Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RPGCast - Episode 236: "They Goin Ham"

Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflict Administrator sabin1001's Avatar

RPGCast - Episode 236: "They Goin Ham"

RPGamer picks its fall fashion lineup. Square Enix picks its worst mobile pricing ever. A fan on Neogaf, however, shows that FROM Software's graphics department has been sitting around picking its collective nose.

You can find the links to all our stories on delicious: http://delicious.com/rpgamer/236

RPGCast streams live on Saturday at Noon Eastern / 9 AM Pacific.

Leave your feedback in the following ways!
    Post in this thread.
    Email us at podcast@rpgamer.com
    Leave us a voicemail at (608) 729-4098
    Email us an mp3 or m4a voicemail at podcast@rpgamer.com

Download the show: "They Goin Ham"
    Subscribe to the feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/Rpgcast
    Subscribe in iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...t?id=264306390
    Subscribe your Zune: Zune Player Link

The model kit photos, for those that missed them.

What I've done so far, the 0 Raiser support craft:

What it should look like when done:

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

Dread News Editor RPGamer Staff Fowl Sorcerous's Avatar
    so tell me. where is the 1/60th scale hot-pockets dispenser?

Quote Originally Posted by Fowl Sorcerous View Post
    so tell me. where is the 1/60th scale hot-pockets dispenser?
    Inside the cockpit, which I haven't built yet.

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflict Administrator sabin1001's Avatar

Here is the inspiration for this week's title.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcJFdCmN98s

Oooh, shiny O Raiser! I can't wait to see the whole thing done!

I didn't learn anything! MasterChief's Avatar
    Robot Shirt - White Glint.
    Pony Shirt - Fluttershy, or maybe Princess Luna.

OK, onto the latest stupid rumor regarding the game consoles. Apparently there's word that Sony wants the PS4 to push 4K resolution. Now I know there's guys like Chris and Manny who are sincerely bothered by slightly less than absolutely top-of-the-line textures, but who's going to get a 4K TV for slightly sharper visuals, and at what point do we stop chasing graphics to the exclusion of all else? I just got my HDTV not even five years ago, and I know I'm not the only one.

"What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.

Moderator Moderator flamethrower's Avatar
    I'm not sure there's any value in 4k for home use.
    Movie theaters can and I believe already do take advantage of the tech. When the projector is 30 feet from the screen, and when you can take all the time you want to render the image, tech like this just makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterChief View Post
    Robot Shirt - White Glint
    I admire your taste in giant robots, sir.

Familiar Face Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    As for Pokemon T's, I'd like Lugia, Lucario, or Zoroark.
    For robots, the Super Vandread, or maybe Mokka
    "Life will be a very great deal less weird without you!"

"Do you know I think that's the nicest thing anybody's ever said to me?

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff 7thCircle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterChief View Post
    OK, onto the latest stupid rumor regarding the game consoles. Apparently there's word that Sony wants the PS4 to push 4K resolution. Now I know there's guys like Chris and Manny who are sincerely bothered by slightly less than absolutely top-of-the-line textures, but who's going to get a 4K TV for slightly sharper visuals, and at what point do we stop chasing graphics to the exclusion of all else? I just got my HDTV not even five years ago, and I know I'm not the only one.
    I think you answered your own question. 4K TVs aren't in homes now, but they might be affordable and common well before the PS4's lifecycle ends. If it comes out in 2014, it's possible that 4K TVs are common by 2018 or 2019. When the 360 came out, I didn't know anyone, including myself, with an HDTV. Most TV channels and nearly all TV shows weren't in HD back then. Who knows where 4K tech will go in the future. Plus, Sony does try to use its gaming division to push sales for its other products, so it's not surprising that since 3D TVs flopped and the company is losing money, they'll want the PS4 to encourage people to buy into 4K TVs eventually.

Whether or not people can see a difference between HD and 4K resolution in a living room... I'm inclined to say "no," but I see what Sony is thinking.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.

Personally, I want them to consolidate more on 1080P. Chances are, 4K will only be used on smaller titles, indie games, things like Disgaea 4...

As for upcoming releases, I'm interested in...
    Ratchet and Clank Collection (Tomorrow!)
    Persona 4: The Golden.
    Ragnarok Odyssey should be worth grabbing.
    I have Kirby collection on preorder.
    Zero Escape: Virtue's last reward will probably be purchased.
    Assassin's creed 3 & Liberation? I still haven't finished AC1, but I'll likely buy these anyway...
    Skylanders Giants has already been preordered.
    I might get Xcom Enemy Unknown...
    I kind of want to play Dishonored, Doom 3 BFG, and Borderlands 2, but they are not the highest on my priority list.

