Thread: RPGCast - Episode 238: "Torchlight II Minutes To Showtime"

Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflict Administrator sabin1001's Avatar

RPGCast - Episode 238: "Torchlight II Minutes To Showtime"

RPGCast - Episode 238: "Torchlight II Minutes To Showtime"

RPGamer's panel does a great job resisting the temptation to play tons of Torchlight II instead of bringing you today's show. Obsidian has a new kickstarter, Black and White 2 has an exclusive Pokémon for early adopters, and Nintendo has some news about a new console or something.

You can find the links to all our stories on delicious: http://delicious.com/rpgamer/238

RPGCast streams live on Saturday at Noon Eastern / 9 AM Pacific.

Leave your feedback in the following ways!
    Post in this thread.
    Email us at podcast@rpgamer.com
    Leave us a voicemail at (608) 729-4098
    Email us an mp3 or m4a voicemail at podcast@rpgamer.com

Download the show: "Torchlight II Minutes To Showtime"
    Subscribe to the feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/Rpgcast
    Subscribe in iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...t?id=264306390
    Subscribe your Zune: Zune Player Link

I didn't learn anything! MasterChief's Avatar
    First off, I just had an epiphany. Why not have your wedding on a farm? It could be a cute little Harvest Moon-themed deal.

I'm actually surprised that City of Heroes is shutting down. I was always under the impression that the game was somewhat successful. Any other NCSoft games getting the axe that people should know about?

The odds on Project Eternity having a playable launch is about -100%. People kickstarting it or buying it when it comes out are going to be beta-testing for a year at least.

In the previous episode, it was mentioned that League of Legends on Mac was no longer supported. While the last test on WineHQ lists it as "garbage" on Mac OSX with Wine 1.5.10, it may have improved for the current version, 1.5.13. In the meantime, it's probably a good idea to bookmark WineHQ.org, as more games are becoming playable with every successive version.

Anyway, on the Wii U, I have only this to say.

"What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterChief View Post
    I'm actually surprised that City of Heroes is shutting down. I was always under the impression that the game was somewhat successful. Any other NCSoft games getting the axe that people should know about?
    City of Heroes is the fourth MMO shut down by NCSoft in NA/Europe. The previous three were Auto Assault, Tabula Rasa & Exteel. Tabula Rasa is the interesting one as Wiki indicates:

Richard Garriott announced that he was leaving NCAustin and Tabula Rasa in an open letter to the community, though he now claims this letter was in fact written by NCsoft as a means of forcing him out. The announcement was made while Garriott was in quarantine after returning from his spaceflight in October, and the announcement claimed he was inspired by the space travel experience to pursue other interests.
    Richard Garriott sued NCsoft for $24,000,000 USD.[35] Garriott sued for damages relative to his termination from the parent company NCsoft.[36] Garriott's allegation states that NC Soft terminated his employment, then fraudulently reported his termination as willful resignation in order to preserve the right to terminate Garriot's stock options unless he exercised them himself within 90 days of termination, forcing Garriott into a decision to purchase stock with which a loss was incurred worth dozens of millions in profit for Mr. Garriott. Additionally, the news of the termination was issued while Mr. Garriott was confined to quarantine from the space flight, which was originally intended to be a publicity move to further promote the game and increase revenue. In July 2010, an Austin District Court awarded Garriott US$28 million in his lawsuit against NCsoft, finding that the company did not appropriately handle his departure in 2008. NCsoft stated that it intended to appeal the decision.

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

Loved the line about Obsidian's kickstarter paying for a QA team.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups

Quin - I said "Getting," not "got." I wonder what else NC is shutting down atm that I haven't heard about. More importantly, why shut down CoH? Was it not as successful as I believed? Or are there just not enough people paying for things?

Quote Originally Posted by MasterChief View Post
    Quin - I said "Getting," not "got." I wonder what else NC is shutting down atm that I haven't heard about. More importantly, why shut down CoH? Was it not as successful as I believed? Or are there just not enough people paying for things?
    Oh, I know, I was just indicating NCSoft's history of shuttering MMOs that don't meet their financial expectations. No clear reason has been given for CoH's shutdown, but blame has been leveled at NCSoft wanting to focus on ArenaNet/Guild Wars 2, or the fact they're bringing over their own TERA-like Blade & Soul.

