Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Most Viable PSP RPGs

Most Viable PSP RPGs

While the PSP is slowly fading into the distance, there are still many games likely trapped forever in Japan. Here's a look at some of those that could have done well here.

Most Viable PSP RPGs
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

That Guy You Hate RPGamer Staff omegabyte's Avatar
    I am sorely disappointed you didn't mention .hack//Link
    "It's okay to fail as long as you learn that you failed!" - Neptune, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
    Follow me on Twitter
    Read my serialized, comedy-fantasy web novel, The Almanac of All Things - http://www.thealmanac.ca - Read All of Part One Now!

there's a number of PSP games coming out or that have been released in the last year or two that I would love to get a hold of. I've bought more PSP games in the last year or so than pretty much any other system. For a long time releases I wanted were few and far between, but there have been some great ones more recently. With being able to play most digital PSP and PS1 classics on the Vita I'm pretty much going to support this system until it's completely dead and buried.

That said, I think I want Suikoden 2 more than the PSP one. I've been dying to play it for years but haven't had the desire to pay $150 or something ridiculous like that for it. But for $10 download to my PSP? Yeah, day one.
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D

Staff Healer RPGamer Staff TwinBahamut's Avatar
    This little feature is far too cruel. A lot of these looked like rather fun games. It is sad to imagine that they have little-to-no hope of ever getting localized.

A lot of good stuff there.
    I would like to add in Nayuta no Kiseki. However, this title has a fair chance at localization - as much or more than any title listed here.

I have been trying to learn Japanese to a level where I'm able to enjoy games but I am having lots of trouble (check out my avatar, too). I actually own Hero 30 Second and it's not too hard to play if you don't know Japanese (because everyone knows you have to kill the evil lord). However, much of the charm of the game (but not all) is lost in the witty dialogue - which seems to be present in this title, but it's not enjoyable for me because it's not localized.

That's also why it's important that story-driven titles are placed in the hands of a good localization team.

Personal wishlist:
    FF Type-Zero
    Trails in the Sky SC
    Valkyria Chronicles III
    Blaze Union
    Gloria Union (not mentioned, but you didn't have to)
    Hero 30 Second
    Ao no Kiseki
    Shining Hearts
    Summon Night 5

I really would have bought all of these that actually came out. I'm not most gamers though.

Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderator ChickenGod's Avatar
    Agreed, this list is a little depressing. Hopefully some of these titles will be localized with some kind of Vita port. Type-0 or Zero No Kiseki, for example. Looking at this list there are a great deal of games I would have bought. Over half of the PSP games I own were purchased in just the last couple of years, too.
    "Looks like Teach just got tenure!" - Teach

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    You make me a sad RPGamer. You taunt me with Shining Hearts, Summon Night 5, Fate/Extra CCC, FF Type-Zero, and pretty much EVERYTHING on that list.
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.

I'd like to point out that, just because the PSP is on its tech death bed, it doesn't mean publishers like XSeed and Atlus don't have a viable alternative for sales. Even if you've moved onto the Vita, you can still play digital PSP titles. Both companies have released most of their titles as digital products already, and XSeed recently made Unchained Blades digital only (and hopefully won't have Vita compatibility troubles in the future). Even if it's two years from now and the PSP is dead and buried, companies can still make profit off PSP titles playable on the Vita.

Quote Originally Posted by Dyne View Post
    I'd like to point out that, just because the PSP is on its tech death bed, it doesn't mean publishers like XSeed and Atlus don't have a viable alternative for sales. Even if you've moved onto the Vita, you can still play digital PSP titles. Both companies have released most of their titles as digital products already, and XSeed recently made Unchained Blades digital only (and hopefully won't have Vita compatibility troubles in the future). Even if it's two years from now and the PSP is dead and buried, companies can still make profit off PSP titles playable on the Vita.
    this is my take on it too. Also is my hope and best wish.
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D

The whole situation depresses me. The PSP is still going strong in Japan, and dying a quick death in NA. It's been dying for a few years now, really. It seems we will continue to miss out on some great games. I don't understand why Sony isn't strongarming the companies into porting for the Vita. Why would anyone buy a new system when there is a constant stream of kickass games coming out (in Japan) for the PSP?

Type-0 hurts the most. It's sad that in 2012 we are still struggling with big name FF games being localized, I thought that was all over when 7 did well in NA.

TITS SC hurts a bit, but Xseed has said its still being worked on.. sooo... Its a temporary bandaid

Eternal Punishment only hurts me a bit.. I haven't delved into Persona yet, so I still have Innocent Sin, P3P, and P4 for Vita to look forward to before I go getting depressed about this games. Still sucks though

All I wanted was just these four:
    FF Type-Zero
    Trails in the Sky SC
    Valkyria Chronicles III
    7th Dragon 2020

Heck, just give me more Legend of Heroes and VC3, and that'd be good enough for me.

While PSP games work on the Vita if tuned to do so, it doesn't automatically mean they work as intended. A game that runs perfectly on a PSP can have graphical tearing, frreezing, even randomly missing inventory items -- just to name a couple things my friends and clients have run into. So not to rain on anyone's dreams that passed over games may resurface as PSN titles, but there may be a reason we don't see them beyond crappy decision making. Especially since the conversion process can be complicated by Sony's approval process.

That being said, I would love Love LOVE several of these titles as digital releases, and I'm optimistic for a couple yet.

I only really want 7th Dragon 2020(and the original 7th Dragon)...

No mention of Zwei!!

I was also really hopeful for Tales of Phantasia - Full Vocal Edition, since we missed the PSX version.

Quote Originally Posted by flamethrower View Post
    A lot of good stuff there.
    I would like to add in Nayuta no Kiseki. However, this title has a fair chance at localization - as much or more than any title listed here.
    Nayuta is in the honorable mentions.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

*insert VERY long gibberish uninspired fanboy rant here*

*exhaustion and sadness settles in*

Gimme
    R-Type Tactics 2 Operation Bitter Choclate
    Kurohyō: Ryū ga Gotoku Shinshō
    Kurohyō 2: Ryū ga Gotoku Ashura hen (yeah technically no rpgs but w/e)

Blaze Union
    Gloria Union
    Summon Night 5 (plus the remakes of the earlier ones)
    La Pucelle Ragnarok

and for the Love of God....Valkyria Chronicles 3!!!
    Last edited by Private Prinny; 08-24-2012 at 06:06 AM.

I would add all the PSP Tales games.

As for Sora No Kiseki SC the game will be released in North America just most likely NOT on the PSP and via Steam only.

Which sucks for 2 reasons 1 being that a save file from the first game on the PSP can NOT be used for data transfer for a Steam only version of the sequel but i prefer that SC does get a PSP release in North America

I'll probably wait on Trails until the potential Steam version, anyway.

Well I prefer SC still on the PSP sure by PC can play SC but I don't know where to buy the required graphics card or download the other items rquired.

That and odds are if I had to buy a graphics card tech support would cost me +200 just to have them set it into my PC's hard Drive which is not worth that kind of money.