited to hear from Manny that Witcher 2 is coming to MAC as well.

Yay Kisaki! Hope the ending is good.

Point of order; Nintendo announced at E3 that Wii downloads would be transferable to the WiiU, even if it's a DSi->3DS situation.
    http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/technolo...ny-says-at-e3/

(Point of odor: Lisa smells.)
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups

Got to admit I felt a little bit of pleasure after hearing how wrong Mr Argumentative was about FF versus 13

I'm a long time listener to this podcast, but this particular episode finally gave me the incentive to sign up and post.

Quote Originally Posted by Retrovertigo View Post
    Got to admit I felt a little bit of pleasure after hearing how wrong Mr Argumentative was about FF versus 13
    This is very true. I'm curious what he has to say on the matter, given his undying reluctance to even fathom the idea that the game WASN'T cancelled, and his reply of "butthurt" to anyone who said otherwise.

I understand that Lusipurr is a former staff member and a good friend of Chris, but the next time he's on someone really needs to reign him in on the amount of unnecessary and downright vicious personal attacks he makes on random people who have no chance to defend themselves. In particular, his arbitrary hate of Rainbow Moon, which he clearly has not played or else his entire argument wouldn't be something he made up (yes, some enemies primarily target the archer. They are, however, ranged. All of them. Meaning they can attack the archer no matter her defenses). There are elements to the game that can be legitimately criticized (as Anna pointed out, the incessant grind), but the enemy AI is not one of them. Is it really appropriate to insult the intelligence of those who actually enjoy the game?

And I believe it's common sense to NOT make a joke revolving around a massacre that isn't even a week old, claiming you'll "get shot" if you go see the new DK movie. How insensitive can you be? Thank you Jonathan and Anna for changing the subject.

I'm sorry my first post had to be so negative, but I had to vent.

By coincidence, my partner and I had sat down to watch old episodes of Charlie Brooker's Newswipe very recently, so this was freshly in my mind when I made the comment about changing the subject:

(Some NSFW language)

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

I didn't learn anything! MasterChief's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dyne View Post
    This is very true. I'm curious what he has to say on the matter, given his undying reluctance to even fathom the idea that the game WASN'T cancelled, and his reply of "butthurt" to anyone who said otherwise.

I understand that Lusipurr is a former staff member and a good friend of Chris, but the next time he's on someone really needs to reign him in on the amount of unnecessary and downright vicious personal attacks he makes on random people who have no chance to defend themselves. In particular, his arbitrary hate of Rainbow Moon, which he clearly has not played or else his entire argument wouldn't be something he made up (yes, some enemies primarily target the archer. They are, however, ranged. All of them. Meaning they can attack the archer no matter her defenses). There are elements to the game that can be legitimately criticized (as Anna pointed out, the incessant grind), but the enemy AI is not one of them. Is it really appropriate to insult the intelligence of those who actually enjoy the game?

And I believe it's common sense to NOT make a joke revolving around a massacre that isn't even a week old, claiming you'll "get shot" if you go see the new DK movie. How insensitive can you be? Thank you Jonathan and Anna for changing the subject.

I'm sorry my first post had to be so negative, but I had to vent.
    I won't speak to Rainbow Moon as I've not read it myself, but I will say that Lusipurr is very... Boisterous about his opinions. It's hard to tell sometimes whether it's part of his "act" or not, which only serves to make them more and more uncomfortable. Mostly I just push along and try not to get angry, even as his Call of Duty diatribe had me tempted to throw my Samsung Replenish to the ground in anger. However, I do agree that it's not okay for him to make personal insults of people who enjoy games that he doesn't, regardless of his opinion. He just has an over-inflated sense of his own importance. He and Aris Bakhtanians would get along smashingly, I imagine.

And yeah, the "you'll get shot" bit was decidedly cringe-worthy. Makes me glad podcasts weren't quite as big a thing when 9/11 happened.

Anyway, let's lighten things up a bit, shall we?

Regarding shooters on the Vita, Resistance: Burning Skies is a poor barometer. While it's not as bile-inducingly awful as some have claimed, it's a sub-par offering that does little to capture the spirit of the PS3 trilogy, or even the PSP's Resistance: Retribution. Add to that the annoying, forced touch screen controls (I've blown myself up with more rifle grenades than I'd like to admit, while using the crossbow or the Augur shield is a pain in the rear) and both characters and fights that are nowhere near as memorable as the rest of the game, and you have a recipe for an utterly average title. If Call of Duty: Black Ops Declassified is actually a good Call of Duty game, it might have a chance to light a fire under the Vita. If it's not just a port of Black Ops 2, I know I'll be picking it up.

