Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Final Fantasy III Joins the Ouya

Staff Healer RPGamer Staff TwinBahamut's Avatar

Final Fantasy III Joins the Ouya

In case you haven't heard, there is this thing called the Ouya coming out sometime in the future. No one knows what the name is supposed to mean, but Final Fantasy III is going to be on it, so we're interested.

[Link]

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    If the Ouya does well, and more mobile titles are added to it, I might just find myself getting it.
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.

I just seen this and it does make me a little bit more interested in keeping my eye on ouya. But I'm definitely waiting to see if it gets something better than my least favourite FF game ever....

Staff Healer RPGamer Staff TwinBahamut's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lolwhoops View Post
    I just seen this and it does make me a little bit more interested in keeping my eye on ouya. But I'm definitely waiting to see if it gets something better than my least favourite FF game ever....
    Must resist urge to turn this into a "how can you call that your least favorite FF game" debate...

More on topic, yeah, this is a sign that the Ouya might have some potential life in it. If Square announced that it would be porting be porting Chaos Rings to Android just for the Ouya, then it would be an even better sign. I'm not sure how well the platform will work, but it does seem interesting. It's gonna be a tough sell to ask me to buy a new console just to play games I already own or could buy with my iPhone, though.

Getting support from a huge publisher, even if it is one that likes to port their old games to everything short of a TI-82, is pretty big for this project. This is exciting.
    Rise!

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    I'm kinda hoping this does well, as it means there's a slight chance SE may think about bringing Before Crisis to the shores of NA for the Ouya.
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.

GM,DM,PC,NPC,1P,2P & TG TG Barighm's Avatar
    Validity Level Up!

It is considered the indie platform. The game industry is moving more towards indie side of things again so this should help push it even more in that direction. Especially if making games for it cost way less than it does for the big 3 (which doing so for the big 3 costs tons and many hoops to jump through).

Since android is the base OS for this, wouldn't technically all android games be playable on the console in some form?

Just gotta say one of two things pops into my head when I read the title of this system

1. The Kool Aid guy.
    2. Macho Man Randy Savage from the Slim Jim commercials.

Both of which say OH YEAH. Honestly thats what this thing makes me think everytime I see the name. OH YEAH
    I am bad and that is good, I will never be good and that's not bad, there's no one I'd rather be than me - Wreck-it-Ralph

27 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a Proud if slightly annoyed Father :D

I think of "Ooh-rah"

Quote Originally Posted by storino03 View Post
    Since android is the base OS for this, wouldn't technically all android games be playable on the console in some form?
    This is what I was thinking. It's basically the equivalent of saying: Final Fantasy III is coming out for android. FF3 has the distinction of being a more "full"-featured sort of mobile game in comparison to a lot of offerings for mobile. It's not clear to me exactly who will adapt the game for those controls (since the mobile-port is touch-based), but considering the ephemeral nature of the console (and the fact Square didn't do the mobile versions themselves iirc) - I doubt it's Square.

quick reation to kickstarter: dang pretty darn close to 6 million!

FF News: Well if the DS version looks good on my TV...but it probably won't...
    FFXI Character name: Shadowneko Server: Quetzalcoatl Main Jobs: lvl 76 THF, lvl 95 Summoner, lvl 39 Dragoon

My VAPS Entry,

I didn't learn anything! MasterChief's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lodor3 View Post
    It is considered the indie platform. The game industry is moving more towards indie side of things again so this should help push it even more in that direction. Especially if making games for it cost way less than it does for the big 3 (which doing so for the big 3 costs tons and many hoops to jump through).
    Not sure if I'd agree with that. There aren't exactly a lot of major publishers on mobile platforms, and the ones that are either crap out insubstantial throw-aways or the same ridiculous levels of excess that we see in much of the home console market. Honestly, "indie" gaming is more of a novelty than anything else, and I doubt it's going to overtake the larger titles any time soon.

Sorry, but Nintendo, Sony and MS, with their certification and anti-piracy measures, are going to continue being the mainstream of the game industry for the foreseeable future.

"What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.

Quote Originally Posted by storino03 View Post
    I think of "Ooh-rah"
    That Hoo-rah, and that only works for Marines
    I am bad and that is good, I will never be good and that's not bad, there's no one I'd rather be than me - Wreck-it-Ralph

27 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a Proud if slightly annoyed Father :D

Quote Originally Posted by TG Barighm View Post
    Validity Level Up!
    That's exactly what I was thinking. Still, I'm of the mind that this will turn out to be lacking in anti-piracy measures and lose any major publisher support it starts with. Or at least it won't get any major titles until years after their initial release.

I didn't learn anything! MasterChief's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by watcher View Post
    That's exactly what I was thinking. Still, I'm of the mind that this will turn out to be lacking in anti-piracy measures and lose any major publisher support it starts with. Or at least it won't get any major titles until years after their initial release.
    Well, the Ouya folks are pretty committed to the system being moddable, so yeah.

"What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.

Wait a second, a console that uses TV and controller and plays mobile games!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!

For those who know me, add: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Some console developer must be reading these forums and decided to fulfill my wishes it seems.

Tactic's Ogre I choose u! scorpio_7's Avatar
    This does sound interesting... I am curious to hear what other titles get announced though.

Question: Is this the same thing that was revealed at E3...just using a tv to play your PC games... no download/install... just click and play? If its not the same thing... what was the thing at E3?

GM,DM,PC,NPC,1P,2P & TG TG Barighm's Avatar
    Some console developer must be reading these forums and decided to fulfill my wishes it seems.
    Better get on to the Ouya thread in the Misc. section and check out the Firestarter so you can buy one.