Thread: RPG Backtrack: Episode 79 - Dragonwyck

Code: Kirin RPGamer Staff JuMeSyn's Avatar

RPG Backtrack: Episode 79 - Dragonwyck

From the minds of Yuji Horii, Koichi Sugiyama, and Akira Toriyama came a long-running series that sets the charts afire in Japan. It grows up a bit in the games we talk about this time.
    Zenithia awaits.
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff Nyx's Avatar
    This episode really made me smile as I was listening. I'm super new to the DQ series, and while I tried to play DQ1 and DQ8 in the past, neither of them grabbed my attention. It was Macstorm giving me a copy of DQIV that I finally decided to give this series another shot, and I adored that game to pieces. It was just one of those games that was great for pick up and play, was simplistic for all the right reasons, and I thought the journey was actually pretty fun. I have V and VI (thanks to Mac and JuMeSyn), and after this podcast I'm really looking forward to diving into V, though I'm hesitating over VI. ;

Great episode guys!

Angel-Possessed Priestess Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    Even though the first Dragon Quest Backtrack was several months back, I still have yet to play any of the games other than DQIV. :P I did pick up Rocket Slime, though it'll be a while before I play it. I will get to them eventually.

Just for a bit of clarification though: Dragon Quest V was not the first game with monster catching. That would be Digital Devil Story: Megami Tensei for the Famicom back in 1987. Even with the very first game in the MegaTen metaseries, you could negotiate, recruit, and battle with demons you encounter.

Regardless, excellent episode!
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

I made the mistake of trying to marathon 9->4->5->6 and ended up dropping out before the big wedding sequence in V. Trying to find a Healslime really took me out of the game.

Great episode, and it makes me want to pick up V again and see if I can finish it off... and try to see if I can get a good price for VI DS.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups

Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff jcservant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaymin View Post
    I made the mistake of trying to marathon 9->4->5->6 and ended up dropping out before the big wedding sequence in V. Trying to find a Healslime really took me out of the game.

Great episode, and it makes me want to pick up V again and see if I can finish it off... and try to see if I can get a good price for VI DS.
    You know you want to. Ya gotta beat them all! Don't forget to grab and knock out VII while you're at it!!

Hey y'alllll. I realize this is an old thread, but I registered for these forums SOLELY to say that I discovered RPG Backtrack like two months ago and I've been really, really enjoying all of them ever since. I haven't been a regular RPG player for years, but I was hardcore into them throughout my pre-teen/teenage years, and in fact I was a regular visitor of this site way back when it was Square.net. Lolz! Anyway, it was such a treat to discover these podcasts and to hear you guys discuss many of my all time favorite games. Two of my best friends in adulthood happen to worship Final Fantasy 6 (they have great taste) and I made them both listen to the RPG Backtrack about FF4/FF6. I look forward to hearing the opinions and humorous barbs of several of the regular podcast participants each time I listen. In particular, I think JCSuperstar... I mean, JCServant and Macstorm are/were outstanding hosts, always good for heavy doses of informed opinion and a few laughs. Also, I'm originally from Alabama and it's amazing/hilarious to hear Macstorm discuss RPGs with his charming Southern drawl.

I just wanted to let the crew know how much I've enjoyed "getting to know you" through the podcasts over the last couple of months and rekindling my love of RPGs at the same time. GOOD SHIZZLE!!!

My request for a future episode: Xenogears!

Staff Healer RPGamer Staff TwinBahamut's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Poe22222 View Post
    My request for a future episode: Xenogears!
    First, we're all glad to hear that you're enjoying these!

Also, I'm not going to spoil when it will appear, but the Xenogears backtrack may not be very far of (though there is always the chance that I'll be very wrong about that). Expect me to do my best to dominate the conversation with lavish praise for it when the time comes.