Thread: RPG Backtrack: Episode 78 - Once Upon a Time in the West

Code: Kirin RPGamer Staff JuMeSyn's Avatar

RPG Backtrack: Episode 78 - Once Upon a Time in the West

It's round-up time, and a big herd of steers is loose on the prairie. Looks like a might few RPGs are among 'em, so sit carefully to avoid the cacti and we'll trade stories around the ol' campfire.
    John Wayne will not be found within. Too bad.
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

My favorite in the series is WA4. Having 4 characters in the hex grid make the battles more interesting. I never did any lockdown things though, I just used my numbers to push the enemies into one hex. WA5 was still OK, but the hex battle system wasn't as fun for me because 3 characters means rarely need to pile more than one character in the same hex...

I've not finished WA3, but I remember it being interesting. I've tried a number of times to play WA1/WA:ACF but never really got more than half way through them. Actually, I've only gotten half-way through 5 as well, and the DVD's been really scratched up by now.

I finished WA2, but only barely remember it. It was a rental that I had for 5 days and plowed through as fast as possible...

That Guy You Hate RPGamer Staff omegabyte's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kazriko View Post
    My favorite in the series is WA4. Having 4 characters in the hex grid make the battles more interesting. I never did any lockdown things though, I just used my numbers to push the enemies into one hex. WA5 was still OK, but the hex battle system wasn't as fun for me because 3 characters means rarely need to pile more than one character in the same hex...

I've not finished WA3, but I remember it being interesting. I've tried a number of times to play WA1/WA:ACF but never really got more than half way through them. Actually, I've only gotten half-way through 5 as well, and the DVD's been really scratched up by now.

I finished WA2, but only barely remember it. It was a rental that I had for 5 days and plowed through as fast as possible...
    WA4 is also the only one I've completed. It's the only one that really felt like a modern game to me. WA5 stripped away too much of what I really liked about WA4 -- the HEX system wasn't as well implemented, I found the characters obnoxious rather than endearing, the platforming was pretty much entirely gone, and the puzzles didn't feel nearly as interesting or as well thought out.

I also really liked the early-twentieth century style the game had as opposed to the mid nineteenth century style of WA5 and the previous games. Oh, and best ending ever, too.
    "It's okay to fail as long as you learn that you failed!" - Neptune, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
    Follow me on Twitter
    Read my serialized, comedy-fantasy web novel, The Almanac of All Things - http://www.thealmanac.ca - Read All of Part One Now!

Yep, WA4 is really different and that's why its good.