Thread: Final Fantasy XIV Becomes a Realm Reborn

Staff Healer RPGamer Staff TwinBahamut's Avatar

Final Fantasy XIV Becomes a Realm Reborn

Square Enix's troubled MMO is getting a minor name change, but the real news is the flashy new trailer. Fans of Final Fantasy games which feature meteors dropping from the sky and battlefields dominated by Magitek armor should go watch it.

[Link]

{Excitement!}
    I like the website design, but there isn't much of anything new here. 'A realm reborn' is better than continuing to call it 2.0 ... which is also grammatically awkward to end a sentence with. We know SE is good at pretty FMVs, and this is a pretty FMV. Still, the new game looks really good. Next dates of awesome i am eagerly anticipating; Gamescom in Mid august will start the flood of real game-play stuff, September is the Alpha, and September 30th proposed Beta start date. So close! *_* Soooooooooon.

New Member Member
    MY GOD 34s magitek armor, oh fond memories. If only they didnt make numbered FF games MMOs. Its so odd how the 2 MMOs they do are strictly fantasy but the rest of the series pushes sci-fi now. That saddens me.

Tactic's Ogre I choose u! scorpio_7's Avatar
    Nice FMV... I like the darker atmosphere that this seems to present. Hopefully they will hold on to that and move a bit away from "cute". And yes the magitek armor looks sick.

Its so odd how the 2 MMOs they do are strictly fantasy but the rest of the series pushes sci-fi now. That saddens me.
    Oh, good. I'm not the only one wondering what's up with that.

Magitek armor...oh, the memories...

New Member New Registered User
    "a Realm Reborn"-

Looks like the same old crap to me, with a bone thrown to pander to old school FFVI gamers.

God I hate this decade's Square-Enix. I really, really hate it. They've been surpassed in so many ways by Atlas now, it's unbelievable.

If only it was free to play
    I am bad and that is good, I will never be good and that's not bad, there's no one I'd rather be than me - Wreck-it-Ralph

27 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a Proud if slightly annoyed Father :D

I'm tempted to try it now that there are cat boys
    FFXI Character name: Shadowneko Server: Quetzalcoatl Main Jobs: lvl 76 THF, lvl 95 Summoner, lvl 39 Dragoon

My VAPS Entry,

It looks to westernized now....
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.

For anyone wondering about the darker tone. The storyline currently in the game is leading up to the darkening of the land. It's all in the lore already (parts have been there since the game launched), details of the Seventh Umbral Era and the vanishing of the prosperous Astral Era that was to be the high note of civilization.

As we currently play, we're experiencing it almost virtually live. It is a one time only storyline meant to explain the drastic world change. On the plus side, anyone who has experienced it can re-watch it via an in-game journal. It has been confirmed all the cutscenes from version 1.x are being imported into 2.0. Some scenes of course will have to be tweaked to fit into the new version architecture. There will be a lot of youtube scenes to watch I'm sure for new players that want to see all the backstory, but this current storyline is basically a gift to those who stuck it out through the rebuild phase. SE has earned my respect throughout this process.

Don't let the trailer make you think everything is all "westernized." A few key decisions were made to appeal to western players, but I assure you that this game is all Final Fantasy. Right down to the heartfelt cut scenes that make you go "aww," quirky side characters, and serious global conflict tension. Based on the implementation of the 7th Umbral Era storyline, 2.0 is going to be a fantastic Final Fantasy plot with a world full of adventure and things to experience.

Oh and Magitek armour already exists in the game. They are high level machinery that guard an end-game/main story stronghold.
    Last edited by Holy_Dragoon; 07-27-2012 at 03:47 PM.
    "To be forgotten is worse than death."

Quote Originally Posted by shademask View Post
    "a Realm Reborn"-

Looks like the same old crap to me, with a bone thrown to pander to old school FFVI gamers.

God I hate this decade's Square-Enix. I really, really hate it. They've been surpassed in so many ways by Atlas now, it's unbelievable.
    Magitek Armor isn't the only bone ... They're gonna have Crystal tower and Gold Saucer as well. In fact it's pretty much confirmed that there's going to be fan service, but HAIL DIRECTOR Yoshi is a god, and he will do us no wrong.

basically, you don't have to love SE. You can hate them all you want. All you need to know is that Yoshi-P is to SE what Wayne Gretzky was to hockey. This is gonna be an awesome game by his leadership.
    Last edited by NefarioCall; 07-27-2012 at 04:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shademask View Post
    "a Realm Reborn"-

Would you say you "Hate, hate, hate, hate, hate!" them?

