Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lightning Rides Again

Lightning Rides Again

After weeks of teasing gamers with a true finale to Final Fantasy XIII, Lightning's saga is now taking a different direction.

Story
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderator ChickenGod's Avatar
    Lightning the only playable character? Is it gonna be like an ARPG, or The Last Story where all you are allowed to play as is Zael? Not sure what to think yet, but they certainly didnt win me over with that little tidbit of information there.
    "Looks like Teach just got tenure!" - Teach

Noo, they were supposed to be bad forever.

To me, it sounds like the game will play out like the 2006 trailer. About time.

...Not that I'll play it.

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    I want more info on this...to see how good it is.
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.

1UP has a full preview.

"That info just totally melted my face off."

They already had me with a time system similar to Majora's Mask, but adding in the Dragon Quarter stuff? YOU HAVE MY MONEY SE, YOU HAVE ALL OF IT!
    User Database Check

It sounds a lot like the original Valkyrie Profile (ie the good one). I wonder if Tri-Ace are working on this as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ThroneofDravaris View Post
    It sounds a lot like the original Valkyrie Profile (ie the good one). I wonder if Tri-Ace are working on this as well.
    That's all they'd need to do to guarantee a Day 1 from people...especially if they mentioned "with help of the team that brought you Valkyrie Profile." If they said that, I SWEAR TO THE GAMING GODS I'd absolutely flip, scream like a schoolgirl, and faint.
    User Database Check

From all the info above except that it's made from the Valkyrie Profile team, this will most likely end up on my most hated games ever list!
    - only one playable character
    - day/night cycle
    - customization
    So many game killers in one game. Wow.

I'm excited. I loved XIII-2, was lukewarm on XIII but I'm always happy to see an original Final Fantasy release. It would have been nice if they went less modern with the combat, I'd love to see some menu driven combat.. but I guess at this point that might be unrealistic.

I'm also a little hesitant on the idea of no party members... one of my favorite aspects of RPGs is having a party... but overall I can't wait

Quote Originally Posted by Rya.Reisender View Post
    - only one playable character
    - day/night cycle
    - customization
    So many game killers in one game. Wow.
    Do you decide the things you don't like by throwing darts at a mind-map?

Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderator ChickenGod's Avatar
    Reading that article makes me very skeptical of how much I'll enjoy the game. Personally, the Dragon Quarter time limit and time currency thing is a HUGE turnoff. If theres one thing I hate in gaming, its permanent choice regarding the little things. There have been times where I enjoyed the day/night cycle (Xenoblade), but usually its just an annoyance of trying to find when you need to talk to a person. Couple that with a time limit that may not let you figure this out on your own? Yeah, doesn't sound very appealing. Sounds like it might be much shorter than the previous two as well, but we'll see. I'm also hoping more of the maps aren't just rehashes from FF13. Many people may not have noticed, but something like 7 or more area maps were copied straight from 13 and pasted into 13-2, and pretty much recycled again when you visited them in a different time. I'm also not pleased that it follows in the footsteps of 13-2's story.

Some things sound okay and of course we'll have to see more, but ultimately I'm not really all that thrilled about what the project is supposedly shaping up to be.
    "Looks like Teach just got tenure!" - Teach

I am OK with this.

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

So FFXIII meets BoFQ, plus VP, plus LoZ: MM? Well, I was never big on Majora's Mask, but the rest sound like improvements to me. But then, I'm often in the minority liking Dragon Quarter and all.

Half of me wants to buy this, the other half of me wants to punch babies

To expand I hate Dragon Quarter with a passion, there is a reason why the series hasn't been looked at by Capcom again and that game is it. Lets also add in the fact you have to DIE, and possibly do so repeatedly to actually beat the game is a really bad idea.

Then they are taking Lightning and putting her in a game on her own. Which to me sounds more like a cop out to wanting to shovel money since some people, as proven by a friend "I don't know what to say about it, other than I really do like Lightning." This ALONE is going to be the reason a lot of people are going to buy it.

