Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Details and Release Date Revealed

- Fancy Title - RPGamer Staff risingsun's Avatar

Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Details and Release Date Revealed

Baldur's Gate is back, this time in Pog form. Oops, we mean Baldur's Gate is back in an all new Enhanced Edition with all new features, content, and support for modern tablet computers. Check out the story for all of the details.

-Link to Story
    Last edited by risingsun; 07-27-2012 at 12:37 PM.

I really wasn't fond of the original version and probably won't look into it unless they really fix the mechanisms I felt were grossly unbalanced.

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff 7thCircle's Avatar
    I was talking to Manny about that while proofreading the story. I hated Baldur's Gate 1, but it's possible that this version's improvements could fix all the things I didn't like: turtle-like pace, lack of content, and everything about the interface.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.

- Fancy Title - RPGamer Staff risingsun's Avatar
    One of the main focuses of the EE is to fix the UI. The game is running on the BG2: Throne of Bhaal version of the Infinity Engine and the UI and Engine in EE are reworked and improved versions of ToB. So that may solve your UI problems there, especially if you liked Baldur's Gate II like 7th did. They are also adding all of the kits from BG2 and incorporating several popular mods like the 1PP mods.

The new content adds a lot of stuff to the game, but time will tell how fun it is.
    Last edited by risingsun; 07-27-2012 at 01:32 PM.

Have they said anything about system specs? Doesn't look a world away from the original, graphics wise, and that ran great on my netbook.

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff 7thCircle's Avatar
    It's a 2D 1998 game running on a 2001 engine. It'll run great on your toaster if you bought it in the last few years.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.

Tactic's Ogre I choose u! scorpio_7's Avatar
    I am totally stoked about this. I loved the original, and with the new content, this is a must buy for me.

My only question is... what the heck is the beamdog store?

I think I need some Baldur's Gate superfans to play through this first and reassure me that the new characters aren't Saerileth-level dreck.

I enjoyed Baldur's gate well enough, and Baldur's Gate II is great, but I've never really been able to work up the enthusiasm to replay them. The thing on their site about it being the "greatest roleplaying game of all time" is kind of hilarious, since the first one has about as much roleplaying as The Secret of Monkey Island. I suspect I'll be more interested in an enhanced edition of Dragon Age 15 years from now than this.

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Jmustang1968's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ThroneofDravaris View Post
    I think I need some Baldur's Gate superfans to play through this first and reassure me that the new characters aren't Saerileth-level dreck.

I enjoyed Baldur's gate well enough, and Baldur's Gate II is great, but I've never really been able to work up the enthusiasm to replay them. The thing on their site about it being the "greatest roleplaying game of all time" is kind of hilarious, since the first one has about as much roleplaying as The Secret of Monkey Island. I suspect I'll be more interested in an enhanced edition of Dragon Age 15 years from now than this.
    We shall see on the characters, but according to Trent Oster, they should be integrating well into the main story and add their own thoughts and quips to major story events. I do like BG2 a bit more than 1, but I think BG1 and the series in general to be one of the top RPG gaming experiences.

I hope to see BG2 follow this, though I guess that'll be based on sales. BG2 still stands as Bioware's best game IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Azilis View Post
    I hope to see BG2 follow this, though I guess that'll be based on sales. BG2 still stands as Bioware's best game IMO.
    It was stated in their forums, by a moderater or dev, that BG2 will most definitely follow and is planned for a 2013 release. Beyond that Icewind Dale, and IWD2, amoung other similar games, they are open to doing provided BG 1 and 2 do well.

Quote Originally Posted by scorpio_7 View Post
    It was stated in their forums, by a moderater or dev, that BG2 will most definitely follow and is planned for a 2013 release. Beyond that Icewind Dale, and IWD2, amoung other similar games, they are open to doing provided BG 1 and 2 do well.
    This is correct, and Planescape Torment as well. Not to mention, if the remakes have success, they want to make a BG3.

I am looking forward to this. I think BG1 was a great game for its time but could definitely use some major improvements in the UI.

One of my favorite moments in BG1 was when I left my party members (Jaheira, Khalid, Xzar, and Montaron) downstairs in an inn. Jaheira started arguing with Xzar then she and Khalid ended up killing Xzar & Monatorn.
    Last edited by daveyd; 07-28-2012 at 09:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by daveyd View Post
    I am looking forward to this. I think BG1 was a great game for its time but could definitely use some major improvements in the UI.

One of my favorite moments in BG1 was when I left my party members (Jaheira, Khalid, Xzar, and Montaron) downstairs in an inn. Jaheira started arguing with Xzar then she and Khalid ended up killing Xzar & Monatorn.
    I absolutely loved momoents like those. Hopefully they will add more of these party interactions with the new character additions.

Hmm, since you always try me to convince of WRPGs and mentioned Baldur's Gate to me several times, I might use this enhanced edition to give it another try.

well well, look who it is randal77's Avatar
    Wait, so... wait.

If there are romance options for all three of the new NPCs,

...Does this mean that they'll be romance options for some of the old NPCs, too? Not that I can especially think of any of them I'd particularly want to romance though.
    Wait a second... If you're here, than that means... oh boy

Quote Originally Posted by randal77 View Post
    Wait, so... wait.

If there are romance options for all three of the new NPCs,

...Does this mean that they'll be romance options for some of the old NPCs, too? Not that I can especially think of any of them I'd particularly want to romance though.
    From what I have read, my understanding is that the romances in BG1 are just with the new characters.

Bear in mind, romances were mainly introduced in BG2... for example Jaheira was romanceable in the second game.

It would be nice though.

Each new character is romanceable and each character's adventure adds four additional hours, so there are eight additional hours of gameplay in total.
    Does this mean that romancing one of those 3 character takes 4 hours (to bring their total time to 8) ?

Quote Originally Posted by silktail View Post
    Does this mean that romancing one of those 3 character takes 4 hours (to bring their total time to 8) ?
    Each characters adds about 4 each including any romancing and the Black Pits is another 6 I think. So about 18 hours additional content with the new stuff. This game is vast, as you have the original game, the ex-pack, new BGEE content and whatever fan mods you want to add on...

All these games have been on my 'to play' list for a long time ... but then i've got a couple hundred games on that list.
    Whenever i do get to these, i guess these new updated versions will be worth looking at.