Anyway, question for the RPGCast!

Given how Lusipurr's raging anti-Call of Duty bile last week, combined with Chris and Anna's dismissive-to-condescending attitude towards western games (Blizzard notwithstanding), I can't help but be reminded of the condescending attitude of many toward RPGs, especially JRPGs. While I don't expect you guys to welcome western gaming into your hearts any time soon, I wonder what it is that makes a game worth that sort of nose-turning? There are many games I dislike, many genres I don't take pleasure in, and there are certainly more than a few companies whose business practices rub me the wrong way, but I've never understood the outright disdain so many have toward the existence of FPSes, or JRPGs, or what have you. Worse yet is the assumptions made only based on appearance, whether the idea that stories with gruff soldiers cannot have emotional impact or angst-ridden teenagers can never make for interesting characters. While certainly elitists exist in any medium, it seems that gamers are the least willing to live and let live. What is it that makes us (I'll admit I've had my bad moments) so willing to look down upon one another?

EDIT: Pokemon Black 2 and White 2 is DS, not 3DS.
    Last edited by MasterChief; 07-25-2012 at 11:33 PM.

"What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.

[QUOTE=sabin1001;441115]RPGCast - Episode 231: "Lisa Power"

Can our podcast can handle good gameplay? What are PG's? What do these questions even mean? Well, there are circumstances in which that info cannot be released.

PGs are films. As in "the first Harry Potter is a PG", or "all the Back to the Future films are PGs". At least that's the case in England. Dunno if America has PG? Or just PG-13?

Quote Originally Posted by MasterChief View Post
    Given how Lusipurr's raging anti-Call of Duty bile last week, combined with Chris and Anna's dismissive-to-condescending attitude towards western games (Blizzard notwithstanding), I can't help but be reminded of the condescending attitude of many toward RPGs, especially JRPGs. While I don't expect you guys to welcome western gaming into your hearts any time soon, I wonder what it is that makes a game worth that sort of nose-turning? There are many games I dislike, many genres I don't take pleasure in, and there are certainly more than a few companies whose business practices rub me the wrong way, but I've never understood the outright disdain so many have toward the existence of FPSes, or JRPGs, or what have you. Worse yet is the assumptions made only based on appearance, whether the idea that stories with gruff soldiers cannot have emotional impact or angst-ridden teenagers can never make for interesting characters. While certainly elitists exist in any medium, it seems that gamers are the least willing to live and let live. What is it that makes us (I'll admit I've had my bad moments) so willing to look down upon one another?
    This might be ********, but I get the impression that people generally aren't as concerned with genre in film and literature as they are in games, so naturally there isn't an much enmity between fans of particular genres. And in the case of games, genres are basically in direct competition with each other since most publishers still haven't learned how to effectively make money off niches, and thus increasingly make games exclusively within the action genre.

At least that's why people hate FPSs. People hate JRPGs because they are primarily aimed at teenagers (and thus have melodramatic plots and low difficulty), and entertainment aimed at teenagers tend to resonate less with a general audience than those aimed at children or adults. If you look at the JRPGs that are most hated, it is always the ones that were made with teenagers in mind (so Final Fantasy VII/VIII/X/XIII, Kingdom Hearts, Tales etc. but not Dragon Quest, SMT (except Persona), Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy I-VI and IX).

Also they suck.

President of Soft Paws SeraphimKitten's Avatar
    Goodness, I'm glad I read through the other posts. I always assumed Lusipurr's reoccurring role was because he's a fan favorite. I was actually thinking that Lusipurr is a lot more palatable when you take Oliver and Not Oliver (Edit: Ethan) out of the equation. After all of the early episodes I got used to Lusipurr, and it doesn't bother me to see him back. I could never get into the Megaphone podcasts, but I think when you take him away from his minions he's a lot more enjoyable. Oddly enough, I could never get past Glenn's attitude. Much like Lusipurr's "act," you would always hear Glenn or someone defend him by saying that it was all an act to make the podcast easier to listen to, but those were the parts I skipped or turned off the podcast during. I feel that the podcast is at its best when you don't have someone pretending to be unpleasant simply for the sake of drama.