Well, even with all the delays, my year is still pretty full.

Edit: Looking at the release dates, it's more like a busy October. 9 games in October, 2 september, none in november.
    Last edited by kazriko; 08-27-2012 at 04:01 PM.

I have a model or 2 I have put together. I found a great place to buy them in rockford IL in some random toy store. I guess the guy got a good deal on them or something because he said he could order what i wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by 7thCircle View Post
    I think you answered your own question. 4K TVs aren't in homes now, but they might be affordable and common well before the PS4's lifecycle ends. If it comes out in 2014, it's possible that 4K TVs are common by 2018 or 2019. When the 360 came out, I didn't know anyone, including myself, with an HDTV. Most TV channels and nearly all TV shows weren't in HD back then. Who knows where 4K tech will go in the future. Plus, Sony does try to use its gaming division to push sales for its other products, so it's not surprising that since 3D TVs flopped and the company is losing money, they'll want the PS4 to encourage people to buy into 4K TVs eventually.

Whether or not people can see a difference between HD and 4K resolution in a living room... I'm inclined to say "no," but I see what Sony is thinking.
    Well, if it's going to be four years between the PS4 and the hypothetical affordability of 4K, Sony might be better off saving that one for the PS5 in 2020. Considering how bad 3DTVs have done in the marketplace, the last thing Sony should do is jeapordize their only profitable division trying to push yet another technology that will likely see limited use.

Quote Originally Posted by Drizzl View Post
    I have a model or 2 I have put together. I found a great place to buy them in rockford IL in some random toy store. I guess the guy got a good deal on them or something because he said he could order what i wanted.
    I find that a lot of stores that stock Gunpla don't keep a huge selection on hand. Outside of a convention setting, there are a lot of kits that just don't sell very well. particularly when you get into the $100+ range. My local comic shop has a Master Grade G-Armor that has been sitting on the shelf for at least three years. And god help any store stupid enough to keep an HG Dendrobium in stock.

Gunclaws and Meow. Administrator Paws's Avatar
    Conversely, Sakura Media here in Vancouver can't keep them in stock. They're selling out so fast they've even pulled down the massive shelving units they were keeping everything on, because it's just never full. The "Big Kit" Quin bought was 250$ and it stayed in stock less than a month. In fact they ordered in 3 more and are again out of stock. It definitely helps that they have very reasonable prices. If you like gundam models, the obvious answer is to move to BC

I'm betting that Hobbywave is the supplier for that store, Paws. They are pretty much the go-to guys for robot model wholesale in Canada. Not only are they reasonably priced, but the fact that they are in Canada means that any customs fees that a store would have to deal with ordering from outside the country are already handled. Their one problem is that they don't restock certain things often enough. My LCS couldn't get a Banshee or a Real Grade Freedom if their lives depended on it right now, for example. There are also some old, relatively inexpensive 1/100 scale Wing kits that Hobbywave only restocks once a year that my LCS cannot keep in stock.

And for the uninitiated, LCS = Local Comic Shop.

Quote Originally Posted by SachielOne View Post
    I'm betting that Hobbywave is the supplier for that store, Paws. They are pretty much the go-to guys for robot model wholesale in Canada. Not only are they reasonably priced, but the fact that they are in Canada means that any customs fees that a store would have to deal with ordering from outside the country are already handled. Their one problem is that they don't restock certain things often enough. My LCS couldn't get a Banshee or a Real Grade Freedom if their lives depended on it right now, for example. There are also some old, relatively inexpensive 1/100 scale Wing kits that Hobbywave only restocks once a year that my LCS cannot keep in stock.

And for the uninitiated, LCS = Local Comic Shop.
    Sakura Media had 3-4 1/100 Banshees in stock(this one, currently backordered on HLJ), and some smaller complete models made by another company (Can't remember who). I didn't ask them who their supplier was.

The shield eating Like likes in the Legend of Zelda are nowhere near as annoying compared to the sword sealing Red Bubbles!

I don't think Chris will have quite as many problems with New Super Mario Bros. 2's difficulty. The excesses of money should give you loads of lives and failing that; you can always take the invincible White Raccoon suit if you keep dying.

I still can't believe Chris had problems with NSMB. Just wow....

Anyway, no RPGCast this week?