Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Storm Gathers for Final Fantasy Fans

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar

A Storm Gathers for Final Fantasy Fans

Square Enix is taunting its fans with the possibility of a Final Fantasy XIII-3, but it refuses to state things clearly. One can only hope that this is not just an announcement of their intent to announce an announcement.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

New Member New Registered User Oddeye's Avatar
    I will be annoyed that they are going the sequel route and not finishing their other projects if that's the case. Just finish Versus XIII already.

Quote Originally Posted by Oddeye View Post
    I will be annoyed that they are going the sequel route and not finishing their other projects if that's the case. Just finish Versus XIII already.
    Two completely separate teams working on two separate titles.
    I am bad and that is good, I will never be good and that's not bad, there's no one I'd rather be than me - Wreck-it-Ralph

27 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a Proud if slightly annoyed Father :D

Its 13-3 but its a prequel to 13 story.

Meh, I am tired of FFXIII - didn't really enjoy either of them. I'll pass.

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    Better suggestion for them...go CG movie so we can watch awesome without having to shell out big bucks to see the saga end.
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.

I'm really ok with a third installment to FF13. I was meh on 1, 2 was awesome though. I'm really ok with keeping the saga going, there is a new number title coming out soon in 14, and Versus is still spinning around out there apparently.. so at least they aren't throwing all of their eggs into this basket.

Quote Originally Posted by Oddeye View Post
    It's my understanding that there are going to be big 25th anniversary FF press conferences on August 31/Sept. 1 in Japan and NA. This announcement by the FF XIII creative team will take place during the Japanese conference and be simulcast at the NA one. It is also my understanding that Final Fantasy XIII-3, or whatever they choose to call the next XIII-related game, is not the only game that will be featured. I would expect FFXIV: ARR and some mention of Versus XIII, given the PR damage from the recent Kotaku snafu. I'm also crossing my fingers for more announcments, namely that of a Type-0 localization for NA.

http://na.square-enix.com/finalfanta...a_celebration!

A smooth flow of thought Kaiser's Avatar
    it's official, japans video game industry lost all its creativity and the only thing they produce now is sequels noone asked for and HD remakes.

Playstation: FFVII, FFVIII, FFIX
    Playstation 2: FFX, FFX-2, FFXII
    Playstation 3: FFXIII, FFXIII-2, FFXIII-3
    Last edited by Drav; 08-23-2012 at 07:31 AM.

A smooth flow of thought Kaiser's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ThroneofDravaris View Post
    Playstation: FFVII, FFVIII, FFIX
    Playstation 2: FFX, FFX-2, FFXII
    Playstation 3: FFXIII, FFXIII-2, FFXIII-3
    Playstation 4: FFXIII Super-HD, FFXIII-4 Online, FFXIII Versus (delayed, will be relased for the Playstation 5)

Staff Healer RPGamer Staff TwinBahamut's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiser View Post
    it's official, japans video game industry lost all its creativity and the only thing they produce now is sequels noone asked for and HD remakes.
    This really isn't true. Just take a look at Mac's new PSP feature to see where all the creativity and Japanese games we really want are: on portable consoles that western gamers refuse to touch. It's not that they're not being made so much as they're simply not getting localized or bought.

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiser View Post
    No, that's just fighting games. If it helps, think of this like Xenosaga, except we didn't know in advance that there would be 3 episodes.
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.

Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderator ChickenGod's Avatar
    Count me in the camp that doesn't want to see an FF13-3. For all intents and purposes, FF13-2 was not a good game to me, and this is coming from someone who loves FF13. Seems like Square's just trying to please everyone with this series (in addition to milking it for cash), and in so doing are alienating a large audience, including those who liked the original game. 13-3 would have to do a complete 180 to capture my interest, at this point.

On the other hand, I know that there are those who liked 13-2 quite a bit, or at least weren't quite as displeased as they were with 13. Hopefully they get the game they are looking for out of 13-3, I'd just rather see that effort being spent on new projects as opposed to trying to "fix" previous ones, like they are doing with 14 and the 13 "series".

Quote Originally Posted by DarkRPGMaster View Post
    If it helps, think of this like Xenosaga, except we didn't know in advance that there would be 3 episodes.
    Never thought of it like this, Dark. I know I'm probably in the minority on this, but if 13-3 follows the Xenosaga pattern, that would mean that 13 was the cutscene heavy divisive opinion game, 13-2 was the collossal screw up and 13-3 is going to incredible!
    Last edited by ChickenGod; 08-23-2012 at 04:40 PM.
    "Looks like Teach just got tenure!" - Teach

Hmm. Liked 13-1 well enough. Not that fond of 13-2 (a good bit due to the utterly-disjoint plot & storyline, what with all the bouncing at will between zones & times). 13-3? We'll see.

Side question, from someone who staggered through "basic" 13-2, but then didn't try for all the paradoxes and skipped the DLC...... if 13-3 is a continuation, what DLC, if any, are "required" to get the proper story for 13-2? (Like, is the Sahz one skippable, but you need the Lightning one for the "true" end, or what?)

Quote Originally Posted by ChickenGod View Post
    Never thought of it like this, Dark. I know I'm probably in the minority on this, but if 13-3 follows the Xenosaga pattern, that would mean that 13 was the cutscene heavy divisive opinion game, 13-2 was the collossal screw up and 13-3 is going to incredible!
    I'm getting off topic here a bit as well ... but Xenosaga II is my favorite of the 3.
    I've always had a hard time understanding the hate.
    It has the best battle system of the three ... i particularly enjoyed the story execution
    (even though it was by design written in troubled times)

I picked up 13-2 with the intent to play it after I finished another couple games. However, there's been soooo many DLC releases that it makes me feel like I bought a story-based game (as jrpgs tend to be) that was basically left unfinished. It was enough of a turn-off that I haven't bothered playing it, and I feel odd being such a long-time Final Fantasy fan and having reached that point with the series. To some extent I think that's part of the reason some of the ME3-content issues rubbed people the wrong way; there's this idea with more story-based games that unlike some MP-focused title, you're at least getting the complete narrative package. The tacked on bits to various titles have struck me as odd for awhile. I kinda thought the "spin-off" phenomenon would be a more limited affair (or the character cameo type thing from Ergheiz/Final Fantasy Tactics). X was the first for a direct sequel, and that had an.. odd reception. Now we're moving up to two sequels (of a game that was also wildly divisive)?

I have no idea what's going on over there anymore.

I definitely disliked 13-2 more than 13. I'd be very leery about another sequel, and I'd wait for reviews before buying (which I didn't really do for 13-2, more's the pity).

well here we go with my sequelits comment: Why is it even necessary to make prequels and sequels to a game that many people hated?(maybe the hate is exaggerated but still)
    FFXI Character name: Shadowneko Server: Quetzalcoatl Main Jobs: lvl 76 THF, lvl 95 Summoner, lvl 39 Dragoon

My VAPS Entry,

A lot of people liked it too, maybe you're forgetting that. Adrian (the RPGamer reviewer) liked the original, at least.