Thread: Editorial - Sequel Slump: Yakuza 3

Dread News Editor RPGamer Staff Fowl Sorcerous's Avatar

Post Editorial - Sequel Slump: Yakuza 3

Just because the number on the box is bigger, that doesn't mean the quality is greater. This new series of editorials delves into the hows and whys of sequels that fall short in RPGs, starting with a look at everyone's favourite gangster's PS3 debut.

this game made me hate orphans

Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff Nyx's Avatar
    I feel like I'm in a minor because none of the orphanage stuff bothered me in the game, and while the plot was semi-disjointed in spots (Yes, Mine is a terrible villain, but I kind of liked some of the previous ones like Kanda). There was too much of the orphanage stuff, which yeah, probably was overkill, but it didn't make me feel like the game wasn't fun to play.

On the other hand, Yakuza 4 doesn't have these problems at all. You get four stories that do a fairly good job of meeting up together at the end and weaving themselves neatly together. I do think at some point you should give it a whirl, and I promise you Hana is ten times cooler than the orphans. :P

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff 7thCircle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyx View Post
    I feel like I'm in a minor

Quote Originally Posted by Nyx View Post
    There was too much of the orphanage stuff, which yeah, probably was overkill, but it didn't make me feel like the game wasn't fun to play.
    I liked Yakuza 3, but I'm with Scott that the Okinawa scenes were a drag. The first time or two in the beginning were fine. The plot didn't have too urgent of a feel at first, and it wanted to show Kazuma's lame/happy life in retirement. When chapters repeatedly included slow Okinawa scenes, forcing you to help children get candy and find them when they run off for no reason... it wasn't fun, there were more important things to do, and it added nothing to the story. It was just filler, especially once teleporting to Kamurocho and back became no big deal. Fortunately, they were short enough that it didn't detract from the game too much. It did make me hate orphans too, though.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.

While I liked Yakuza 3 I agree it was the "worst" of the series with 2 still being the best.. but dont let your experience with 3 make you hesitate to play 4.. 4 is MUCH better than 3 was, 2 is still better than 4 but 4 beats 3 by a mile.