A Day/Night thing will not bother me to much. DQ3, 4, and 5 had day and night (though limitedly so in DQ5) and played just fine to me. Day and night I have no issue with. The fact Lightning is the solo playable character is no issue. The world actually sounds kinda intriguing cause we see more then we have previously seen.

I had no issue with XIII or XIII-2. This one sounds even more of a turn off for me as an RPG player then the last two installments. It almsot sounds like some bad mishmash of the games already listed in the thread PLUS Dirge of Cerberus, which honestly is a ****ty game.

Also for those talking about Tri-Ace on this. Lets not forget, as the 1Up article mentions that they DID work on FFXIII-2. And they also did SO4, VP: CotP, and a few other games lately, that for all intensive purposes not lived up to expectations. So going "Oh wait the VP people are working on this", doesn't mean it'll be any good cause look at their track record as a whole.

Now for SE's sake I hope the game does well, cause I'd hate to lose them as a possible avenue of new games in the future. But they need some new blood. Even Sakaguchi (who left them) hasn't exactly been churning out grade A hits.

I will approaching this one, like I did FFXIII and FFXIII-2 with some caution. Although I enjoyed parts of FFXIII, and was vastly addicted to FFXIII-2, this one I'm definitely more leery of.
    Last edited by TheAnimeMan; 09-01-2012 at 01:53 AM.
    I am bad and that is good, I will never be good and that's not bad, there's no one I'd rather be than me - Wreck-it-Ralph

27 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a Proud if slightly annoyed Father :D

>reads RPGamer article<

....wha? O_o

Not having played Majora's Mask or VP, I have no idea what references to those really mean. I vaguely recall Dragon Quarter (...reads 1UP article.... ah! So the time limit will be more DQ and less, say, the obnoxious time management of Persona....)

Hmm. Not sure what to think. A bit uncertain about the "it's an action game!" combat system. I kind of miss menus. Ones that you actually have time to use (unlike, say, 13 and 13-2's "furiously hit buttons and choose Auto"... but, thinking about that, perhaps giving up the menus and going full action, instead of the super-action-menu hybrid thing, might be better. Go one way or the other, rather than an unsatisfying mix.)

Personally, I liked 13 well enough, and wasn't fond of 13-2 (less interesting main characters, and then the way-too-nonlinear "where the frak do I go now" time-travel/exploration that made it quite frustrating and undirected. Like 10-2, it came across as a bunch of sidequests in search of a plot, only even more disconnected.)

Oh, and big question - I didn't get any of the 13-2 DLC. Are any of them (like, say, Lightning's) absolutely required to get the proper story & actually get an ending, before going in to 13-3?

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimeMan View Post
    To expand I hate Dragon Quarter with a passion, there is a reason why the series hasn't been looked at by Capcom again and that game is it. Lets also add in the fact you have to DIE, and possibly do so repeatedly to actually beat the game is a really bad idea.
    I don't know about Lightning Rides Again, but it is not necessary to die to beat Dragon Quarter. You can play through the entire game without having to restart a single time (and I've done it).
    Check out our new XBox 360 Indie RPG, Cthulhu Saves the World, at http://zeboyd.com or follow us on twitter (username: werezompire) for the latest news.

Quote Originally Posted by ThroneofDravaris View Post
    Do you decide the things you don't like by throwing darts at a mind-map?
    I just have very good knowledge about games and my taste in games, so it's very easy for me to conclude if I like or hate a game just by reading 1-2 sentences on how it's like or just looking at a few screenshots. My deduction is to 90% correct. It's very rare that I assume that I won't like a game and end up liking it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeboyd Games View Post
    I don't know about Lightning Rides Again, but it is not necessary to die to beat Dragon Quarter. You can play through the entire game without having to restart a single time (and I've done it).
    Glad to know that I'm not the only one who pulled that off. It's one hell of a challenge ride if it's your first playthrough, and it's a shame the subsequent playthroughs are so damn easy in comparison.
    User Database Check