Thread: RPGCast - Episode 235: "Fail Cast"

Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflict Administrator sabin1001's Avatar

RPGCast - Episode 235: "Fail Cast"

RPGCast - Episode 235: "Fail Cast"

RPG Cast drops the ball. Manny crashes the party. Anna and Jon paint the town. Chris goes silent. But none of that matters, you're here for the return of the Legendary Zoltan!

You can find the links to all our stories on delicious: http://delicious.com/rpgamer/235

RPGCast streams live on Saturday at Noon Eastern / 9 AM Pacific.

Leave your feedback in the following ways!
    Post in this thread.
    Email us at podcast@rpgamer.com
    Leave us a voicemail at (608) 729-4098
    Email us an mp3 or m4a voicemail at podcast@rpgamer.com

Download the show: "Fail Cast"
    Subscribe to the feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/Rpgcast
    Subscribe in iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...t?id=264306390
    Subscribe your Zune: Zune Player Link

Normal British Service shall resume next week, I'm in Vancouver airport waiting for my flight right now.

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

I didn't learn anything! MasterChief's Avatar
    Well, I will say this - yeah, it's not a huge deal, but calling your "sidekick has it easy" type of gameplay "girlfriend mode," is a bit condescending. I'm saddened that one of my favorite development houses has chosen to wrap themselves in sexist elements of the culture, but I suppose I shouldn't be surprised by the studio that decided bringing back DNF was somehow important.

"What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.

Releaser of Heavy Metal LegendaryZoltan's Avatar
    I am under the opinion that all games can be played equally well with a mouse or a controller as long as they do a good job with interfaces and button mapping, etc. I played Borderlands from beginning to platinum entirely on the PS3 and thought that aiming and shooting and all that felt supremely good on the controller. Whenever a person says that it controls perfectly on a controller and another person says it controls perfectly on a mouse, it means that there is no superior version. I am definitely not getting Borderlands 2 because I found it kind of boring and I REALLY don't like wasteland settings.

Hahaha! Manny sounded like Bill Cosby when he said "Pokedux"

As I am trying to find a way to tie in my gamer entertainment with my career as a musician, I'm thinking of making the remix a permanent part of the mix. What do you guys think?

If you want to hear the Overture remix again, here you go. http://soundcloud.com/legendaryzoltan/the-dragoons-wife
    Also, I forgot to mention that I wrote and performed it but it was extravagantly mixed and mastered by Garrett Williamson AKA G-Mixer on Overclocked Remix.
    Last edited by LegendaryZoltan; 08-19-2012 at 03:52 AM.
    Like RPGs? Then you will like my RPG comedy show. Watch free RIGHT HERE!

FaceBook | Twitter | Website

- Fancy Title - RPGamer Staff risingsun's Avatar
    Zoltan, I would hardly call Borderlands 2 a wasteland setting. In fact its just the opposite, lots of vibrant colors, city, jungle, and snow locals. In general the game features tons more variety and fixes a lot of the problems of the first game. If the wasteland setting is what turned you off I say you give it another look.

If you want the link for the zelda book its here
    http://tinyurl.com/bqwc3nu for 20.99
    Also the link for the 800 page 3 book set of the final fantasy art book by Yo****aka Amano
    http://tinyurl.com/d6crr3h The Sky Art of Final Fantasy box set 88.19

Releaser of Heavy Metal LegendaryZoltan's Avatar
    I put up an MP3 for download of the FF6 mix you heard. Link is in the sig.
    Like RPGs? Then you will like my RPG comedy show. Watch free RIGHT HERE!

FaceBook | Twitter | Website

The problem with the "girlfriend mode" terminology is that it implies that female gamers need an easy mode. While that's obviously not what the guy who used that term when talking to the press meant, it wasn't the best choice of words. As far as I understand, it's actually a whole skill tree for the mechromancer character class (the DLC one) designed for people who aren't very good at first person shooter gameplay. FWIW, last I heard, they were considering making one of her other skill trees a counterpoint to "girlfriend mode" . . . more of a hardcore mode.

As for cancelling digital pre-orders . . . count me among those who don't understand the need to pre-order digital downloads. I rarely even pre-order physical copies of games. Pre-order bonuses never look that appealing to me, so the only reason to pre-order is if the game might be in short supply on release day. I think the last game I pre-ordered was Wrath of the Lich King, and that was only to make absolutely positively sure I would have a copy saved for me to pick up on release day (I was pretty obsessive about WoW for a few short years).

On another subject, I've been playing Epic Astro Story on my Android phone for the past few weeks. Looking forward to trying Dungeon Village soon. Android has actually been getting better treatment than iOS from Kairosoft lately. More of their games are available on Android than iOS, but there are still quite a few that haven't made it yet to both platforms.

Manny, were you over-leveled (or over-geared) for the final boss in Borderlands when you took him down in just a few shots? Like Chris, I'm just now scrambling to get through the game before the sequel arrives, so I haven't beaten it, but I was able to one-shot a few early bosses by being a little bit over-leveled. As far as I can tell so far playing the hunter class, headshots make a big difference due to the crits you get as a result. Crit bonuses on weapons or skills are pretty much useless without headshots, aren't they?

Quote Originally Posted by LegendaryZoltan View Post
    I am under the opinion that all games can be played equally well with a mouse or a controller as long as they do a good job with interfaces and button mapping, etc.
    Not sure I agree with that. For shooters, there almost has to be some sort of assisted aiming on consoles, because the mouse is simply more precise than analog sticks will ever be for aiming. I'm actually horrified at the thought of playing a shooter on a console, even though I know that it works with some help from the interface. Games like Skyrim and Demon's Souls are better off than shooters with console controls, but I still prefer mouse/keyboard (that's the reason I never bought Dark Souls for PS3 . . . the controls in Demon's Souls were just too much of a pain to work with).

IMO, mouse/keyboard controls make for a better experience in general without a lot of help from the interface. The problem in demonstrating this is that most games these days are designed with console controls in mind (with a lot of interface assistance) and then slightly redesigned for the pc, not taking full advantage of a mouse/keyboard-driven interface. Dungeon Siege 3 is a perfect example. That game could easily have had Diablo-style controls (which suit that type of game perfectly) but was designed to be played with a controller. That's not a bad thing in itself, but IMO, well-implemented Diablo-style point-and-click controls are a significant step up from what can be done with a controller in that kind of game. Obsidian unfortunately didn't put much effort into redesigning the controls for PC, and as a result, the game is best played with a gamepad, regardless of the system.

The one genre that I can say is unequivocally better with a console controller is sports games. I've played FIFA with both kinds of controls, and there's no comparison.
    Last edited by Fowl Sorcerous; 08-22-2012 at 10:46 PM. Reason: two consecutive posts