Thread: RPGCast - Episode 239: "FTTGS"

Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflict Administrator sabin1001's Avatar

RPGCast - Episode 239: "FTTGS"

RPGCast - Episode 239: "FTTGS"

Look, let's just be honest with each other, we all what's going to happen here. You want to play FTL, Torchlight 2, or Borderlands 2. We want to talk about those games as well as TGS. But we can make this work. So how about you download the show and a copy of one of the above games, and we'll keep you entertained for an hour a a half while playing.

You can find the links to all our stories on delicious: http://delicious.com/rpgamer/239

RPGCast streams live on Saturday at Noon Eastern / 9 AM Pacific.

Leave your feedback in the following ways!
    Post in this thread.
    Email us at podcast@rpgamer.com
    Leave us a voicemail at (608) 729-4098
    Email us an mp3 or m4a voicemail at podcast@rpgamer.com

Download the show: "FTTGS"
    Subscribe to the feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/Rpgcast
    Subscribe in iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...t?id=264306390
    Subscribe your Zune: Zune Player Link

Chris, I'm actually surprised to hear your preference for D3 over TL2 for the loot hunt. I've been really underwhelmed by D3's loot, and that's the main reason I think that I haven't been playing the game much lately. Blizzard screwed up on the aspect of the game that I'd never have imagined them getting wrong.

The problem is mainly that very little loot is worth anything. Most rares (and even legendaries) are vendor trash or sell for a pittance on the AH (so little it's usually not worth bothering). As far as I can tell, the reason for this is that there are only a few things that can make an item worth using. For example:

You get a rare weapon. Does it have a huge damage bonus? If not, it's worth nothing. That alone eliminates probably 90% of rare weapons as vendor trash. If it does have a decent damage bonus, does it have a big stat bonus for any classes that can make use of the weapon? If not it won't be worth much, though that depends on the size of the damage bonus. That's about it for weapons.

With armor, you need class-specific stats and vitality. There's resistance bonuses, but those don't make anywhere near the difference they did in D2. There's magic find, but that doesn't matter as much as it used to.

This just wasn't the case in D2. Some rares were vendor trash, but quite a few were good, either to use yourself of to trade. There was a huge variety of interesting attributes items could have that made them worth using (and fun to use) in addition to core stats and damage bonuses. I spend far too much time browsing the AH for useful items for my characters and doing price checks for the few possibly valuable (usually not) items I've found personally.

I love the combat system, but the loot has been such a disappointment to me that I just don't find myself wanting to play D3 very often anymore.