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    Scuttlebutt is that NCSoft has decided to (with the exception of ArenaNet/GW2) focus primarily on its Korean-style products. As one of its older "Western" MMOs, City of Heroes supposedly just didn't make the cut, despite being more profitable than some of NCSoft's other titles. I don't know if this rumor is actually true, but it's what's going around.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

From what I know City of Heroes is usually considered the worst of the 3 big super hero MMORPG (DC Universe and Champions Online are both considered better by most). I won't really miss it, I just always feel sorry for the people who put $100 or more into an MMORPG just to lose all their characters suddenly.

Tabula Rasa is pretty much the most unique MMORPG of those that were shut down by NCSoft. That was a bummer.

But the only MMORPG I'm still incredibly sad it got shut down is Tales of Eternia Online. Man this one was so good... WHYYYYY.

Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflict Administrator sabin1001's Avatar
    Also, looking for the reader named John Chao to discuss some extralife business from last year. Anyone know him?

Chris mentioned that too many MMO's to play too little time and now torchlight thing. I' not in the same situation as Chris, my MMO play is not scheduled fun time with established friends and guildies. But yeah, too little time what to play is a good sort of dilema, sometimes I have the same type of dilema between my MMO and a book. I really liked TERA, I had actually maxed out my Elin cleric, and I enjoyed what I played of it, I just encountered an incompatible person, so I left the game to cool off. Anyway, if the game doesn't get axed , I will eventually return and sample the PvP when it gets introduced. Bizarrely, due to the lack of urgency in being free-to-play my Guild Wars 2 is having a hiatus, while I return to frustrating lagging out Diablo3 (I said to myself I wouldn't but it's almost like a one armed bandit), those freakin "Paragon" levels I got 15 of them now, only now, do I make some kinda soft cap of 146 magic find I think it gurantees 2 yellow drops from elites. It's Thursday before I get Torchlight 2 and when I get it I will play it to death ignoreing all else including my poor Char in GW2.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocelot View Post
    Scuttlebutt is that NCSoft has decided to (with the exception of ArenaNet/GW2) focus primarily on its Korean-style products. As one of its older "Western" MMOs, City of Heroes supposedly just didn't make the cut, despite being more profitable than some of NCSoft's other titles. I don't know if this rumor is actually true, but it's what's going around.
    That would be an... Interesting reason, if it turned out to be true. Sad and shortsighted, but interesting. I'm all for a company narrowing down their line-up and figuring out what they're best suited for, but it makes no sense at all to scuttle profitable ventures that could be used to help fund other initiatives.

Then again, what do I know?

Listening to the Obsidian kickstarter discussion, I don't think you understand the following they have among fans of (primarily) western rpgs. It's not a huge following, but it's an extremely enthusiastic one. Black Isle developed Fallout 1 & 2, Icewind Dale 1 & 2, and Planescape: Torment, and helped Bioware with the Baldur's Gate series. As Obsidian, they've been working mostly with other developer's IP's and/or game engines, and while I've enjoyed their games (Fallout New Vegas was my favorite), this is their chance to do their own thing (Alpha Protocol was their own thing, but they were kind of hamstrung by Sega). Project Eternity has the lead designers of Fallout 1 (Tim Cain), Icewind Dale 2 (Josh Sawyer), and IMO the best RPG ever made, Planescape: Torment (Chris Avellone) all working together, so I don't think many of their fans needed any concept art to get excited.

And about the QA comment, Dungeon Siege 3 was in pretty good shape in terms of bugs, and perhaps not coincidentally, it was their first time working with their own engine. The South Park RPG is using the same engine, so when that comes out, we'll probably have a better idea of what to expect from them in the future on that front.

Is Torchlight II released in the US already? Because here, it still states end of October...

Quia ego sic dico RPGamer Staff Severin Mira's Avatar
    It is released worldwide tomorrow (20th September) on Steam.

Boxed copies may have a later release date, but as I understand these are only available in Germany and Russia (everywhere else is download-only).
    Last edited by Severin Mira; 09-19-2012 at 02:48 AM.
    "Ab Hoc Possum Videre Domum Tuum."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU), severin-US (US) | Skype: severinmk
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevirain Kristinger (Leviathan)