Thread: Poll - Optional Dungeons

Code: Kirin RPGamer Staff JuMeSyn's Avatar

Poll - Optional Dungeons

Which completely plot-free bonus dungeon was the most addictive?
    Seraphic Gate (Valkyrie Profile)
    Deep Dungeon (Final Fantasy Tactics)
    Zhonecage (Tales of Graces F)
    The Monad Depths (Persona 3)
    Nasty Dungeon (Final Fantasy Legend 2)
    Omega Ruins (Final Fantasy X)
    Ancient Cave (Lufia 2)
    Kokon Horay (Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter)
    The Forest of Pain (.hack//G.U. Vol. 3)
    Pork City (The World Ends With You)
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

That Guy You Hate RPGamer Staff omegabyte's Avatar
    Gotta go with Monad. Never done a playthrough of P3 without going all the way to the bottom. It's not really the dungeon itself that's addictive, but the fact that you level up stupidly quick and unlock new personas at a crazy pace.
    "It's okay to fail as long as you learn that you failed!" - Neptune, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
    Follow me on Twitter
    Read my serialized, comedy-fantasy web novel, The Almanac of All Things - http://www.thealmanac.ca - Read All of Part One Now!

The whole persona games feel like a story-free optional dungeon (at least the dungeon parts). =p
    No way.

I really would love to vote for Seraphic Gate, but you listed Ancient Cave from Lufia 2 there. There honestly can't be any other choice if that one is offered. It is an awesome roguelike, with a separate battle system screen (the only one of it's kind) and a really huge variety.

Well all the tri-Ace optional dungeons have been pretty awesome if you ask me. I hardly did optional dungeons in other games, because I was happy then I was done with them lol.

Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderator ChickenGod's Avatar
    Looking at this list, I voted for the Seraphic Gate. Some of the dungeons listed I have never played the games for, such as .hack, and others like P3 were never attempted. Valkyrie Profile's was especially fun given that you can acquire new characters and select from all the Einherjar available. Star Ocean 2's was also a good challenge with the additional levels gained, and I believe completing it increased the final boss' strength by removing the "limiter" or whatever they called it.
    Last edited by ChickenGod; 08-24-2012 at 02:14 PM.
    "Looks like Teach just got tenure!" - Teach

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ChickenGod View Post
    Looking at this list, I voted for the Seraphic Gate. Some of the dungeons listed I have never played the games for, such as .hack, and others like P3 were never attempted. Valkyrie Profile's was especially fun given that you can acquire new characters and select from all the Einherjar available. Star Ocean 2's was also a good challenge with the additional levels gained, and I believe completing it increased the final boss' strength by removing the "limiter" or whatever they called it.
    That was only if you did certain PAs up to that point, Chicken. But yes, it made the final boss OP, and required the party being at 255 with the best stuff just to survive him. I do agree that Seraphic Gate is my favorite extra dungeon, mostly because it didn't feel different from the game very much, while having a small little 'story' of its own.
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.

I'm kind of surprised that no Star Ocean games are on the list.

Yeah, I was missing them too, though you could say that they are not 100% independent of the story.

Also I beat Indalecio Limiter Off at level 210. :-)

Zonecage, Seraphic Gate or Sphere 211 (Star Ocean 3's optional dungeon).

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

Apparently I'm one of under 10 people that voted for the "nasty dungeon"... ha! It has nothing to do with it being addictive per se, but I've noticed on subsequent playthroughs of many games I've played multiple times - I often don't feel like doing the optional dungeon. It might've been worth it once, or fun at some time... but it seems tedious on a retread.

Nasty dungeon is relatively very short (as you might... imagine an original gameboy dungeon would be). It also has some of the best items in the game, AND it's all stuff you can get before the last few bosses/dungeons in the game. Lots of the super-dungeons are meant to challenge characters in a post-game, so all of the gameplay involved only serves to power you up for.. other stuff in the same dungeon (it's irrelevant to the main game which you've since left in the dust). The Nasty Dungeon gives you a persuasive reason to dive in with the tougher bits of the main game still ahead of you.