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimeMan View Post
    If only it was free to play
    I'm pretty sure that it will be within a year or two of 2.0's release, irrespective of how good the revised game actually is. It would have been hard enough for FFXIV to stake out a niche in this WoW dominated market even if it had a smooth launch, but after such a shocking start I think that free to play status is the only thing that will be able to bring a sufficient number of players back into the fold.
    Lusipurr.com: One man's monument to himself!
    9 out of 10 Dentists recomend UNDERBOOB!

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    I'd agree with you, except that Square Enix is stubbornly traditional about pricing models. It doesn't price its apps at the normal app store price on iDevices, so why would it follow the trend towards going free to play with its MMOs? Final Fantasy XI is still subscription-based... I don't think it even has a free trial, does it?

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Quote Originally Posted by SiliconNooB View Post
    I'm pretty sure that it will be within a year or two of 2.0's release, irrespective of how good the revised game actually is. It would have been hard enough for FFXIV to stake out a niche in this WoW dominated market even if it had a smooth launch, but after such a shocking start I think that free to play status is the only thing that will be able to bring a sufficient number of players back into the fold.
    SE has struck a deal with China's biggest game developer to release FFXIV in China. Yoshi-P has just returned from a marketing trip to the China-Joy convention this past weekend. China is far and away the worlds biggest MMO market, and by example of that, WoW subscribers from within China account for more than half of the entire subscription base. It is estimated that FFXIV will secure more subscribers from China alone than FFXI ever sustained from the rest of the world at its peak. Yoshi has also indicted that after the PS3 and China releases are complete, SE will pursue an XBOX 360 version and eventually, ports for the next generation of consoles (PS4 etc).

The game will also be more than competent enough that overall quality will not be the cause of failure this time around. In other words, any concerns that FFXIV will not survive or go free to play should be considered dead.

EDIT: {Hmmm...} I found this from a new interview on the internet and it seemed relevant to my post, so here's the excerpt.

RPG Site: About how large now is the team working on FF14 and how has it - if at all - affected Square Enix development internally? Actually, I’m really interested in the way the team works so perhaps if you could describe a bit about day to day workings and various staff roles? Going back to the idea of 2.0 having an ‘epic Final Fantasy-style’ story, I’m really interested in who will be handling the scenario and dialogue writing—things like that.
    Yoshida: Currently, the in-house team consists of almost 300 members. We also have outsourced a fair amount of work to third-party companies, so all-in-all, the team is fairly large.

Some of the core members include:

Naoki Yoshida – producer/director – (Dragon Quest series)
    Yoshihisa Hashimoto – technical director – (CTO, Luminous engine)
    Hiroshi Takai – assistant director – (Last Remnant, FFV, Romancing Saga series)
    Akihiko Matsui – battle director – (Final Fantasy Series, FFXI)
    Hiroshi Minagawa – UI director – (FFXII, Tactics Ogre)
    Takeo Suzuki – art director – (FFXII)
    Akihiko Yoshida – lead artist (FFXII, Tactics Ogre)

And many, many more Square Enix veterans

Continuing operation and development of the current version alongside 2.0 development has resulted in a very unique team make-up. On one side, we have a small team of programmers and art designers working on assets ordered by the 1.0 game design/scenario team who implement their quests directly into the game via lua script. For 2.0 development, we have separate teams for quest/scenario writing, game design, UI design, level design, and programming. The programming team is further divided into smaller units working on the servers, user interface, in-game content, the client system, graphics, and more. Finally, we cannot forget our artists, whose workload is determined by assignments received from the teams listed above.

As director, I personally make it a point to check the details of each group’s work, and prioritize the implementation of new features.

Yaeko Sato (FINAL FANTASY XI, FINAL FANTASY XII) will continue her role as lead writer. I, personally, will also be involved in working on the plot. In addition, we have introduced a talented new Scenario Director, but you’ll have to wait a little longer for more information regarding him at the moment. Him!? I’ve already said too much…
    Last edited by NefarioCall; 08-01-2012 at 04:31 AM. Reason: Addition

Unless they give us PS3 owners a way of testing the game out before we put money down on it, i'll have to pass. I can't see it doing very well outside of a free to play model similiar to how DC Universe is on ps3, especially with all the negative press of the pc version.
    Last edited by Ryumoau; 08-04-2012 at 08:51 AM.
    "To die without leaving a corpse....that is the way of the Garo"
    PSN id: Ryumoau

Dread News Editor RPGamer Staff Fowl Sorcerous's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by watcher View Post
    Would you say you "Hate, hate, hate, hate, hate!" them?
    more like this kind of hate.