I do have to agree the "you will be shot" comment is in bad taste, especially considering RPGcast has people who listen to the podcast on their way to work while they drive past the theater where it happened.

Listening to several of the old podcasts before this one I noticed a lot of comments on Diablo 3 and its down time. Maybe I just always chose the perfect times to play, but I never tried to log on to Diablo 3 and found the servers down or any errors. While my circle of friends is a fairly small subset, I haven't heard anyone have a negative experience with Diablo or its launch. It's strange to hear all of the comments about other games trying to cash in on the "Diablo 3 launch failure" when I played the game, beat it, and moved on without running into any of those issues. Still, maybe I should count my blessings.

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff 7thCircle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SeraphimKitten View Post
    Oddly enough, I could never get past Glenn's attitude. Much like Lusipurr's "act," you would always hear Glenn or someone defend him by saying that it was all an act to make the podcast easier to listen to, but those were the parts I skipped or turned off the podcast during.
    You might be mixing me up with someone else. I've only been on 1 podcast with Lusipurr: the completely ridiculous 100th episode that had like 10 people on it and was more of a 2008 RPGamer staff reunion than a normal podcast. If you were so deeply traumatized by that podcast that you think I regularly defend Shawn and was on multiple podcasts with him, that is pretty damn amusing.

If you didn't like the way I acted on podcasts independent of memories connected to Lusipurr... that's fine
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.

I didn't learn anything! MasterChief's Avatar
    [QUOTE=Bogrot;441314]
    Quote Originally Posted by sabin1001 View Post

PGs are films. As in "the first Harry Potter is a PG", or "all the Back to the Future films are PGs". At least that's the case in England. Dunno if America has PG? Or just PG-13?
    the MPAA rating system goes as thus:

G - General audience
    PG - Parental guidence
    PG-13 - Parental Guidance, especially with regards to kids under 13.
    R - Restricted (Under 17 only allowed with parents)
    NC-17 - No Children under 17 (regardless of parents)

Quote Originally Posted by SeraphimKitten
    Goodness, I'm glad I read through the other posts. I always assumed Lusipurr's reoccurring role was because he's a fan favorite. I was actually thinking that Lusipurr is a lot more palatable when you take Oliver and Not Oliver (Edit: Ethan) out of the equation. After all of the early episodes I got used to Lusipurr, and it doesn't bother me to see him back. I could never get into the Megaphone podcasts, but I think when you take him away from his minions he's a lot more enjoyable. Oddly enough, I could never get past Glenn's attitude. Much like Lusipurr's "act," you would always hear Glenn or someone defend him by saying that it was all an act to make the podcast easier to listen to, but those were the parts I skipped or turned off the podcast during. I feel that the podcast is at its best when you don't have someone pretending to be unpleasant simply for the sake of drama.
    The issue with Lusipurr or Glenn (Though Glenn has been known to throw in a few racist barbs atop, making him mildly worse) is that their negativity is core to their contribution. There's very little actual wit or depth to their commentary, so they resort to negativity to generate interest. Not that different from Rush Limbaugh or Glenn Beck, really.

"What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.

President of Soft Paws SeraphimKitten's Avatar
    You might be mixing me up with someone else. I've only been on 1 podcast with Lusipurr: the completely ridiculous 100th episode that had like 10 people on it and was more of a 2008 RPGamer staff reunion than a normal podcast. If you were so deeply traumatized by that podcast that you think I regularly defend Shawn and was on multiple podcasts with him, that is pretty damn amusing.

If you didn't like the way I acted on podcasts independent of memories connected to Lusipurr... that's fine
    Oops, that sentence wasn't as clear as I meant it. I didn't mean to say you were defending Shawn -- it is two independent dislikes. Though when you and Shawn are on your "best behavior", so to speak, I like having either - or both - of you there.

Ok, so I COMPLETELY AGREE about the shooting comment, but I actually enjoy Lusipurr on the show. He makes me laugh and he's so obviously overconfident in everything he says that he brings a fun counter-point relationship to the show. Granted you have to listen with the knowledge that being loud doesn't mean you are also smart. But you may be VERY entertaining. Keep it up rpgcast
    Playing: Wild Arms 3, Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning, Star Ocean First Departure
    www.retrodragon.wordpress.com