/shrug

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff GaijinMonogatari's Avatar
    I voted for Nasty Dungeon as well. It was just so well done for a GB title. Ever answered "No" to the fairy at the end who asks you if you think the dungeon really was that nasty?

Quote Originally Posted by GaijinMonogatari View Post
    I voted for Nasty Dungeon as well. It was just so well done for a GB title. Ever answered "No" to the fairy at the end who asks you if you think the dungeon really was that nasty?
    I did, she teleports you back into it, randomly.

Personally, though I haven't done the vote. I loved Ancient Cave in Lufia 2. I spent a full 8 hours one day going to the depths of it after school. It was my personal favorite of them all. Especially if you could find blue chests cause although the gear wasn't always tip top it was pretty good and helpful for the next few areas
    I am bad and that is good, I will never be good and that's not bad, there's no one I'd rather be than me - Wreck-it-Ralph

27 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a Proud if slightly annoyed Father :D

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff GaijinMonogatari's Avatar
    Not just that, she teleports you back into it randomly, then DISABLES ALL TELEPORTATION DEVICES. That is pure evil, right there.

One nice touch in the DS remake was that the Nasty Fairy could be fought as an optional boss in the special arena feature. Hehe, revenge was mine.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimeMan View Post
    I did, she teleports you back into it, randomly.

Personally, though I haven't done the vote. I loved Ancient Cave in Lufia 2. I spent a full 8 hours one day going to the depths of it after school. It was my personal favorite of them all. Especially if you could find blue chests cause although the gear wasn't always tip top it was pretty good and helpful for the next few areas
    That was easily the best bonus dungeon ever created in a game. Lufia 2 was an amazing game as it was, and I'm pretty positive I spent more time with the Ancient Dungeon than the game itself. As a matter of fact, I play the game every once in a while just to get up to the point where I have Dekar just to go through the cave.

Finish the game on New Game+, then you will get a special Ancient Cave mode where you can play it with all characters you want.

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Lufia 2's Ancient Cave was the best, and the best out of all the versions in the series. Random every time, no save points, character stats reset upon entry, and heavy restriction on entry items. Add to all of that a set of collection items to keep you returning to the cave time after time. I still remember getting myself up to the 97th floor only to be wiped out by a pack of gold dragons....I damn near broke my controller. The ultimate troll? Floor 100 is glitched. Now I have the dungeon theme in my head and am seriously considering starting it up again.

Uh, Ancient Cave Lufia two-prepare for a by now I hope famous Balance ramble. First of all, the fact that I voted for the most popular choice was a surprise but I got a glow of geek belonging, it's sad I was really touched.
    But the true reason was, yes, everyone described Ancient Cave from Lufia 2 brilliantly but I played it every day for I think 3 days and my brother and sister had to argue with me and make me give up.......................................THE SEARCH FOR THE LAST IRIS TREASURE!
    Another memorable possibly not optional but can be played after you complete the game favourite dungeon is. Dragonquest 9, although now I realise it's dungeons plural facepalm.
    Of the list , I think I only played 4....

Tactic's Ogre I choose u! scorpio_7's Avatar
    How about the dungeon in Tactics Ogre... Hell's Gate was it? That one is pretty epic 100+ floors.

Smells like time for a new poll.

Code: Kirin RPGamer Staff JuMeSyn's Avatar
    Have some results!
    Deep Dungeon (Final Fantasy Tactics) 1214 30.71%
    Ancient Cave (Lufia 2) 864 21.86%
    Seraphic Gate (Valkyrie Profile) 625 15.81%
    Omega Ruins (Final Fantasy X) 556 14.07%
    The Monad Depths (Persona 3) 178 4.50%
    Zhonecage (Tales of Graces F) 150 3.79%
    Pork City (The World Ends With You) 145 3.67%
    Kokon Horay (Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter) 94 2.38%
    The Forest of Pain (.hack//G.U. Vol. 3) 75 1.90%
    Nasty Dungeon (Final Fantasy Legend 2) 52 1.32%
    Total Votes 3953
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

All those deep dungeon votes seem cheated!